Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #1

Trials and tribulations of a Kwikee electric step....

CAUTION! LONG READ!!! But no profanity, at least on paper.

Over the winter our electric steps quit operating in the retracted posiition. I decided to wait till spring to trouble shoot it. It became an odyssey....

First thing I went to look for the folder of manuals that came with the RV. It was no where to be found. Tore the house and RV apart trying to find it. Nada. I went online and downloaded some instructions. Went to print them and my printer wouldn't work. Finally got it working and manual printed. The recommended purchasing a pigtail from Kwikee for troubleshooting purposes. NOBODY had one in stock, had to order it. A few days later and it came in, but the dealer couldn't contact me because they called the wrong area code. I called them and nobody would answer in the parts department. Called the dealer operator and she paged someone. "Yes, it's in". I drove thirty minutes one way to get it. Came home and began troubleshooting. Get inside on the drivers side and looked up. There was all my manuals. I cut the wiring to the step motor and put a solderless quick disconnect in to make my life easier in the future. I found out the motor was bad as it didn't work at all when hotwired. I ordered a new motor. It came in today. I went to install it. There's no way to remove/install the motor assembly with the step retracted so I had to get the step extended. I'm going to do this by removing the pin that connects the step mechanism to the gearbox.....six or so inches inside working through a gap about 1" wide. First I have to remove a cutter pin. I bend the legs straight the best I can, then to pull the pin out. I actually have a cutter pin tool...trouble is the handle is also about 1" thick. But I finally get it out. Now for the pin. It's normally a slip fit, EXCEPT in the retracted or extended position. It was stuck. The best prybar I had for the job was about 1 1/4" wide.... A couple beers and a lot of cussing later I finally got the pin out and the step swiveled down. Yayyyyyyy! Took a bit over an hour to get the step down. Lots of room now! I took the old motor assembly off and tested it again. Dead. I put the new motor assembly on a replaced the pin. Took maybe five minutes. I used a clevis hitch pin, instead of a cotter pin to make my life easier should I ever have to do this again. Hooked the motor wiring and went to test it. Still dead. More cussing and I start to troubleshoot again. This time I can make the steps work by hot wiring it. I left the steps in the extended position to make access easier. Well.....I'm getting somewhere. But everything checks out going through the troubleshooting procedures and it says it must be in the RV wiring. The only thing I did to the wiring was installing the quick disconnects so I replaced them. The house door is closed and the steps should retract. NOPE! All the sudden a light bulb comes on above my head! Maybe the inside switch is in the locked position! It was! Turned it off, and closed the door....

Scroll down for the conclusion....

IT RETRACTED!!!!! IT WORKED!!!!! Time for a beer.....
chengdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

I recognize your frustration...

Why does this scenario sound like me on every project I undertake on our motorhome??? Hehehe
😁😁
gmccullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #3

When I have projects like that, I jump to the last step...
"Time for a beer"
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #4

It was beer thirty more than once....
Old 05-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengdave View Post
It was beer thirty more than once....
I do this same thing every time prepping for a trip. My hot water never works, I spend half an hour troubleshooting the heater, propane, fuses and everything else. I finally check the switch and find it off every time. Early onset Alzheimer's I guess.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

Look at all the knowledge u got abt step repair
santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #7

I'm an expert on Kwikee step repairs!!!!!
Old 05-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengdave View Post
I'm an expert on Kwikee step repairs!!!!!
Actually me too, replaced the magnetic wired switch twice and the swivel pin with a bolt on the motor.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #9

I could write a book on stupid. Spent the better part of two days on customer car working on tail/turn signal problem. Last solution (should have been first) was to check bulb. It did light but dim and would not go completely out. Wait for it::::::: wrong bulb single contact in double contact socket. Was contacting both contacts. Live and learn. Life is a Bitch and then you die.
You did fine. Now enjoy
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 AM   #10

I feel your pain. The first time ours died we completely removed the steps to get to the motor. We replaced it (it's heavy and awkward) it worked great. The second time it died on the way to the rally in Goshen. It was replaced there. Never be so inpatient and step on them before they're completely deployed. That motor is the same one they use on power windows in cars.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

Couple years ago I pulled the batteries for the winter. Next spring put the batteries back in went to move the rig, it wouldn't even turn over. Checked connections,checked fuzes,rechecked connections. Like you a light came on I remembered I had turned the battery switches off. Hellooo!
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric