Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Turbo Adaptor Ring no longer an issue?

Okay, so our Prism PDI isn't until Saturday (planning on less than 50% chance of actually driving it off as we've got a comprehensive PDI thanks to the folks on here).

Got our financing and insurance in place, but I'm a 'hand wringer' by nature and have been trying to pre-emptively figure out everything that can go wrong with a Sprinter so I can either preventively fix it or be in a better position and have the tools or parts on hand if something does go wrong.

I contacted the good folks at Europarts and asked about the Turbo Ring Adaptor failures on the '15 chassis on our Prism and the short answer was 'no longer an issue'.

I found that comforting as he could have easily sold me one. Ditto for the short turbo hoses that spilt prematurely a few years back.

Hope this is some comfort to other late model owners.

Now if I can just figure out the DEF issues others have had....
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #2

I have almost 13,000 miles on my 2015 chassis and have had zero problems with anything Mercedes. I hope this doesn't jinx me, but that little diesel has really impressed me.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

That is encouraging! Fingers crossed for us....
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfalbright View Post
I have almost 13,000 miles on my 2015 chassis and have had zero problems with anything Mercedes. I hope this doesn't jinx me, but that little diesel has really impressed me.
29,000 on my 2014 (13 chassis) and have had two wheels sensors replaced. Other than that "the little diesel that could".
Old 02-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #5

23000 on mine.....then wheel sensor....
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #6

What are the wheel sensors?

dogpa 201624R

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
What are the wheel sensors?
Most (all?) recent vehicles have wheel speed sensors. These are used by anti-skid / traction control type software to decide when to selectively apply brakes to a wheel to stop it from sliding rather than turning. (Or to slow it's spinning if it's lost traction.)

Anyway, if a sensor or it's connection to the computer fails, the software doesn't know what to do next and gets very unhappy.

Dave
Old 02-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #8

Thanks Dave. What an education we can get on here.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
2012 Solera

65,000 miles. Turbo ate the adaptor ring at about 25000; ESP (electronic stability processor) failed at about 55,000. Turbo problem a result of improper adaptor ring re-installation after 20k fuel filter replacement maintenance. Eventually, after review by CA Bureau of Automotive Repair and filing in Small Claims Court, reimbursed by facility that did the 20k maintenance. ESP failure - unknown cause and paid for by extended warranty.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
Thanks Dave. What an education we can get on here.

Dogpa
When a wheel sensor fails you normally get the ABS light accompanied with two other lights. When the ABS light comes on the cruise control will no longer operate. Your brake system will still function just like they did for the 100 years before all these fancy things came along. On some brake system malfunctions you can't drive very far/fast/at all. Depending on the failure.