Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Upgrade from Solera to Forester 2401W

First – I am delighted about that floor plan! I loved my 2013 Solera 24R, nothing wrong with it: but she saw the new floor plan and loved it so we traded and I do not regret it at all. It is so roomy and open it is incredibly and still has the same advantages my Solera had: a small MH you can park about anywhere, a quiet powerful engine and a very smooth ride, plenty of legroom (I hate the doghouse in those gassers) and a big very comfortable bed.
Besides the floor plan changes compared to the 2013 model I really like: Daylight running mode changed to just 2 small lights lit, there is (actually it’s a 2 way switch) a light switch for the ceiling lights next to the steps at the entry, couple more options on the speedometer readout, plenty of Usb ports and more 110V outlets, outside lights are Led now too, bed is the same size but has a very comfortable foam topper built in and the front cab has a new more appealing shape which is much easier to clean.
The u-shaped dinette is a bit more comfortable than the booth dinette – in addition I bought 2 ottoman from Amazon for 25$ each – not only do the add storage they extend the dinette for footrest. (Highly recommend those!). And it makes a bed where somebody of my size (6 ft+) can sleep too…
The bathroom is great too…the (I guess now standard) bowed shower curtain gives a lot more room to move around. The 2nd table between the front seats is useless for us, restricts movement around the coach and we leave it at home.
Storage: we were kind of worried not having enough, but it turned out we have. Would be nice if FR would have added some little cabinets right and left over the dinette and or above the bed – will do that later myself. Outside storage is a lot less than in the 24R but more useful due to many small compartments and more than enough for us.
We just came home from a 5000 mile / 7 week shakedown cruise and do not regret the decision to switch motor homes. Of course the list of warranty items which have to be fixed is pretty long, but nothing prevented the use of the coach. Construction quality, especially quality control, is –as expected – not the best but not worse than any other coach. We hope to get everything resolved soon but now we have to deal with wait time to get warranty work approved thru FR and then it will take the dealer at least 2 weeks to get parts needed!!!
Overall we are very happy with our new coach, in addition fuel consumption is about 1.3mpg better then the Solera – I guess the new cab over shape and lower overall height do that.
Hans
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

I hope you will have better luck than I on warranty works. They had my rig for two weeks for about 10 different minor fixes. They got 2 out of 10 and they were sorry on the rest. Technicians forgot to read work order. On top of it they gave my black tank a good load. How can one forget to read work order?????? FR assigned a person to help find other places because most refused to do warranty works. The issue is I didn't purchase the rig from them. Don't they get pay from FR for works done? I would think money is money. That is childish practice, but they do. Times will tell if FR can help me out. Like you I'm so thankful my rig only have minor fixes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

We are very happy with the features and layout of our W. That is, as long as the features don't fail.
I had a long list of items to fix. With a lot of hassle, they have been all fixed under warranty by dealer except one: the fresh tank leak, which I just fixed myself yesterday. It's a slow leak from underneath the coach near fresh tank. The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. It turned out that it leaked only when the pump was on, which I turned off when taking it to the dealer.
After I removed the plastic cover underneath the fresh tank, it was obvious one of the hoses (the red one) wasn't sealed properly. So a couple of rounds of teflon tape did the trick.
Anyone knows the function of this red hose? Drainage from the pump? What's the blue hose for? The white one is fresh tank drain.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #4

We love our "W". Everybody is paranoid about the slide. Haven't had any real problems with anything yet...just minor things I took care of on my own. The slide was the reason I bought this...and the diesel

Do you have a picture or link for the ottoman?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
We are very happy with the features and layout of our W. That is, as long as the features don't fail.
I had a long list of items to fix. With a lot of hassle, they have been all fixed under warranty by dealer except one: the fresh tank leak, which I just fixed myself yesterday. It's a slow leak from underneath the coach near fresh tank. The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. It turned out that it leaked only when the pump was on, which I turned off when taking it to the dealer.
After I removed the plastic cover underneath the fresh tank, it was obvious one of the hoses (the red one) wasn't sealed properly. So a couple of rounds of teflon tape did the trick.
Anyone knows the function of this red hose? Drainage from the pump? What's the blue hose for? The white one is fresh tank drain.

Red and blue look like low point drains. Normally used during winterizing.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Red and blue look like low point drains. Normally used during winterizing.
Makes sense. If the red is for the pump, the blue may be for the water heater?
Luckily we don't have to winterize our RV, thanks to the warm climate in SoCal.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

Red would be for hot water line drain and blue for cold.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #8

I'm seeing low point blue line in 2401R. It's right under fresh water tank. Does it also has a red low point line some where else?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Do you have a picture or link for the ottoman?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
I'm seeing low point blue line in 2401R. It's right under fresh water tank. Does it also has a red low point line some where else?
The one under the tank is (most likely) the tank drain. The low point drains can help draining water out of the pex water lines inside the RV. For my 24R model they're near the main door step, under the kitchen sink. There are two, one red (hot water lines) and one blue (cold), and both have caps on the end which can be twisted to open and close the drains. You may have to get under a bit to see them.

Dave
Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #11

HomeOnWheels , I hope I do not run into problems posting this picture but it clarifies the plumbing...the area below the shower in the W looked at from the rear.
When you remove the plastic cover underneath the fresh tank you should see 3 hoses - the fresh water drain and 2 low point drains for hot and cold water. In my case they are all white as they are in the picture, if you look closely where the blue and red hoses exit the coach to underneath the ends are clear (white) but are just extensions of the red and blue...
The 24r had the low point drains underneath next to each other right next to the steps, the low point drain in the left rear compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01617.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	122122  
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

Make sure you check your roof. I have had my MBS 2401R for 6 months and the roof is separating from the overhead over the windshield. Coach is at the dealer and they said that FR probably would not warrant repair. Waiting to hear from dealer and Forest River
Jhouns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #13

Thanks Dave. Yes they are right next to the step as you said.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhouns View Post
Make sure you check your roof. I have had my MBS 2401R for 6 months and the roof is separating from the overhead over the windshield. Coach is at the dealer and they said that FR probably would not warrant repair. Waiting to hear from dealer and Forest River
What is the reasoning not to fix it under warranty after 6 months????? Can you supply more info and pictures? It is hard to believe for me - yes I know all about quality issues but support from FR and Representatives here on the board has been outstanding in my opinion!
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
HomeOnWheels , I hope I do not run into problems posting this picture but it clarifies the plumbing...the area below the shower in the W looked at from the rear.
When you remove the plastic cover underneath the fresh tank you should see 3 hoses - the fresh water drain and 2 low point drains for hot and cold water. In my case they are all white as they are in the picture, if you look closely where the blue and red hoses exit the coach to underneath the ends are clear (white) but are just extensions of the red and blue...
The 24r had the low point drains underneath next to each other right next to the steps, the low point drain in the left rear compartment.
That helps. I find the low point drains impossible to access without removing the bottom cover. Also, to my surprise, there is no heating pad for the fresh tank (see picture). Is it not a problem in winter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475632414622.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	122174  
Old 10-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #16

Thanks for removing cap just to answer my question. Aren't you glad you are living in San Diego?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
That helps. I find the low point drains impossible to access without removing the bottom cover. Also, to my surprise, there is no heating pad for the fresh tank (see picture). Is it not a problem in winter?
I believe thats why they switched to the clear ends - they are way more flexible than those red and blue plex hoses.
Heating pads? I never used them anyhow in 4 years....and on battery they will switch off anyhow after 5 - 10 Minutes...they have a realy high amp draw.
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Old 10-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
Thanks...I ordered 2 of them
Old 10-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #19

Red is hot water lines and blue is cold water lines. The quality of the way they are built sometimes you may want to take that with a grain of salt.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Thanks...I ordered 2 of them
Bob I recommend - if you dont have already - 2 of those vent filler cushions. Put them on top of the ottoman gives
you the same exact height as the dinette, very comfortable for your feet.
Same for storage while driving- one I leave on the floor and one in the cabover with the 2 cushions on top: it did not move on my 5000 mile trip.
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?

Tags
forester, solera, upgrade