Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Upgrade from Solera to Forester 2401W

First – I am delighted about that floor plan! I loved my 2013 Solera 24R, nothing wrong with it: but she saw the new floor plan and loved it so we traded and I do not regret it at all. It is so roomy and open it is incredibly and still has the same advantages my Solera had: a small MH you can park about anywhere, a quiet powerful engine and a very smooth ride, plenty of legroom (I hate the doghouse in those gassers) and a big very comfortable bed.
Besides the floor plan changes compared to the 2013 model I really like: Daylight running mode changed to just 2 small lights lit, there is (actually it’s a 2 way switch) a light switch for the ceiling lights next to the steps at the entry, couple more options on the speedometer readout, plenty of Usb ports and more 110V outlets, outside lights are Led now too, bed is the same size but has a very comfortable foam topper built in and the front cab has a new more appealing shape which is much easier to clean.
The u-shaped dinette is a bit more comfortable than the booth dinette – in addition I bought 2 ottoman from Amazon for 25$ each – not only do the add storage they extend the dinette for footrest. (Highly recommend those!). And it makes a bed where somebody of my size (6 ft+) can sleep too…
The bathroom is great too…the (I guess now standard) bowed shower curtain gives a lot more room to move around. The 2nd table between the front seats is useless for us, restricts movement around the coach and we leave it at home.
Storage: we were kind of worried not having enough, but it turned out we have. Would be nice if FR would have added some little cabinets right and left over the dinette and or above the bed – will do that later myself. Outside storage is a lot less than in the 24R but more useful due to many small compartments and more than enough for us.
We just came home from a 5000 mile / 7 week shakedown cruise and do not regret the decision to switch motor homes. Of course the list of warranty items which have to be fixed is pretty long, but nothing prevented the use of the coach. Construction quality, especially quality control, is –as expected – not the best but not worse than any other coach. We hope to get everything resolved soon but now we have to deal with wait time to get warranty work approved thru FR and then it will take the dealer at least 2 weeks to get parts needed!!!
Overall we are very happy with our new coach, in addition fuel consumption is about 1.3mpg better then the Solera – I guess the new cab over shape and lower overall height do that.
Hans

Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

I hope you will have better luck than I on warranty works. They had my rig for two weeks for about 10 different minor fixes. They got 2 out of 10 and they were sorry on the rest. Technicians forgot to read work order. On top of it they gave my black tank a good load. How can one forget to read work order?????? FR assigned a person to help find other places because most refused to do warranty works. The issue is I didn't purchase the rig from them. Don't they get pay from FR for works done? I would think money is money. That is childish practice, but they do. Times will tell if FR can help me out. Like you I'm so thankful my rig only have minor fixes.

raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

We are very happy with the features and layout of our W. That is, as long as the features don't fail.
I had a long list of items to fix. With a lot of hassle, they have been all fixed under warranty by dealer except one: the fresh tank leak, which I just fixed myself yesterday. It's a slow leak from underneath the coach near fresh tank. The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. It turned out that it leaked only when the pump was on, which I turned off when taking it to the dealer.
After I removed the plastic cover underneath the fresh tank, it was obvious one of the hoses (the red one) wasn't sealed properly. So a couple of rounds of teflon tape did the trick.
Anyone knows the function of this red hose? Drainage from the pump? What's the blue hose for? The white one is fresh tank drain.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #4

We love our "W". Everybody is paranoid about the slide. Haven't had any real problems with anything yet...just minor things I took care of on my own. The slide was the reason I bought this...and the diesel

Do you have a picture or link for the ottoman?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
We are very happy with the features and layout of our W. That is, as long as the features don't fail.
I had a long list of items to fix. With a lot of hassle, they have been all fixed under warranty by dealer except one: the fresh tank leak, which I just fixed myself yesterday. It's a slow leak from underneath the coach near fresh tank. The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. It turned out that it leaked only when the pump was on, which I turned off when taking it to the dealer.
After I removed the plastic cover underneath the fresh tank, it was obvious one of the hoses (the red one) wasn't sealed properly. So a couple of rounds of teflon tape did the trick.
Anyone knows the function of this red hose? Drainage from the pump? What's the blue hose for? The white one is fresh tank drain.

Red and blue look like low point drains. Normally used during winterizing.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Red and blue look like low point drains. Normally used during winterizing.
Makes sense. If the red is for the pump, the blue may be for the water heater?
Luckily we don't have to winterize our RV, thanks to the warm climate in SoCal.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Red would be for hot water line drain and blue for cold.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #8

I'm seeing low point blue line in 2401R. It's right under fresh water tank. Does it also has a red low point line some where else?
raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Do you have a picture or link for the ottoman?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
I'm seeing low point blue line in 2401R. It's right under fresh water tank. Does it also has a red low point line some where else?
The one under the tank is (most likely) the tank drain. The low point drains can help draining water out of the pex water lines inside the RV. For my 24R model they're near the main door step, under the kitchen sink. There are two, one red (hot water lines) and one blue (cold), and both have caps on the end which can be twisted to open and close the drains. You may have to get under a bit to see them.

Dave

Tags
forester, solera, upgrade