Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Use of pump while connected to city water

The pressure of city water is low. Will it hurt the water pump if I turn it on?
Old 12-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #2

I could be wrong but the pump only sucks and pumps water from the water holding tank. i don't see how it will increase water pressure while using city water connections. In fact if your water holding tank is empty the pump would be sucking air and running dry which is probably not good for the pump itself. If you have a pressure regulator in line with your hose you might try removing it just watch out that the city water pressure doesn't rise to high for some reason.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #3

No. It will not hurt the pump, just make sure you have water in the tank. I have had the problem at some parks low water pressure. Fine for sinks, I just turned on pump to take a shower with tank water. Remember pump draws water from tank.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post

If shore pressure is connected and on, the pressure switch will read the shore pressure and prevent the pump from operating. If you attempt to operate the pump anyway, shore pressure will damage the suction non return valve and allow back flow into your tank. Plenty of threads on the forum about this. You can fill the tank, secure shore pressure an then use the tank and pump.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Thanks all for the quick replies. It makes sense the pump only takes water from tank. I therefore filled it and switched on the pump. Of course I disconnected the city water.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
If shore pressure is connected and on, the pressure switch will read the shore pressure and prevent the pump from operating. If you attempt to operate the pump anyway, shore pressure will damage the suction non return valve and allow back flow into your tank. Plenty of threads on the forum about this. You can fill the tank, secure shore pressure an then use the tank and pump.

Not sure this is entirely true. Would depend on the input pressure from the city water line. If the city pressure is higher than what demand for the pump is, it won't run anyway. The pressure switch/backflow preventer is always subjected to city water pressure, regardless if pump is on or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Not sure this is entirely true. Would depend on the input pressure from the city water line. If the city pressure is higher than what demand for the pump is, it won't run anyway. The pressure switch/backflow preventer is always subjected to city water pressure, regardless if pump is on or not.

X2. I use the tank water and pump all the time at Rally's to have a decent shower.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
The RV operators manual states "do not" operate the pump while connected to external water source. As long as you turn off city water, not a problem.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
X2. I use the tank water and pump all the time at Rally's to have a decent shower.
does that work B&B ? I always carry a rain bird pressure gage with me to check the water pressure at the site. If under 55 psi I don't use a regulator. I know that's probably a bad Idea, just in case of a spike, but in reality I have never seen it go up once it's measured but it can. My system works best at that pressure of 55 psi. Your thoughts please?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post

Here we go again, post from today. This back flow has been going on since xxxxx was a child. Only when the pump is paralleled to shore water.

"have a 2013 Rockwood A127TH. Today, I came out to a park and hooked up the water line. About an hour later I noticed that water was flowing out from the fresh water tank inlet (located outside of the camper on the left side). I know for certain my fresh water tank was empty before arriving, but it's now full. Once I turned off the park's water line (eliminating that water pressure to the camper), the water is no longer flowing from the fresh water tank inlet, but the fresh water tank is still full. What is going on? I'm not losing water at any other point. Could this be an issue with the fresh water pump allowing water to pass from the city water line thru the pump into the fresh water tank?"

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
If your City water Press is (Below) Water pump Press and you have F/W in your Tank,it is OK to have (Both On) at the same time! We have a Pump that puts out (55 PSI) and also a 5 Gallon Bladder pressure tank that Feeds constant flow to the system while on Pump so there is (Pressure) on the Water Pump check valve and the City Water check valve at ALL times! So City Water at anything Below (55 PSI) is NOT going to damage our check valve ! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If your City water Press is (Below) Water pump Press and you have F/W in your Tank,it is OK to have (Both On) at the same time! We have a Pump that puts out (55 PSI) and also a 5 Gallon Bladder pressure tank that Feeds constant flow to the system while on Pump so there is (Pressure) on the Water Pump check valve and the City Water check valve at ALL times! So City Water at anything Below (55 PSI) is NOT going to damage our check valve ! Youroo!!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #13

Both on works if CG pressure is low. We had to run the pump at a CG we stayed at tis year. Sinks were fine but shower was terrible, turned on pump and you could take a shower. Pump works fine now!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Another gauge to bring?!
I suppose if the pressure is noticeably low, I can safely assume the pressure is below 55 psi and won't damage the pump?
Old 12-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #15

I replaced my city connection with one that has a built in regulator. Reason I changed was the new one is recessed not sticking out like the old. Also changed FW tank fill to one with a door.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Another gauge to bring?!
I suppose if the pressure is noticeably low, I can safely assume the pressure is below 55 psi and won't damage the pump?
A water pressure guage/regulator is something every camper should have!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #17

A32Deuce, where did you get the city water connection with the built in regulator? Was it a hard swap?

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #18

dogpa, I used a Shurflo #7222 recessed city water inlet with pressure reduction. Removed what came on RV, used a grinding bit in a drill to increase opening then Dicor around the opening hooked up hose and attached to side of RV. Now it doesn't stick out and I don't need an external pressure regulator. Camping World, Amazon, or any of the other RV supplyers.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #19

A32deuce thanks much. I am not currently using a regulator and my "brand new" unit fresh water inlet leaks.
Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water