Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #1

Valterra waste valve at pipe end

So, I have lost faith in both my gray and black water valves. I had the black one replaced under warranty in April, but it is leaking already and the gray one leaked on our last trip. I will probably get in there in the fall and deal with the issue myself, but don't want to crawl under there in the 95 degree heat. Anyway, I bought a valve to go on the end of the pipe where it meets the flex hose, but there were no instructions. It looks like you just cut off the old bayonet end and use the black ABS glue to attach this one. Anyone put one of these on?

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T50-.../dp/B00594B1KA
browser5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

no! get the twist on type!

of course you could cut and glue but get the twist on type and just twist it on. also made by valterra
Old 07-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #3

Right! What CHICKDOE said. This one will just twist on: Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS..._Jl8oDb984PFQC
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #4

Already bought the glue in one, I don't want one more joint to leak. I am frankly fed up with the waste system on this. 6k miles, already had the black gate replaced, the cables are stiff as hell to pull to dump, not impressed with FR engineering.
browser5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 PM   #5

I use the twist on valve. Should be standard equipment. Second trailer I have one on. Twist it on and leave it. Thousands of miles no problems.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I use the twist on valve. Should be standard equipment. Second trailer I have one on. Twist it on and leave it. Thousands of miles no problems.
X2, plus if it wears out just twist off and add a new one. You can only cut your waste pipe off so many times...

Send the other one back....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:19 AM   #7

I've carried the twist-on gate valve for years to be a temporary fix if either the black or gray valve were to ever start leaking(they haven't yet), ... but, recently I've found another use that it's perfect for as well, ... "the gray water flush of the black tank" ... when at a dump station where it's not possible to attach the water to the black tank flush to do more cleaning, ... I attach the twist-on valve, open it and drain the black tank as usual, then close the twist-on valve - but leave the black valve open- then open the gray valve, ... the gray water will flow into the black tank until the volume is balanced between the two tanks - close the gray valve - open the twist-on valve and the black tank will drain one more time, ... then finish by using the rest of the gray water to rinse the hose as always, ... works great

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser5031 View Post
Already bought the glue in one, I don't want one more joint to leak. I am frankly fed up with the waste system on this. 6k miles, already had the black gate replaced, the cables are stiff as hell to pull to dump, not impressed with FR engineering.
Even though you bought the one you have now, you should take the advice given here and not use it. Instead, buy and use the valve CHICKDOE suggested and provided a link for. You won’t regret it. You probably will regret using the valve you already purchased.

You came here for advice, and you got it. You got good advice. Why not take advantage of the purpose of this forum and make your life a little easier?

Bruce
Old 07-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I use the twist on gate permanently and carry a second for the below situation.

If you ever need to run your hose uphill to a sewer connection that sticks out of the ground, you can clip two valves together and avoid getting your feet wet when you disconnect the hose after dumping.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #10

We use the twist on Valtera.

The problem with our rig is that the connection is lower to the ground than we like and we lost a couple to 'twisting off' when we were close to bottoming out. Solved that problem by twisting the valve so that the pull out valve is as close to the bottom of the rig as possible while giving enough room to pull out the valve to empty.

We considered the glue on valve, but that seemed like a lot more work than using the twist on valve.

With the twist on valve, you open that one first to eliminate any 'leakage' from the original valves, then open the other valves to empty as normal.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #11

Dump Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser5031 View Post
So, I have lost faith in both my gray and black water valves. I had the black one replaced under warranty in April, but it is leaking already and the gray one leaked on our last trip. I will probably get in there in the fall and deal with the issue myself, but don't want to crawl under there in the 95 degree heat. Anyway, I bought a valve to go on the end of the pipe where it meets the flex hose, but there were no instructions. It looks like you just cut off the old bayonet end and use the black ABS glue to attach this one. Anyone put one of these on?

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T50-.../dp/B00594B1KA
PLEASE....put the glue away and get the Twist On !! You WILL regret it if you don't BECAUSE those other valve's are STILL there and the twist on/off is so simple to remove and the GLUE is forever unless you cut it off and the glue on valve AND the twist on WILL leak someday!! Happy Dumps...RA
NCRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #12

Pic for post #7

this is a followup to #7 post and to show how the twist-on valve is a versatile and very useful tool to carry, ... I also use the short clear piece in my setup, it helps me see when the movement of gray water has stopped and I know all the gray water that is going to go into the black tank has done so, the first time I did this, I had to rely on "hearing" the water stop flowing, seeing is better, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1153.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	210960  

Old 07-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If the clear piece is too long and sticks out too far you can connect the new valve directly and add the lear piece between the twist on valve and hose. I use a clear 90. You could also use a clear 90 in place of the straight one. You could then place the twist on the 90 and it would be closer to the undercarriage.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #14

Do the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I've carried the twist-on gate valve for years to be a temporary fix if either the black or gray valve were to ever start leaking(they haven't yet), ... but, recently I've found another use that it's perfect for as well, ... "the gray water flush of the black tank" ... when at a dump station where it's not possible to attach the water to the black tank flush to do more cleaning, ... I attach the twist-on valve, open it and drain the black tank as usual, then close the twist-on valve - but leave the black valve open- then open the gray valve, ... the gray water will flow into the black tank until the volume is balanced between the two tanks - close the gray valve - open the twist-on valve and the black tank will drain one more time, ... then finish by using the rest of the gray water to rinse the hose as always, ... works great
Couldn't you do exactly the same thing by simply putting the cap on the original outlet and then opening both valves? Let it flush until the levels equalize, close both valves, and then hold the hose under the outlet as you remove the cap to catch the pint or so of gray water that's below the two valves.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
this is a followup to #7 post and to show how the twist-on valve is a versatile and very useful tool to carry, ... I also use the short clear piece in my setup, it helps me see when the movement of gray water has stopped and I know all the gray water that is going to go into the black tank has done so, the first time I did this, I had to rely on "hearing" the water stop flowing, seeing is better, ...
Thanks for following up Fella. I couldn't figure out why you wouldn't just leave the twist on on permanently. The pic and description make it clear.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #16

I got tired of black valve cable problems and put in an electric valve. No more problems

I also have the twist on valve with flush connection to flush gray tanks.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #17

Tiggerdad, ... the clear piece is to see when the water movement has settled down, that tells me that all of the gray water that is going to go into the black tank is in there, ... the twist-on valve has to be closed during that time to keep the water from running on out the hose to the dump hole and the clear piece has to be on the trailer side of that valve to see that water movement, if it's on the other side of the valve I won't see anything until I open the twist-on valve to drain the black tank of that gray water and that's not what I'm wanting to see, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Couldn't you do exactly the same thing by simply putting the cap on the original outlet and then opening both valves? Let it flush until the levels equalize, close both valves, and then hold the hose under the outlet as you remove the cap to catch the pint or so of gray water that's below the two valves.

Yes, I suppose so, ... but with 36" of 1 1/2" pipe, pulse 5" of 3" pipe all full of gray w/some black mix water, that will certainly be more than a pint, ... and the action of the gray flowing into the black tank does result in a mixture right in the area of the black tank valve, ... that's one thing that I can definitely see with the clear piece, ... just don't want to deal with the mess that could result, ... the first time I did this flush(before using the twist-on valve or the clear piece), I just lifted the short dump hose higher than the tanks and that kept the water in, but then to put the hose back in the dump hole, I had to lower it quickly, and still there was a little spill, ... the setup I have now works great and is surprisingly clean and quick, ...

Old 07-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Do you leave all that connected while towing. The whole purpose of this thread was to deal with a leaky main valve and adding the twist on as a secondary backup valve. Unless you leave the clear tube and the twist on you have kinda deleted the reason to add the twist on because to set this up you need to remove the cap from the main drain and hope there is no surprise

If no, then you’re adding a new subject about a way to flush your black tank with grey water. I would just put the elbow on the outlet and leave closed and then open the black and grey and walk away for 5 minutes and do other things. I would also get a 90 degree sewer pipe adapter that has the clear plastic so I can see when my tanks are drained.

Different strokes for different folks....

Old 07-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Do you leave all that connected while towing. The whole purpose of this thread was to deal with a leaky main valve and adding the twist on as a secondary backup valve. Unless you leave the clear tube and the twist on you have kinda deleted the reason to add the twist on because to set this up you need to remove the cap from the main drain and hope there is no surprise

If no, then you’re adding a new subject about a way to flush your black tank with grey water. I would just put the elbow on the outlet and leave closed and then open the black and grey and walk away for 5 minutes and do other things. I would also get a 90 degree sewer pipe adapter that has the clear plastic so I can see when my tanks are drained.

Different strokes for different folks....

(of course I leave that 3'-4' arm sticking out as I travel down the road, I like to watch the hose bounce off the pavement, doesn't everybody do that?????)

The twist-on valve became a major topic early on in this thread and I was just trying to show how versatile and useful it could be, ...

Old 07-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #20

Quote:
(of course I leave that 3'-4' arm sticking out as I travel down the road, I like to watch the hose bounce off the pavement, doesn't everybody do that?????)

The twist-on valve became a major topic early on in this thread and I was just trying to show how versatile and useful it could be, ...
Sorry to hit a nerve...but I wasn’t asking or insinuating if you left the hose on. I meant the clear junction and the twist on valve. I even stated that in my post but obviously not clearly enough.

Sorry fella10.....

Tags
valve