Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #1

Valve Stem Extenders

I am curious as to whether or not people have added the Dually Valve tire stem extender (from Tire Shops Supply) and if so, how satisfied you are with them and if you have experienced any slow leaking problems. I am considering adding these all the way around on my next tire rotation and was curious as to actual performance or problems.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Team

I've had them on two motor homes, one was a Sunseeker 2400W, and will be installing them on our new Sunseeker 2500TSF when it arrives. I've been very satisfied with both the product and the company. The plastic valve extenders FR shipped our 2400W with leaked and were a total PITA to try and add air to the tires. The DuallyValve kit ended all the leaks and allowed me to install a TST 507 TPMS. I think they are one of the best products you can add to your RV...

EDIT: If you order a set I suggest you also order a bag of replacement rubber wheel inserts for the valves. That way if one does leak you will have what you'll need to have it repaired. I carry spares since not all tire shops may have the correct size inserts...
Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
I put these on all my tires front and back and love them. Before putting these on, I found it very difficult to add air to the duel ties in back, now it’s a breeze.

Also, my RV has been sitting all winter and when I went out to check the air pressure this spring, they all only needed a little air to bring them up to the pressure I normally run them at.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #4

I have them on my Solera. The original extenders leaked. I wanted to put tire pressure monitors on the extensions. The stainless steel ones from Tire Shop Supply are perfect.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #5

Do mean extenders or new metal valve stems?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Sunseeker 2400MBW

My husband had them installed on our Sunseeker 2400W, there are several threads here about all that around here. Otherwise you can hardly check or adjust pressure in the inner back tires. I ordered them from Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops very helpful.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #7

I just had my tire shop install those metal stems on my inside duals for my Isata 3. I already had metal on the outer aluminum wheels, but the inners had that cheap plastic extender. They work great and i just drove it 1,000 miles and held 62 lbs cold the entire trip. One reason I got them was I added a TPMS and needed the ridge metal stems to suppoet the sensor. Recommend Your Tire Shop Supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDE4F939-FE68-45AA-AE02-B35F17A5A102.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	168561   Click image for larger version

Name:	814F9971-68F2-4B66-8DE2-869E7E8EF2BC.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	168562  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I just had my tire shop install those metal stems on my inside duals for my Isata 3. I already had metal on the outer aluminum wheels, but the inners had that cheap plastic extender. They work great and i just drove it 1,000 miles and held 62 lbs cold the entire trip. One reason I got them was I added a TPMS and needed the ridge metal stems to suppoet the sensor. Recommend Your Tire Shop Supply.
Can't tell from the picture, but do you have the rubber grommet to support the valve stem?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Do mean extenders or new metal valve stems?
New stems. The extenders leaked.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Can't tell from the picture, but do you have the rubber grommet to support the valve stem?
The aluminum wheels on the Isata are Hispec brand, not Alcoa and there is not a stock stabilizer available that I have found. The way the inner stems fit, it passes through the outer aluminum wheel about 1/4” from the inside edge of the slot. I just added a bead of black silicone between the stem and the slot to cushion the stem and hold it steady. I drove it 1,000 miles last week and it held fine aling with the weight of the TPMS sensor screwed onto the stem. Same air pressure as when I started the trip. If I ever need to change a tire, I would have to reapply the silicone, but honestly don’t think its even needed. The stems are quite rigid.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #11

Thanks all - looks like a new purchase for new tire stems instead of extenders for me coming up. Probably go with the dually Valve Kit from Tire Supply.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
2012 Solera 24S

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Thanks all - looks like a new purchase for new tire stems instead of extenders for me coming up. Probably go with the dually Valve Kit from Tire Supply.
I think you are talking about the dually valve extensions from YourTireShopSupply.

When you order, get an extra set of grommets and store them in your RV.

I had a tire problem last summer where they damaged the grommet and nothing was available locally. Had to return home without the extender or TPMS on that tire.

Just ask them about it and they will include them. Their customer service is as good as it gets.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #13

I really hate the valve extenders. I had 2 fail on my trip west. You go to add air and they jam against the valve stem so the valve stays open and you just keep losing air. The only way to fix the problem is to remove the hub cap and take off the extender, then put air in the tire. When you add extenders you also have to replace the rubber stem with a metal stem or the valve extender will flop around.
The only way to go is to get the one piece long air valves. The only way to install them is to take each tire off the rim and replace the valves. Don't forget to replace the ones in front as well because the original one are about 1 inch to short. It's going to cost about 120-160 for the stems and another 180 to have them put on because each tire has to be taken off the rim and rebalance. Just consider it the cost of ownership. I made the mistake to starting with the extenders so I got to pay it twice. Hope others learn from my mistake.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve