Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #1

Vin number

Hi,

I am slated to pick up a new 2020 2401w Oct 25. Just curious is there anywhere I can type in the supplied vin from the factory and it tell me the year of the coach and model etc? Thanks on advance.

BH
papagyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #2

Just ask for a picture of the dash. If you see round vents and a long flat screen instead of a aftermarket unit surrounded by a closeout panel, then you have the new chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papagyo View Post
Hi,

I am slated to pick up a new 2020 2401w Oct 25. Just curious is there anywhere I can type in the supplied vin from the factory and it tell me the year of the coach and model etc? Thanks on advance.

BH
Velvet Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

It should be on the "certificate of origin" that the dealer has from the RV maker. It will normally be sent to your state with your initial title application (for a new unit being titled for the first time anywhere). That has the info on dates, etc... The dealer should be able to give you a copy if it's not already in your paperwork. It's pretty obvious to identify if you have it in your packet (usually looks fancy).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #4

Hi velvet,

My curiosity is not about the chassis year ( I was already told it would be on a 2018 chassis... after I placed the order). Reason I ask is it was ordered August 8th as a 2020 coach I don’t want to get all the way there and the vin say it is a 2019 coach when I get plates at DMV.

BH
Old 10-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
Retired Old Fart

So how can a upfitter (which is what a RV maker is when using a pre-built chasis from an automaker) magically "change" the year? The vin from the automaker is for X year, that will never change. Unless they are providing un-vin'ed chassis to the RV maker who is applying the VIN at time of the upfitting. Again, ask to see the "certificate of origin", that is the document that the state will use to issue the title from. Also if you get a copy of the COA, you can ask the state how they will register it if there are concerns about the year (assuming it's all not 2020).
Old 10-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Motorhomes will have a chassis Vin and a Forest River Vin. The tenth character of each VIN designates the year model of each.

We keep a file in our library which explains the split year vin's from the RVIA.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=198

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
So how can a upfitter (which is what a RV maker is when using a pre-built chasis from an automaker) magically "change" the year? The vin from the automaker is for X year, that will never change. Unless they are providing un-vin'ed chassis to the RV maker who is applying the VIN at time of the upfitting. Again, ask to see the "certificate of origin", that is the document that the state will use to issue the title from. Also if you get a copy of the COA, you can ask the state how they will register it if there are concerns about the year (assuming it's all not 2020).

Dward,

It is very common to have a different year chassis from the coach, the year of the coach is determined by the end builder not the vin of the chassis. My question is simply I know the year of the chassis used is 2018( 8th digit of vin is a J) what I am asking is how can I determine the year of the coach from the vin?

BH
Old 10-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Motorhomes will have a chassis Vin and a Forest River Vin. The tenth character of each VIN designates the year model of each.

We keep a file in our library which explains the split year vin's from the RVIA.

Wmtire,

Here is my vin,

8BNPF4CC5JE153620

“J” denotes 2018 sprinter chassis, what tells me year of coach?

BH
Old 10-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Wmtire,

Here is my vin,

8BNPF4CC5JE153620

“J” denotes 2018 sprinter chassis, what tells me year of coach?

BH
You will need the VIN that Forest River assigned to the completed motorhome to find out.

I added a link in my above post to the file you can download which explains all of this.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You will need the VIN that Forest River assigned to the completed motorhome to find out.

I added a link in my above post to the file you can download which explains all of this.

Wmtire,

Are you saying the vin they gave me is the chassis vin and not the completed coach Forest River vin? Thanks.

BH
Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #11

Your VIN decodes to an unfinished chassis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	216921  
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
Your VIN decodes to an unfinished chassis

Kcoulter,

Exactly what I needed to know thanks, I will ask for the other one after the 17th, when it is “offline” apparently.

BH
Old 10-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
Retired Old Fart

Ok, That RVIA document made sense. There are basically two certificate of origins that will be issued, one for the incomplete chassis and one for the completed motorhome (which is the one that should be used by the state for identification of the year).

Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi,

BH
Should be the tenth character in the vin identifying the chassis year. Get that then check on line.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #15

Additional VIN Info

Two posts:

Try DataMB.com

&. https://www.datamb.com/pdf/4bGQrAaz9ZndOkm5B
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote