Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
oreddie

Warning Message Overdose

We've just started a 3k mile trip from Oregon to Hyder, AK and return via Jasper and Banff, BC. Yesterday we dealt with buffeting cross winds gusting to 40 MPH in the Yakima, Washington area and, even with Hellwig sway bar, I struggled to stay under control and in my lane.

About an hour into this challenge I got an ESP warning and, shortly after, a warning that cruise control (which I wasn't using) had been disabled. The Sprinter User Manual reports that when ESP goes, so goes the cruise control)

Since we were close to our destination I ignored the warning until we got to an area where the wind was not so severe, pulled over, and on a hunch that it was the heavy wind-induced side-loads, shut off the engine for 30 seconds. Two minutes after restarting and heading down the road the messages stopped.

Not ten minutes after celebrating the resolution of that concern I started getting a Service A Due message. I have 6k miles on my rig so it's early unless the system is also looking at how long my rig has been in service. The annoying part is that the message repeats every 10-11 minutes accompanied by a loud beep. Short of finding and stopping at at an MD dealer that services Sprinters to ask if they can reset the warning I don't know what to do to silence this stupidity.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #2

Looked it up on the internet and the service 'A is 10,000 miles or one year.

There seem to be several different ways to reset it depending on your model.
Don't know if you can do it, but a google search may give you the solution based on your model.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #3

Well, the good thing about a sprinter is you can go to a mercedes, dodge or freightliner dealer, as they've all produced them. Even a lowly autozone or local mechanic should be able to read and reset the codes.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #4

Yes, the computer also counts time and not just miles. Since it's a 2017 and you joined in Sept 2017 I'm going to go out on a limb and say it went into service roughly a year ago. Have the service done, get the reminder reset, and be on your way. Remember, service is time OR miles, whichever comes first.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #5

Mine is a 2016 chassis, put into service March of 2017. I have just a little over 5,000 miles on it. I have not had any warnings or messages.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #6

From one resource regarding ASSYST/FSS...

Quote:
The system is set to trigger between 9,000-15,500 miles, between 12 and 24 months, or whichever comes first. Once the system is triggered and the mileage and/or time countdown has completed, it will display a message indicating that the driver should “CARRY OUT SERVICE,” letting the driver know that it is time to schedule an appointment to have the vehicle serviced immediately. If your Mercedes-Benz service indicator is telling you to “CARRY OUT SERVICE,” or the vehicle hasn’t been serviced within one to two years as recommended according to year and model, it is imperative to take your vehicle in for servicing as soon as possible.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #7

Good to know, thanks.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Well, the good thing about a sprinter is you can go to a mercedes, dodge or freightliner dealer, as they've all produced them. Even a lowly autozone or local mechanic should be able to read and reset the codes.
Wow! I didn't know that about Sprinter service. I had a very bad experience with the local Boise (Idaho) Mercedes dealership which causes me to question their ability and honesty. Thank you for this most timely and useful information.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Some folks simply purchase a scanner tool for a Sprinter .

This allows one to read the codes, and reset them if needed.

A bit over $100. for piece of mind .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREddie View Post
We've just started a 3k mile trip from Oregon to Hyder, AK and return via Jasper and Banff, BC. ... ... ...

Thoughts?
Not exactly related to your question, but sort-of: During my first trip (September 2016) in our new Sprinter 3500 the Check Engine lamp illuminated. I stopped an O'Reilly Auto Parts Store hoping they could read the code for me. The fellow was really busy, so he loaned me their code reader. Knowing the fault and being able to reset the code was a huge relief (in my instant, it was a harmless firmware related error – later corrected by Mercedes) so I bought a scan tool from him. The unit I bought was the "Bosch OBD 1200 CodeConnect." I think it cost about $250. I've been very pleased with this purchase as it has served me well several times during trips. In retrospect, perhaps I should have researched the available scanners a bit more (hard to do when your on the road), because someone on this knowledgeable forum can probably recommend a better unit. But still, I'm please with this unit and recommend every Mobile Palace Driver have one.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #11

I left Bend OR for Lake of the woods and received a Two tool with a - 39D message. On way back it climbed to 40. Research indicates service is needed but where is the schedule for maintenance? I researched all manuals. Guess Google should have it.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #12

We have a 2016 built on a 2015 chassis. In the Mercedes book for mine it's on page 261 in the maintenance section. The negative symbol indicates that you are past due by that many days and will change each day. This happened to us over the winter when We were not driving our unit. Look for the correct page number in the index of your manual under "service indicator display". It took me forever to find it the first time I looked.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #13

The first time scheduled service is to change the fuel filter. Not cheap but says to be done at one year. Mostly because of the gunk involved in desiel fuel. My first oil change says 20k miles but I do it at 10 because of the loads.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 AM   #14

"My first oil change says 20k miles but I do it at 10 because of the loads."

Diesels do very well when heavily loaded , no harm to the oil.

Long Ideling or very light loads , or just time in the engine would be cause for oil changes.

An oil sample service like Blackstone would be a great engine service monitor.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #15

Code Scanners

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Some folks simply purchase a scanner tool for a Sprinter .

This allows one to read the codes, and reset them if needed.

A bit over $100. for piece of mind .
You need a fancier ($$$) OBD3 gadget and secret decoder ring! <grin> The OBD2 scanners only read engine codes. The Transmission/Stability/ABS system computers are not read by the ODB2.

As to resetting service reminders, try YouTube using "mercedes sprinter van service reminder reset" to search as there are one or two variants. They have several videos to show how to reset it yourself (I did mine at one calendar year, ~4500 miles to shut it up).

Recommend for MBS fuel filter change...
BluStreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #16

Oil change based on time?

I understand oil is hydroscopic. Picks up moisture. So the time based oil change would be based on other factors that degrade the oil, other than load or debris.

Is my understanding correct? I bought a '16 w/ less than 7K miles earlier this year, and also was driven nuts by the warning, but had the service when I got home.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStreek View Post
... ...
Recommend for MBS fuel filter change...

Thank you BluStreek ... very useful information!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff13 View Post
I understand oil is hydroscopic. Picks up moisture. So the time based oil change would be based on other factors that degrade the oil, other than load or debris.

Is my understanding correct? I bought a '16 w/ less than 7K miles earlier this year, and also was driven nuts by the warning, but had the service when I got home.

Water and oil don’t mix; oil is hydrophobic. It’s not the oil that attracts water, the water and other contaminants are byproducts of combustion and operating conditions/environment. These contaminants displace oil molecules as they circulate through the engine and make it so the oil can’t do its job as well.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #19

We had some error messages driving in high winds. ESP and ABS and a few others. They went away after a day. Driving in high winds with cruise control will create errors. I have an OBD2 scanner tool that helps read and clear engine or warning lights.
flocktothewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #20

"I understand oil is hydroscopic. Picks up moisture."

Operating the vehicle warms the oil and most water and blowby condensate simply evaporates.

Oil changes required on Time , are set for less used engines.

About 20% of modern oil is not oil, it is a very complex additive package.

Anti rust, anti foaming , detergents and more.

This is why mixing brands of oil is never ideal.

Pick an easy to find brand , use it while you own the vehicle.