Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #1

Warning signal?

I have a signal, 42 d that appears periodically on my dashboard readout. I cannot find anything In the manual relating to a warning of this kind. Anyone know what this is? Also, my gas gauge is reading full and I know my gas tank is not full. I wonder if there is a correlation between the two?
Pat
Pat Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #2

I don't know the answer. However, I suspect those that might would need to know what vehicle you're driving.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #3

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you’re driving a sprinter considering the sub-forum this was posted in. That being the case I believe this means you are 42 days past your service interval. It will probably display 43d tomorrow. HTH
Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
I believe this means you are 42 days past your service interval. It will probably display 43d tomorrow. HTH
Or maybe it's 42 days until your service, so tomorrow (today?) it might read 41.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Or maybe it's 42 days until your service, so tomorrow (today?) it might read 41.

Yes, it is the same vehicle as the for mentioned. I will take a look in a few days as it is now in storage in Borrego Springs. Thanks for the tip
Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

Mine said 29 d. I called the Sprinter dealer service department. The service advisor said it means 29 days until scheduled maintenance is due and that the first scheduled maintenance was mostly an oil change. If the mileage isn't high enough to require the oil change he recommended waiting until spring when the RV will be used more.
cpottey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

I only have 7100 miles, so I will wait awhile before I’ll take it in.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #8

I wonder if waiting might give them an out if a warranty issue should arise.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
I wonder if waiting might give them an out if a warranty issue should arise.

Best policy here is to read the manual. Depending on the model year of your Sprinter, the oil change interval is between 10,000 to 20000 miles, or one to two years, whichever comes first (I think it is just one year for all, but I do not have my manual here.) The fuel filter needs to be changed every 20000 miles.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

Sure, but my dilemma is this: the chassis went "on line" by the first owner in January of 2017 with about 2300 miles on it (transport from the manufacturer I presume). I purchased it in September of 2017 with 4000 miles on it. In another two months or so it will be at the one year interval with around 5000 miles on it. I would like to wait until spring and get a few more miles on it before I do the $575 annual service. I wonder if I would violate the warranty by waiting.

I contacted the nearest service agency with the question and they said I should start counting from when I purchased it but that doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #11

I also purchased mine used with 5100 mi in June. I suspect it is now one year old plus the now 50d readout. The factory warranty didn’t transfer to me, but I bought an extension warranty. I will wait awhile for service. Now my only concern is my gas gauge is on the fritz??? It only reads full. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Patton View Post
I also purchased mine used with 5100 mi in June. I suspect it is now one year old plus the now 50d readout. The factory warranty didn’t transfer to me, but I bought an extension warranty. I will wait awhile for service. Now my only concern is my gas gauge is on the fritz??? It only reads full. Any ideas?
Is it a Sprinter? What year? Mine was manufactured in October of 2016 for a 2017 Isata 3. The manual clearly states that the three year warranty transfers to any owner and even has two postcards for registering subsequent owners.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #13

I can only speak for my 2014 on a 2013 chassis, but I doubt the way MB does this has changed:

TIME: If you have a "##D" (#=numbers) display on the dash, it is the number of days PAST the required 2 year oil change interval. Doesn't matter when you bought it. It is based on when the chassis was built and the computer fired up for the first time. Your oil is old. Change it. You can do it yourself for about $100 and it is very easy. You don't need to be an ace mechanic, just be sure to get the correct oil and filter.

MILEAGE: When you are approaching oil life end based on MILEAGE, not TIME, you will see a "countdown" in MILES displayed on the dash that appears when you start the vehicle, then disappears. It displays how many MILES until the oil change is due. I think it starts showing up about 500 miles before service is due.

I have changed mine based on both time and miles. However, I do not know what is displayed if you go over the MILES warning, since I have changed my oil before exceeding the miles warning.

I hope this helps.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #14

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
Is it a Sprinter? What year? Mine was manufactured in October of 2016 for a 2017 Isata 3. The manual clearly states that the three year warranty transfers to any owner and even has two postcards for registering subsequent owners.

It’s a sprinter, 2017. I will look at the manual for what you are talking about. Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Patton View Post
It’s a sprinter, 2017. I will look at the manual for what you are talking about. Thanks
You're welcome. It's in the Warranty booklet. If you can't find it, PM me. Someone messed up and included two in my paperwork. I'll send you one so you have the postcards.

You may be looking at the Dynamax 2 year warranty which for some reason is based on ownership not the equipment it supports.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #17

today it shows 52d on my 2016 forester 2401r sprinter. It has 6100 miles.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #18

Here is picture from today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Sprinter.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	157400  
Old 11-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #19

Onlast post picture. The minus sign means it's late 52 days?

About Service A and Service B

The Flexible Service System begins with Service A,** which is usually performed by Master Certified Technicians after the first 10,000 miles or 1 year of ownership—whichever occurs first. Afterward, the schedule changes to every 20,000 miles/2 years for 2009 or newer Sprinter Vans. Several routine repairs and maintenances are carried out during Service A, including:
  • AdBlue® Replacement (for diesel vehicles only, such as the Sprinter)
  • Fuel Filter Replacement
  • Oil Filter Replacement^
  • Mercedes-Benz Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement^
  • Fluid checks and replenishment's based on Mercedes-Benz-recommended intervals for your Sprinter Van’s model and year
  • Brake Component Inspection
  • Tire Inflation Check and Correction
  • Maintenance Minder Reset
To ensure no stone is left unturned, Service A alternates with Service B.** Normally, Service B is needed after the first 20,000 miles or 2 years of ownership, and then every 20,000 miles/2 years going forward. Like Service A, Service B includes fluid checks, tire checks, a brake inspection, and more, but requires cabin air dust/combination filter replacement and a brake fluid exchange.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #20

"brake fluid exchange."

Most folks do not realize that brake fluid must be changed .

The stuff is hydroscopic , which means it takes water out of the atmosphere .

On a long downgrade the fluid can get over 212F , so the water boils into steam.

Fluids are not compressible , but gasses are , which simply means you have NO BRAKES!

This is true for ALL vehicles with brake fluid .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote