Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

Warranty issues - help needed

I am getting kind of frustrated again - not with the motor home (I am very happy with it), with the dealer and warranty issues.
As expected with a new motorhome after my first trip I had a pretty long list of items to be repaired, most I could fix myself and others fixed by the dealer after long waiting period.
Wrote them a long email beforehand of what is wrong hoping they will get spare parts to avoid multiple trips -but they had to diagnose first and get approval from FR..
Well, they did and now I am waiting....and waiting....
The 4 items I am waiting for are (diagnosed by the dealer as bad):
1. Need a replacement for Backup camera
From the beginning camera picture never showed true colors, like the grey road is blue-ish almost violet.Then it started to go really dark – violet in color so I barely could see anything on the monitor. I am very familiar with the menu and how to adjust saturation, brightness and contrast that is not the issue. Did multiple software resets, does not help the color issue but the darkness – momentarily. I switched ports (switched side view with backup camera) and it is not a port or monitor issue, it’s the camera. Did a hard reset according to the manual, no help.
2. The fake - wood panel around the dash radio is chipped, was noted during PDI as bad - need replacement
3.The inside of left taillight (the red one ) is covered at least 1/3 with some kind of residue (silicone?) and somebody tried to scrape it off, easy to see. Needs to be replaced, noted during PdI.
4.Left backup light has water inside and only comes on "dim" when going into revers - needs replacement
All 4 items would be an easy fix for me in less time then going to the dealer if I could get the parts. Is there any way Joshua or Mike Clemens could chime in? I am tired of the wait and would like to do it myself!
If nothing else helps I am willing to pay for the parts - I saw the camera at Amazon for 99$, but where do I get those rear lights - who is making / selling them?
Hans
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Class C Representative

PM me in the following Format so I can forward it on to our warranty department.

Name:

Model:

Last 7 digits VIN:

Warranty issues listed in a bulleted format.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

wow - what a customer service, thanks!
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Old 10-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

I had the same problems as yours. Dealer had my motorhome for 2 weeks for about 10 warranty items to be worked on. There is nothing done after two weeks and all that person at front desk said was "he's so sorry". I've told him that I don't want "sorry" just want to get these thing fix. I've wrote FR for help to find new dealer and got a reply back that one gentleman "don't want to put his name here" will contact me in the near future and that was three weeks ago. To tell you the truth I kind of giving up on help either from dealer where I bought RV from and from FR. I'll call that person at FR tomorrow anyway.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Two thumbs up for JC
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #6

I know this won't help you current situation, and kudos to FR for stepping up. In the future, nothing, I mean nothing keeps a dealers' attention than holding payment until the issues are fixed. That way you, the purchaser, remain in the driver seat. I, like you, had issues, and will now employ my own "learned" advice when I go down that road next time.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Class C Representative

For Future reference: Give a claim 1-2 weeks to be settled before contacting a rep. It can hinder the warranty process when we get too many hands in one project.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #8

I would not complain about 1-2 weeks!
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

I just posted about this subject in a thread titled PARTS. I have found FR is usually not the one holding things up but the dealer. I recently had a warranty claim. From the time I reported the issue to my dealer who contacted FR till the time the part was delivered to me at my home was under 2 weeks. Great dealer service and same from FR.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

The tail light problem on my Solera, and probably your Forester is on a recall with no solution yet. I have run into a serious warranty issue with regards to repairs. Unless you take it to the place you bought it, in my case 800 miles from where I live, then no one wants to do warranty work alleging they service their own customers first. My tail light problem started in Alaska on a 3 month trip. They stuck on and wouldnt stop blinking so as soon as we came back down I stopped at Camping World (not where I bought the RV) and it took 5 weeks of being held hostage before I took my work order and came home to another local Camping World. it has been 6 weeks and waiting. I guess I am driving to MT. to get anything done. Never will I go to CW again for service repairs!
Rari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #11

Sounds like the curt controller problem. You can do what most of us have done. Order the controller and deutch connectors on Amazon. Assemble And replace on your own. Your Rv will be fixed in 1 hour. I carry a replacement curt controller now. For 40-50 bucks you will have your Rv back on the road. The recall delays are not acceptable if the vehicle is not safe to drive. I'm suprised more people aren't seeking compensation or a loner.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #12

No excuses for no fix by FR but as Rich.M states for 50 bucks to fix myself I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #13

RichM - did you add new connectors to your spare, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Sounds like the curt controller problem. You can do what most of us have done. Order the controller and deutch connectors on Amazon. Assemble And replace on your own. Your Rv will be fixed in 1 hour. I carry a replacement curt controller now. For 40-50 bucks you will have your Rv back on the road. The recall delays are not acceptable if the vehicle is not safe to drive. I'm suprised more people aren't seeking compensation or a loner.
.. and if so, did you purchase the expensive crimper, or if not, how did you crimp the round posts ?

Although I have not removed/replace my CURT yet, I assume the CURT has short pigtails, and suspect the new 'hopkins' controller will come with the same pigtails for a quick replacement. Is that your impression ?

Thanks !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #14

I crimped the posts with a needle nose plier over wire end cut and trimmed to length with a std wire cutter and stripper. Once round posts attached then the posts push in and clip in pigtails. Just match positions in pigtail to the unplugged dead controller . Did it in 15 min sitting at kitchen table with tools I had. I have not connected pig tails to my additional spare . It comes with 12 volt splicers in an emergency on a trip but would be quicker if I attach the deutch connectors ahead. I was hoping for the plug in solution by now .
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rari View Post
The tail light problem on my Solera, and probably your Forester is on a recall with no solution yet. I have run into a serious warranty issue with regards to repairs. Unless you take it to the place you bought it, in my case 800 miles from where I live, then no one wants to do warranty work alleging they service their own customers first. My tail light problem started in Alaska on a 3 month trip. They stuck on and wouldnt stop blinking so as soon as we came back down I stopped at Camping World (not where I bought the RV) and it took 5 weeks of being held hostage before I took my work order and came home to another local Camping World. it has been 6 weeks and waiting. I guess I am driving to MT. to get anything done. Never will I go to CW again for service repairs!
Can you elaborate a little more on the "recall" your post mentions. What year(s) Solera, Foresters are under recall, and where or how did you get notified.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #16

The FR recall is for a tail light module I believe. I keep replacing them but no one will take ownership of the problem. MB is looking for a fix but so far nothing. I talked to Russ Stull at FR and he said it is a FR problem but the recall is from MB so no one wants to fix it on warranty, but FR says just keep replacing the tail light module when the last one goes bad which is every couple months. FRUSTRATING! Recall is for '10-'14 Sprinter
Rari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #17

Here's my letter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	123557  
Old 10-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #18

My recall for the curt controller is 2015-2017
Old 10-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #19

So, the recall as far as I understand is for the MB Sprinter chassis in the '15-17 model years. Is that correct. I'm concerned now because I have an older Solera and have not been notified. Can FR respond because I'm sure they know the scope of this recall, being they are the builder on the MB chassis.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #20

Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain model year 2015-2017 Forester motorhomes manufactured June 10, 2014, to May 25, 2016, Sunseeker motorhomes manufactured April 4, 2014, to May 25, 2016, 2015-2016 Solera motorhomes manufactured February 28, 2014, to September 17, 2015, and 2016 Isata motorhomes manufactured October 30, 2015, to May 26, 2016. Water may leak into the electrical module that controls the vehicle taillights, brake lights, turn signal lights, clearance lights and marker lights, making the lights inoperative. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

I checked for pre 2015 models and I see no recall listed for any light controlers or tailights as per nhtsa.
Go to the nhtsa site and use your vin to get exact info as to if recall effects you as your unit production may fall within range.

Tags
warranty