Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

Warranty Woes

So have about 5000 miles on the motorhome, just took a trip to Montana over the 4th to see family. Discovered 4-5 minor warranty issues on the trip (propane door is stuck, stairs won't retract unless the engine is running, etc.) Call our local Forest River dealer, Funtime RV to schedule an appointment, and first thing he asked me was did I buy it there. I told him no, bought it in Spokane (saved about 10k) and he proceeds to tell me he can't get me in for a month, and said it would take FOUR months to fix. Proceeds to tell me they take care of THEIR customers first. I just about hung up on him. Nice to see such great customer service from Dealers for an item that cost almost $100,000. I have read other posts where this seems to be a theme at some dealers. The automobile industry dealers sure don't work like this. What kind of oversight does Forest River have on these dealers that they pull this garbage? Or do they just care that the dealer is selling their product?
browser5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser5031 View Post
So have about 5000 miles on the motorhome, just took a trip to Montana over the 4th to see family. Discovered 4-5 minor warranty issues on the trip (propane door is stuck, stairs won't retract unless the engine is running, etc.) Call our local Forest River dealer, Funtime RV to schedule an appointment, and first thing he asked me was did I buy it there. I told him no, bought it in Spokane (saved about 10k) and he proceeds to tell me he can't get me in for a month, and said it would take FOUR months to fix. Proceeds to tell me they take care of THEIR customers first. I just about hung up on him. Nice to see such great customer service from Dealers for an item that cost almost $100,000. I have read other posts where this seems to be a theme at some dealers. The automobile industry dealers sure don't work like this. What kind of oversight does Forest River have on these dealers that they pull this garbage? Or do they just care that the dealer is selling their product?
Even if you had purchased from them they'd probably still take six months to fix several minor things...and probably screw them up, too!

Your best bet is to find a mobile RV repair units and then get Forest River to authorize them to fix said warranty issues.

You'll have to pay their road fee most likely, but how much are those four to six months worth to you?

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

You should have look at the back of the brochure regardless of the cost I believe FR mentions that very thing. The RV industry is not the auto industry. If you want fast service take it to the dealer you bought it from or call FR and see if they will authorize a non-FR repair. Why should a dealer be concerned about supporting you when you didn't support them? Like you I was ignorant about how service works but solved my warranty issues by traveling the four hundred miles back to the selling dealer I didn't get upset I made a fun trip out of it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You should have look at the back of the brochure regardless of the cost I believe FR mentions that very thing. The RV industry is not the auto industry. If you want fast service take it to the dealer you bought it from or call FR and see if they will authorize a non-FR repair. Why should a dealer be concerned about supporting you when you didn't support them? Like you I was ignorant about how service works but solved my warranty issues by traveling the four hundred miles back to the selling dealer I didn't get upset I made a fun trip out of it.
Do Forest River dealers get reimbursed for labor charges like car dealers? If so then it is exactly like the auto industry. I don't have a problem waiting a month to get in, it was his snarky attitude that it was basically going to sit for four months.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #5

I wish I could answer that, what has been implied (by my local flagstaff dealer) is the payback is nowhere close to the actual (that could be collected) labor costs. I'm on your side with the attitude no call for that. I apologize if you felt I was ragging on you I was just saying how it is.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

You would think that the RV manufacturers would require their dealers to provide good service if they are going to sell the brand. Even if you do buy local there are people who relocate and take their RV to another part of the country or what happens when you are traveling? I bought about 12 RVs from my local dealer, every RV I ever purchased except for my first pop-up. When I bought my last Cedar Creek from Ohio (my local dealer does not sell CC but they do have Forest River brands) I first called my local dealer and they assured me I would get the same service their customers get.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Coach

Dealers also get a lot of non warranty work which usually takes priority over all warranty work just because they make the most money on it. Anything on the minor end of fixing you'll be much happier if you can do some research and fix yourself. You'll gain some knowledge of the beast, and won't lose her for 4-6 months.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I wish I could answer that, what has been implied (by my local flagstaff dealer) is the payback is nowhere close to the actual (that could be collected) labor costs. I'm on your side with the attitude no call for that. I apologize if you felt I was ragging on you I was just saying how it is.
No didn't think that at all, my question was an honest one. If they do only get a fraction of reimbursement for their labor then shame on Forest River. The only car I ever owned under warranty was way back in 1997, a Ford Ranger. I had to have the seat replaced 3x due to the foam disintegrating. Each time it was a one day deal and they bent over backwards, making me think they go reimbursed very well from Ford.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #9

All I can comment on is the steps. There is a switch by the Battery Control Center to retract them. If the switch is not engaged, the steps will open when the door opens and they will only retract when the engine is started. That's the way it is designed.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #10
Site Team

browser, a common mistake owners make is assume that the RV Industry works like the Auto Industry.
It couldn't be farther from the truth.
The only thing that they have in common, is that they both sell things on wheels, at dealerships.

Every RV forum on the Internet, has thousands of threads about what you experienced.
It's very common and very well known in the RV community and happens with all brands, not just FR.

That's why many of us use independent RV shops or mobile RV tech's instead. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #11
2012 Solera

General consensus- fix the simple stuff yourself. Agree with the step comment above - on ours, the switch mentioned is unmarked, in a set of three, next to the stairs (low). One of the other unmarked switches turns on floor lights; the third turns on the outside “porch” light (as I remember).
I think the propane door latch is an easy adjustment once you get the door open. Spray lube helps the slam locks on mine avoid sticking.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
2018 Sunseeker 2400W MBS

Easy Fix...

Propane door is an easy fix, as mentioned previously. If unable to open door, propane compartment is not sealed from below, so just stick your hand up from underneath and you can easily open latch from behind - then inspect locking mechanism for proper operation, lube it up good, and adjust if necessary.

Same thing with generator door latches - both mine were sticking when purchased new, but were an easy DIY fix as described here. No reason at all to deal with the headaches of warranty repair for minor things like this. Do some research (including getting advice from this forum), roll up your sleeves, and get to know your coach. Doesn't matter if your 8 or 80, these things are perfectly do-able yourself and will serve you well next time something starts acting up on the road miles away from civilization...
Iceman from McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #13

Thanks for all the responses it's been an education. Yes, I can fix most of this stuff myself, I just figured while it was under warranty why not get it fixed for free. I will definitely look into using a mobile tech if something big comes up. Thanks for the info on the steps, I must have inadvertently hit the switch.

The one thing I did think about with this whole discussion is you retired folks that travel the country and are at the mercy of a dealer like this one. I guess again get approval from FR for an independent.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #14

Yep, after buying a new rig we never see a dealer again. There are independent service only shops everywhere. Some are mobile, some are not, some are both.

We have never had a problem with pre-authorization for factory warranty or extended warranty. Usually things are fixed correctly the same day, or if parts are ordered, a few days.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #15

X2
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #16

Glad we bought local! Our dealer has been fantastic when it came to warranty work...... Got us in and out fast, even on a Holiday week-end!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Snip >

The automobile industry dealers sure don't work like this.

<Snip

Don't bet on that.

We just bought a used 2016 Chrysler Town & Country with less than 18,000 miles from a used car dealer on June 12th. Had a Check Engine light after one week and the service center at the used car dealer checked it out and fixed a vapor hose going back to the gas tank, cleaned the fuel cap gasket and reset the computer. Says if it happens again to have Chrysler look into it since it's still under Chrysler's warranty. Next day the check engine light comes on again.

Called the Chrysler dealer to make an appointment. As soon as I told them what the used car service manager said the Chrysler service guy says they cannot take it for warranty work until August 3rd. It runs fine but it's annoying to have the check engine light on.

Since it is Flex Fuel compatible I told DW to run a tank full of E-85 since I know that works with my Flex-Fuel compatible Silverado. In fact, I had a GM service manager tell me to do so at least every 6 months.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

Since it is Flex Fuel compatible I told DW to run a tank full of E-85 since I know that works with my Flex-Fuel compatible Silverado. In fact, I had a GM service manager tell me to do so at least every 6 months.
Not sure how running lower grade fuel through an engine can help?

But...OK!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Quote:

We had a problem with our slide and took it to Waterdog RV in Dayton, Oregon. It was in and out in less than two days and they did a great job of fixing the slide.

Tags
warranty