Old 02-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Water Filter 24R

I know there have been posts about eliminating the in line water filter under the bed but can’t seem to locate them. Has anyone removed filter and reconnected? This seems to be a better fix than having to go to Water Pur and pay their mandatory $11.50 for shipping a housing.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #2

Took ours out, all you need is a couple of 1/2 sharkbite couplings and a piece of tubing. We never drink water from the RV, all we do is shower with it. Makes winterizing way less messy.

lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #3

I have a 2016 2400R with the water filter under the bed. Found it easy to change and bought replacement cartridges from Amazon. 3 of them for about $25.00 no shipping of course. The filter cartridges are very generic.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

I have decided to remove and will filter at hose bib connection. Easier and no winter issue.

2016 Solera 24R
Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

Caution regarding “drinking the water” from the RV water tank is understandable, but we regard our MBS 2400W as our home, and we need to feel that the water system is clean enough for drinking. Using that filter, along with a filter on the city water hose, gives us fair amount of confidence. We also keep a Brita filtered water pitcher in the fridge... fits perfectly in the lower shelf on the door. We also do a yearly bleach treatment on the water system.

We are fortunate here in the US to have a first world water supply, so getting sick from the water is highly unlikely. The taste, on the other hand, is variable.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 02-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Site Team

I don’t know if you have room to do this with your Motorhome, but if you do, you can take this approach I did with my TT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9390.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	162576

3 Pex valves, a couple of Pex T’s, some tubing and a handful of crimps, and I had a winterization bypass built around the onboard filter. We use the filter, so I did this to make winterization easier, but in your case you could use it to always bypass the filter. And then if you ever sell your motorhome it becomes an ‘added feature’ that it’s got a winterization bypass instead of a ‘removed feature’ of the elimination of the onboard filter.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Here are a couple tips if you decide to keep the filter:
1. When removing the housing, either to change the filter or when winterizing, slip a small trash bag around it when you unscrew it. That will catch the inevitable spills.
2. When winterizing, if you use the antifreeze method, fill a 20 oz. Powerade bottle with RV antifreeze as full as possible. Place it UPSIDE DOWN in the filter housing and replace the housing (if placed upright, it can interfere with flow).
The system fills quicker and you use less antifreeze over time, since you can reuse the filled bottle. The biggest advantage is there is less free flowing antifreeze in the housing when de-winterizing, so there's not as much to catch in the trash bag when removing it.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #8

I use my onboard fresh water when I am not hooked to city water. I do sanitize my system anytime it has been sitting for more than 3 months. Sanitize properly and there is nothing wrong with the water. I guess that is why we have chocolate and vanilla ice cream, everybody is different.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

Iwalkplumb did you bend the two open ends together and connect?

2016 Solera 24R
Old 02-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #10

I cut a small piece of tubing and then used 2 sharkbite couplings to put it together. It will flex enough. Just cut the tubing on each side of the filter and take out. The filter is only good for sediment unless you buy the high dollar filters for taste and odor. The screen on the hose will stop any major sediment. Go to Lowes for a piece of 1/2 tubing, should be less than a buck.
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Caution regarding “drinking the water” from the RV water tank is understandable, but we regard our MBS 2400W as our home, and we need to feel that the water system is clean enough for drinking. Using that filter, along with a filter on the city water hose, gives us fair amount of confidence. We also keep a Brita filtered water pitcher in the fridge... fits perfectly in the lower shelf on the door. We also do a yearly bleach treatment on the water system.

We are fortunate here in the US to have a first world water supply, so getting sick from the water is highly unlikely. The taste, on the other hand, is variable.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W

Same. Agreed.

Tags
water, water filter