Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

Water in outside storage Forester 2401R

We bought our RV last April and after one of our first trip noticed water in the outside behind the passenger seat.
Dealer said drain line for freezer want connected to drain properly and they fixed.
This year the problem has returned and it's definitely not the freezer, way too much water. Water is also in the pass-thru storage - just on the passenger side. Going back to dealership this weekend for repairs.
Has anyone has the same problem or know What's causing this? It's kept in garage.
Sherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

I can't be sure...but the outside storage compartments tend to be poorly sealed from intrusion of rain water / splash water. If your unit is like mine all of the compartments have drain plugs at the bottom ... they're there for a reason!

That said, there are a few things you can do. First and foremost, keep anything that's even vaguely sensitive inside plastic storage bins so water in the compartment won't affect it.

Second, I had some success adding silicone sealer around the inside of all of the compartments, sealing up the gaps between the fiberglass tubs and the surrounding bits of the motorhome. This really cut down water intrustion dramatically, but I'd say that it didn't solve it completely. I think a little water still gets in - maybe around the doors, which don't have the best seals in the world, or in spots where I didn't get the gaps sealed up completely.

Anyway, it's a common problem which can be largely avoided.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #3

Thanks Dave - I wondered if the water might be coming from the door seals. Yes, there's a drain plug in each compartment. We've never had this problem in our other RV and it seems odd to me that this is a common problem. Thank goodness we do keep out things in storage bins, well except for the firewood, which I really wet.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

I have a 2400R and after one of the early trips, during continuing rain, I found water in the rear storage compartment. Turned out that it was a seal problem that was fixed under warranty. Most likely, this is the problem you are having with your unit.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
I have a 2400R and after one of the early trips, during continuing rain, I found water in the rear storage compartment. Turned out that it was a seal problem that was fixed under warranty. Most likely, this is the problem you are having with your unit.
Thanks High Desert! That's probably the issue, it was raining pretty good on the trip.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #6

I wrote a long reply,,, then I lost it Da## Me !!! LOL !!!
I have the same problem,,, have been trying for a couple of years trying to find where the moisture is coming from,,, the compartment is under the water heater,,,this spring,,, if it ever gets here,,, I am going to try some weather striping on the door,,, even tho I think it is selling very well !!! We keep a small bucket of Damp-Rid in that compartment,,, it always has water in it ??? When we are camping I always leave that compart door open ??? We had a RV port built last Fall,,, so it has been indoors all winter,,, it will be interesting to see how much moisture is in the Damp-Rid this Spring !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I wrote a long reply,,, then I lost it Da## Me !!! LOL !!!
I have the same problem,,, have been trying for a couple of years trying to find where the moisture is coming from,,, the compartment is under the water heater,,,this spring,,, if it ever gets here,,, I am going to try some weather striping on the door,,, even tho I think it is selling very well !!! We keep a small bucket of Damp-Rid in that compartment,,, it always has water in it ??? When we are camping I always leave that compart door open ??? We had a RV port built last Fall,,, so it has been indoors all winter,,, it will be interesting to see how much moisture is in the Damp-Rid this Spring !!!
The TPR valve will leak some while the heater is on. It is very common is RV heaters. Mine does but it leaks to the outside. Not into the trailer.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The TPR valve will leak some while the heater is on. It is very common is RV heaters. Mine does but it leaks to the outside. Not into the trailer.
I do not see anyway a leaking water heater could leak in the compartment !!!
Compartment is complete sealed,,, and there never is any water on the driveway ??? I thought maybe it was heat from the water heater,,, but I have found moisture in there when the water heater is not in use ???
Old 03-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #9

basement leaks

I had this problem with my 2016r and I just adjusted the doors on the compartments and has been fine since
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #10

We'll see what the dealer does. It's probably something to do with the door.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
I had this problem with my 2016r and I just adjusted the doors on the compartments and has been fine since
You adjusted the door latch ???
Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #12

no the whole door
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
no the whole door
Did not know that was possible ???
Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #14
clr

I had this problem also. The water was coming in between the door and its casing. The problem was the latch for the door at the bottom of the door was not seating well with the casing and water was leaking down into the storage compartment from the latch. My fix was to seal all around the bottom latch and its screws with liquid electrical tape. I know this sound strange but it was what I had on hand at the time and it has worked very well now for a couple of years. The water that does leak between the door and its frame now exits on the slide for the latch on the outside as it is suppose to.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #15

Wow learn something here every day !!!
Never heard of Liquid Ele Tape !!!
Sounds like liquid rubber !!!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #16

Heard from the dealership and apparently there was a gap between the wheel well and storage compartment. They fixed it and we pick it up Saturday, can hardly wait to hit the road 😊

Tags
forester, storage, water