Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Water overfill killed my slide

New owner of a mbs sun seeker 2400R. Went to fill the water tank in anticipation of a trip. Got distracted by a phone call (might have been a wine thing too) and the tank filled up and water was running down the side of the RV. Somehow, water made it's way into the storage compartment all the way past the black panel that covers the water pump and into one of the electronic modules that operate the Schwintek slides. The Electronic module for the side slide was mounted upside down behind the pump bypass plumbing, water got inside the module housing and basically fried the circuit board when I tried to retract the slide. I was able to buy another module on eBay for 149.00 and replace it. I removed the black panel, unmounted both of the slide control modules and wire tied them upright to the wiring harness at the top of the compartment in an upright position. Now if water gets in, at least it won't collect inside the module and fry the board. And I can actually access the the little reset button that you have to press 6 times and hold for an emergency override. The boards looked like they were installed before the plumbing and one was nearly impossible to access if you needed to reset the board. Glad all of this happened in my driveway and not in some RV park somewhere. Thought I would share my experience.
JoeSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Stuff happens at times like with any operation with these rigs best to complete one project before uncorking another
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Last year my father was filling his Sunseeker. He walked away for a few minutes to do some other tasks. When he came back water was coming out his door. Turns out his tank filled, blew off the fill hose and flooded into his camper and into the rear storage. His convertor was right there and filled with water. Luckily he could use his geni to keep himself running while we waited for the new convertor to come. What a mess. Glad you could get yourself fixed up.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #4

Wow, good to know, thanks!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #5

Many boats and bus conversions have FW tanks that are far larger than a MH could carry.

Filling them takes a while so is seldom done under constant supervision.

The FW tank fill fitting cap and hose are std marine 1 1/2 or 2 inch.

A dock hose is simply pushed in and the rest of the large hose volume allows air to escape as the tank fills.The FW tank is NEVER under pressure.

When the tank is full water just pours out the fill fitting.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I took notice at the last RV show we visited how many units had modules or wiring boxes mounted in places where I thought... WOW... I would sure move that to a better/less chance of getting screwed up location. Seem to recall the the water heater control laying right next to the water pump was the biggest culprit.

What a shame for stuff to be installed this way!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #7

I had this problem when my unit was new. Turns out that there was a screw through the fresh water fill hose - so it was leaking regardless of how full the tank was. I'd check for that sort of leak before assuming that the overflow water somehow made it back into the compartment with the slide controller.

(They put these things together from the inside to the outside. I don't think it's unusual for a screw to be put in the wrong spot, hitting a previously installed water or electrical line...)

Dave
Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I had this problem when my unit was new. Turns out that there was a screw through the fresh water fill hose - so it was leaking regardless of how full the tank was. I'd check for that sort of leak before assuming that the overflow water somehow made it back into the compartment with the slide controller.

(They put these things together from the inside to the outside. I don't think it's unusual for a screw to be put in the wrong spot, hitting a previously installed water or electrical line...)

Dave
Dave, thanks for that. I'll check it really close next time I fill the tank. That didn't occur to me but now that you mention it, it does seem very plausible.
JoeSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #9

Dave and Joe. I had exactly the same thing happen. Not only was there a screw in the tube, it was kinked, so the water flowed uphill before descending to the tank. It seems they attach the fill spout to the tube and then PUSH it into place and screw the fixture to the rv wall. This explains why in my case it kinked upward. Have the dealer take off the fw fill spout and check it. Mine was covered under warranty.

They had to courier a new slide control to me in Chicago as I was staying there for a week. I replaced the circuit box myself, as you did, and then took the unit to the dealer to figure out where the water was coming from. The drip was following the fill tube down to the tank and dripping into the upside down lippert slide control box! Stupid to mount it upside down so water would collect in it!
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

What's next?

Next, FR will be mounting the battery converters directly under the sink traps.

Oh, wait - they already do. At least on mine there is a drawer below the trap to collect the water

Never mind.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, slide, water