Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Water pump.

We've been on the road for a while, and the water pump in our 4 year old rig stopped the other day. I tested the power and fuse and all good. I took the pump out and disassembled it and viola, it started. But it only ran for a couple of days. Then failed again. I tried tapping it with a hammer (a la starter motor) with no success.

Anybody rebuilt the motor? Could it be the brushes?

I'll likely just buy another this week, but I'd like to know how to fix it if we're boondocking.

Thanks.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

If the motor is acting up I would just go with a new pump. I went with a SeaFlo brand when I replaced mine. Love it it is super quiet.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

After 4 years, especially if used regularly, it could well be that the brushes are worn to the point they don't make contact anymore. Replacing them on motors like those is not an easy task as they don't have external "brush caps" that allow replacement without full motor disassembly.

Also, when replacing brushes it's necessary to properly service the commutator which means "turning on a lathe", not just rubbing them with sandpaper. If not the replacement brushes (if you can find them) will wear prematurely and you'll be back repairing the motor again.

I'd just go with a replacement pump. Several choices available on amazon that will give good service for reasonable prices. Just make sure to match the volume (gpm) and pressure's so you don't end up with a shower that just dribbles

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump