Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

What have you done to customize your MBS 2400 series motor home

I think I am finished customizing our Sunseeker MBS2400WS for now.

accomplishments.

Added Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller.
Added back-up camera to Transport trailer - hardwired into Jenson in dash system.
Added Extenda-stay propane valve and hoses.
Added Water Pump switch in bathroom.
Added elastic strips to movable half of mattress - pulls mattress half out on slide out extension. One push and bed is maid.
Added small safe to cubby under bed.
Build new knife holder that replaces existing one.
Added Sumosprings SSR-338-47 to rear suspension
Added Sumosprings SSF-106-40 to front suspension
Installed missing valve stem extensions
Added Carefree EZ ZipBlocker 15x8 sun shade to awning
Added A-Z covers 3 piece window insulation set
Added additional shelving in pantry
Removed Bedroom Curtain
Customized privacy curtain separating cab from camper.

No wonder I have been so tired lately!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers compartment curtain.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	114028  
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
2012 Solera

ShermanD - If you are looking for ideas, check out this (old) Solera thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-44705.html
My mod list is posted there.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #3

ShermanD
What brand and where did you get your valve ext. I've been trying to find the right ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

- progressive hard wired surge protector and monitor in the "nightstand" just inside of exterior. Also I changed out the plastic water inlet while in the nightstand to brass as you can snap it off with two fingers it's so cheap.

- a sewer hose black pipe running adjacent to existing sewer pipe with cap. A nicer sewer hose does not fit in factory one on the side. That is now my rubber glove dispenser.

- replaced sewer vent cap on roof with a camco cyclone and after 1,599 miles I know with out a doubt it works, no more occasional stinky up drafts. Huge improvement

- pull out pantry so we can utilize the deep space - best mod yet

- raised rear tv on the wall to cover the power outlet and plug - more out of the way - reconfigured my remote in the rear slide now in 1000 pieces

-12v fan mounted in upper bunk

- vent covers out of foam covered in material

- tire pressure monitoring system and 2 inch valve stem extensions

- reflective foil cut for all windows to use as needed

- wired additional usb and power outlets in the front

- wood grain steering wheel

- tinted the front windows - a must huge difference in heat while driving

- 1 1/2 hole on side of cabinet over door by tv bracket to allow for plugs additional cables to be passed through

- Xbox mounted in slot in cabinet above side door (fits) perfect

- changed shower drain screw to stainless as it was already rusting. Sealed the seam between pan and wall liner with silicone.

-changed sink faucet to stainless and shower head to oxygenics

- changed exterior screws that were already rusting to stainless

- made covers for cubby holes in upper bunk as my kids complained their heads and pillows ended up in them every night

- adjusted main side door hinge latch so it doesn't have to be slammed to shut and pull your arm out of socket to open

- USB ports added to side of trays in upper bunk by the cup holders

- screen covers on battery compartment opening and water heater openings

- made the acrylic handle on the outside light up as it should - wired so they are on whenever aisle lights are on.

- vinyl cover for exterior doors and front window

- Mercedes emblem mounted upper center of rear under the camera

- towel rack over the toilet

- removed all screws from the access panels and replaced with hidden magnets / easy off and on

I have a long list of others I would like to do but will have to wait until winter more than likely.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

What have you done to customize your MBS?

In addition to some off-the shelf improvements to our Solera 24R-- another towel rack on inside head door, interior screen door bracket, cutouts in board at rear of stove to hold medium knives, etc. we have done a few woodworking projects from scratch:
1. made a small towel rack from mahogany inside head sink cabinet
2. made a small mahogany two-shelf spice rack to fit inside dish cabinet over main sink
3. ordered another table bracket from FR and used it to make a walnut pub table with 1/4" fiddles (little edges surrounding the table), about half the size of the stock dining table, that uses the same table pedestal and socket in the deck.
4. stole an idea from a trawler captain and made a settee barge, as he calls it -- a cherry-and-walnut-tray-with 1/4 inches fiddles, about 7" wide and 13 " long, with a 9" keel on the bottom, that is held in place when you push the keel between the two settee cushions. The fiddles keep anything smallish from sliding off -- keys, sunglasses, pens, smart phones, books, coffee cups -- and will hold a surprising amount of stuff in one place.

Right now we are trying to figure out how to engineer a cabinet in the space where the loft bed is but in the short term we are going with Starlight plastic boxes with lids, and a cargo net from a Subaru to hold it in place. If you need a picture of any of these things, let me know.
Blue Ridge
2015 Solera 24R
'07 Prius dollied on Acme Tow Dolly
Meadows of Dan VA
Blue Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #6

I put custom Ultra Leather front seats in with power heat, lumbar and massage. (So much better for my poor back!!)
I added rear bumpers sensors.
Solar panel on the roof.
Dish Trav'ler on roof.
Rear night vision camera.
Sway control/ stabilizer
In shop now adding Sumo Springs.
Screen door guard and cross bar.
Wall magazine rack above dinette-left side.
Adding shelf above toilet is my next project and replacing the wallpaper backsplash with mosaic tiles.
Memory foam topper.
Vent covers.
Reflective metallic windshield & side window covers, foam inserts for vents.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersb View Post
ShermanD
What brand and where did you get your valve ext. I've been trying to find the right ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #8

I finally got around to installing the 15'x8' Carefree Ez Zipblocker Sunshade. super easy to install with an extra set of hands. takes longer if the wife is at work.
The sunshade comes in two pieces that are held together with a zipper. The top section fits in the spare groove in your awning roller and is rolled up along with the awning itself. Once you extend the awning you can zip the bottom half on and stake it to the ground, The bottom has three steel grommet holes and the suncreen comes with a storage bag along with three stakes and three pieces of braided nylon rope.

Although it is designed for the Carefree roller system, It will fit the Dometic roller system. The only downside to using it on the Sunseeker is that the sunshade itself is four inches longer than the Dometic awning so two inches of the top portion is exposed to the elements when rolled up. I plan on covering the two end sections with some Gorilla High strength clear repair tape.

It seems to be well build and made of strong material. I your interested in a sunshade for your Sunseeker or Forester, I would recommend you check the Carefree line out.

EZ ZipBlocker - Carefree of Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunscreen top.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	114206   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunscreen installed.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	114207  
Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #9

2015 Forester MBS 2401R mods

To the Chassis -

Added Helwig sway bar
Replaced rear OEM shocks with Koni FSD's
Replaced factory bump stops with Timbren SES in front, Sumo's in rear
Replaced air filter with permanent AES washable
Added TST 507 TPMS for chassis and Toad (2015 Honda Fit)

To the Coach -

Replaced flooded batteries with Crown Group 31 AGM's
Added Victron battery monitor to coach and chassis battery
Added boost/jump start wiring to Battery Control Center
Replaced rear fan with remote control Fantastic Fan
Replaced bath fan with Fantastic Fan
Added exterior covers to all vent fans
Replaced Dometic 13.5K BTU A/C with Atwood 15K heat pump
Added Progressive Industries hard wired 30 amp EMS
Added pendant/Charge Wizard to Progressive Dynamics converter
Replaced WFCO transfer switch with Progressive Dynamics switch
Added additional USB/aux input to Jensen DVD/Nav/Stereo
Replaced Furrion power inlet with Furrion Stainless marine inlet
Replaced plastic city water and tank flush inlets with Red Dog marine stainless inlets

To Toad -

Blue Ox base plate, tow bar and Patriot braking system
Added JDM LED brake/tail/turn lights activated by RV
Added always hot 12 Volt power port

On the list -

Replace Jensen DVD/Nav with Kenwood DNX 893S DVD/Garmin Nav
Replace steel wheels with Alcoa DuraBrite EVO wheels (save 75 pounds)
Replace plastic rear sink/faucet with marine SS sink/faucet
Add side view cameras in current model location on side of coach (mine are located on front fenders and do not work well)

Plus a list of other small mods to make RV more livable/useful for us. Fingers crossed that most of the bugs/defects have been resolved and reliability on the road will be acceptable.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
I finally got around to installing the 15'x8' Carefree Ez Zipblocker Sunshade. super easy to install with an extra set of hands. takes longer if the wife is at work.
The sunshade comes in two pieces that are held together with a zipper. The top section fits in the spare groove in your awning roller and is rolled up along with the awning itself. Once you extend the awning you can zip the bottom half on and stake it to the ground, The bottom has three steel grommet holes and the suncreen comes with a storage bag along with three stakes and three pieces of braided nylon rope.

Although it is designed for the Carefree roller system, It will fit the Dometic roller system. The only downside to using it on the Sunseeker is that the sunshade itself is four inches longer than the Dometic awning so two inches of the top portion is exposed to the elements when rolled up. I plan on covering the two end sections with some Gorilla High strength clear repair tape.

It seems to be well build and made of strong material. I your interested in a sunshade for your Sunseeker or Forester, I would recommend you check the Carefree line out.

EZ ZipBlocker - Carefree of Colorado
I added one of those too. Besides the shade and bug benefits, I find it great for a little more privacy when crammed into tight campgrounds like sardines. The dogs like it too; their own "territory."
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

Those Alcoa Dura Brite's are sweet. If anyone has these on their rig I would love to see how they look on an FR. MBS
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife7478 View Post
Those Alcoa Dura Brite's are sweet. If anyone has these on their rig I would love to see how they look on an FR. MBS
Although they are heavier, I am quite happy with my steel wheels and chrome wheel covers that came with the 2017 MBS Sunseeker since they look just fine and in my opinion chrome is a whole lot easier to keep looking good than Aluminum. Some talk of going going to aluminum rims to save weight. I will stick with the steel rims and save $3600.

You could be the guinea pig, pay the $3600 to put them on your rig, and then give the rest of us a review with pictures so we could decide whether we wanted them,

BTW this tip is for anyone who has Aluminum rims and is looking for probably the "best" cleaner available.

Lane's Professional Car Product (Car Care Products | Auto Care | Lane's Car Products) - New Aluminum - stock number E-610
Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Although they are heavier, I am quite happy with my steel wheels and chrome wheel coverst. I will stick with the steel rims and save $3600.
I'm with you. That is a boatload of $.

Now that I know so much more about the Sprinter and FR chassis, last year I saw an absolutely beautiful 2013 Winniebago View in Black custom paint with a Diesel Gen and aluminum wheels for about $72k. Now I know the Gen and wheels alone were over $8,000. (I should have bought it !)
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

To each his own

Quote:
Although they are heavier, I am quite happy with my steel wheels and chrome wheel covers that came with the 2017 MBS Sunseeker since they look just fine and chrome is a whole lot easier to keep looking good than Aluminum. Some talk of going goint to aluminum rims to save weight. I will stick with the steel rims and save $3600.

You could be the guinea pig, pay the $3600 to put them on your rig, and then give the rest of us a revies with pictures so we could decide whether we wanted them,

BTW this tip is for anyone who has Aluminum rims and is looking for probably the "best" cleaner available.

Lane's Professional Car Product (Car Care Products | Auto Care | Lane's Car Products) - New Aluminum - stock number E-610
We come to this forum to share ideas, get help when needed and offer opinions and advice.

Too often, however, if someone is unhappy with FR, they get told off. Someone disappointed with their dealer, they get told "that's the way it is, fix it yourself". Others have no interest in getting together at Goshen for a beer and love-fest. They get asked "why even own an RV"?

Frankly, if I want to spend $3600 on aluminum wheels because I like the way they look, they way they perform, their weight vs. steel - I don't need to be ridiculed. If you bought full body paint for your RV, you probably did so for appearance and maybe for resale. It won't perform any better, but you might want it anyway. A diesel generator is expensive, has less capacity than the standard LP generator, weighs more, but some of us bought it anyway - for other reasons maybe not apparent to all.

I'm glad you are happy with your steel wheels and hubcaps. I'm not unhappy with mine, but I like the Alcoa wheels better. I'm certainly not going to fault you for your choice, please be a little more considerate of others choices.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #15

I ordered aluminum wheels in May. They are still not here. I think Discount Tires is just waiting for the other hardware to arrive. I paid way less than $3600. I only bought 4.
I don't like the chrome hub caps and you can't check air pressure with them on...at least I can't. Other than the wheels, I have done the rear Sumo's and wired a remote battery switch to jump the coach batteries to the chassis in case of a dead battery. I also re-installed the microwave more permanently after it wanted to fall out.

I made my own money and spend it the way I want to. I told my kids they will be just like me and won't get much money when I die

I'll probably post pictures when they get installed...
Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #16

We are probably related

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
I ordered aluminum wheels in May. They are still not here. I think Discount Tires is just waiting for the other hardware to arrive. I paid way less than $3600. I only bought 4.
I don't like the chrome hub caps and you can't check air pressure with them on...at least I can't. Other than the wheels, I have done the rear Sumo's and wired a remote battery switch to jump the coach batteries to the chassis in case of a dead battery. I also re-installed the microwave more permanently after it wanted to fall out.

I made my own money and spend it the way I want to. I told my kids they will be just like me and won't get much money when I die

I'll probably post pictures when they get installed...
I would love to see the pictures when you get them installed.

I hate checking the tire pressures too. I had to cable tie the TPMS sensors and valve stem extensions to the hub caps to keep them from banging around. Planning full metal valve stems with the Alcoa wheels which should eliminate or reduce this problem.

We told our two kids we would leave them $0.25 total. They will have to figure out how to split it
Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #17

Steel wheels have other issues. Those chrome inserts tend to jump ship once in awhile and they're not cheap to replace. I know there is one sitting on Hwy 10 somewhere in Louisiana...
mikestahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #18

MBS Sprinter Front Receiver

I just started planning a trip west for next April and am finding that only a few state parks have pull-thru's. The layout of their back in sites won't make it very easy to unload the Shadow's from their garage if I do back the Sunseeker in, nor are they laid out in a way that makes them usable when pulling in forward If we planned on doing more than just over nighting.

I got to thinking that the only other option would be if I were to drop the trailer , turn the motor home around, hook it up to the front, and back the motor home into the site.

The solution to my dilemma would require a front mounted receiver.. Another added benefit to having the front mounted hitch would be that we could install our bicycle rack if we chose to and still be able to tow the trailer.

Once I had a plan, I started searching the net for a front mounted receiver for the Sprinter, the only one I could find is this one.

Sprinter Front Receiver Hitch | Aluminess

I am not sure what it weighs so I will be contacting Aluminess.com to find out but it can't be too heavy considering the light bar that is shown installed with it only weighs 25 LB. The site has the installation instructions posted. It appears that a DIYer with a drill motor, drill bits and a few hand tools can easily install it in a few hours.

Since travel plans and site reservations have been made for the rest of this camping season, I am adding this item to my Christmas wish list,

Check it out along with their other MBS accessories while your at it.

Sherman
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #19

Looking for "C" channel speaker wires

It's been a busy summer. so busy that I finally got around to checking out the dvd players to see that they work properly. Fortunately just a couple minor problems that I resolved myself.

What I found:
Jensen in dash system allows you to play a DVD while driving.
Furion TV/DVD remote batteries were already dead
Jensen JWM6A - Jensen 32" TV didn't work together - HDMI cable never connected to DVD player
JWM6A does not have a subwoofer capability
"C" channel is just another L/R speaker channel

"C" speaker channel has one set of wires hooked to player. they run overhead in ceiling somewhere but are not hooked up to anything.

I pulled the cabin switch panel off to see if they made it into there but didn't see them.
The wire pair for the "C' channel is a lamp cord. Green and white connected together. If you manage to find where it ends. I would appreciate knowing.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
It's been a busy summer. so busy that I finally got around to checking out the dvd players to see that they work properly. Fortunately just a couple minor problems that I resolved myself.

What I found:
Jensen in dash system allows you to play a DVD while driving.
Furion TV/DVD remote batteries were already dead
Jensen JWM6A - Jensen 32" TV didn't work together - HDMI cable never connected to DVD player
JWM6A does not have a subwoofer capability
"C" channel is just another L/R speaker channel

"C" speaker channel has one set of wires hooked to player. they run overhead in ceiling somewhere but are not hooked up to anything.

I pulled the cabin switch panel off to see if they made it into there but didn't see them.
The wire pair for the "C' channel is a lamp cord. Green and white connected together. If you manage to find where it ends. I would appreciate knowing.
Remove the two drawers from the closet. In the rear of the opening you should find a small subwoofer with a volume control mounted on the floor. You can reach in the opening and fiddle with the controls. The system actually sounds pretty decent once you get the sub adjusted to your liking.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote