Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #1

What MBS Diagnostic Tool do you use?

Opinions on the best overall diagnostic scanner for the MBS Sprinter?
Are there features/abilities one may have the others don't?
Is there one thats hands down the one to have?
Thanks
Automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #2

I have been happy with the autel619, had good reviews specifically for sprinters when I shopped for one to bring with me on the road.
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL619-A.../dp/B0091DJWV0
It costs a bit more for the abs system read ability. I can vouch for it working. I am out on the road this week an got an abs/Esr light and Check engine light. Plugged in the scanner and found my only code is failed left rear wheel spin sensor. Shouldn't trigger a count down so I will wait until home and bring it in to the Mercedes sprinter service. I am still under warranty. I was pleased it was able to tell me which sensor rather than a generic ABS code. I would try changing it myself if not under warranty with that info, the part is around $105.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/fo...ysprune=&f=205

Here is a write up of the various scan units for a sprinter.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Thanks Fred that has a lot of info.
I've been looking at the Icarsoft MBII and the Autel MD802.
A side by side comparison of these two would be great!

What I understand from my reading is the MB II is MB/Smart specific and reads access from more MB Sprinter modules than the Autel, but the Autel can be used on other vehicles.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

My CEL, (check engine light) came on and I borrowed a Sprinter II check unit from a neighbor.

Although it is supposed to be better at reading MB codes , no faults showed up in the scan device .

No way to reset the CEL light.

Off to the Freightliner dealer in Ft Myers on Monday to have the pros take a look.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #6

Hey FFred, I'd really be interested in what they find when they scan yours. Interesting for sure, I read where the MBII didn't come out until 2014-15... Keep us posted on what they find.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
My CEL, (check engine light) came on and I borrowed a Sprinter II check unit from a neighbor.

Although it is supposed to be better at reading MB codes , no faults showed up in the scan device .

No way to reset the CEL light.

Off to the Freightliner dealer in Ft Myers on Monday to have the pros take a look.
--FFred, so what was the CEL on for?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Just got my Solera back from Mercedes Sarasota, My Autel 619 was correct, failed left rear wheel spin sensor , no other codes or problems despite cel/abs/esr lights all lit. So far seems to work well on my 2014 sprinter chassis gave the exact diagnosis, not a code to look up on the internet. Sensor was replaced under warranty.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #9

"--FFred, so what was the CEL on for?"

Sorry about the delay in responding the brand new Lenovo had a flaw , and had to be shipped off for a mother board.

The local Freightliner shop had all the Sprinter MB computer and the memory showed a fault , for a few seconds in the DEF setup.

It cleared itself , but did not clear the CEL light.

I trust the Freightliner folks 500% more than the MB folks , as there are too many stories of insane pricing , like $150 to install a cabin air filter.

A $20 part at Rockauto and 5 seconds to stick in.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Based on this thread I bought the Autel 619. Brought it with me on this trip (headed to Alaska, now in Oregon). CEL came on today as I stopped for road construction (with the engine idling). Autel reported "cylinder 6 glow plug open circuit". I was much less concerned after getting that report. Not sure what caused the fault, I had the Autel clear it - couple hundred miles later no repeat.
Glad I thought to bring the Autel along on this trip...
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
2012 Solera

Update - the CEL came back after about 500 miles (several stop/start cycles). Again reported by Autel as cylinder 6 glow plug open circuit. I am right now in the Mercedes Tacoma WA waiting room. They have confirmed a bad glow plug (number 5 rather than number 6) and are repairing under the 5 year 100K emissions warranty.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #12
2012 Solera

Vehicle returned repaired under warranty in about 2 1/2 hours. Turns out Autel was right - cylinder #6 glow plug. Kudos to Tacoma Mercedes!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #13

Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like an awesome trip!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #14

So I had CEL come on while on my way to Chicago. No time to get to a dealership and no driveability issues. So I ordered the autel 619 on Amazon and had next day delivery for an extra $25. Turns out my NOx sensor on bank 1 is out of range. Again! They've replaced the sensors twice already! Once in the first week we owned this rig back in 2015, and once again in 2016 while travelling in Florida. I'm beginning to think our Canadian version sprinter doesn't like the US...
I plan to head for home, hoping I won't get a dreaded countdown, although that hasn't happened yet. No change in fuel mileage or any other issues. Anyone know of a major concern in this case? I know that in this circumstance, the ECU controls for NOx by increasing fuel dosage, which increases particulate
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #15

Production, and clogs up the particulate filter. No evidence of that here. No black smoke or reduced fuel mileage.
I love this rig, but hate the service requirements. It's 7 times into dealers for major repairs. Most recently, the turbo sucked in the compensator ring. $5000. The dealer initially said it was covered under the emissions warranty, but Mercedes denied it! But they covered it out of Goodwill! I was shocked, but grateful
Old 05-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #16

Mercedes replaced my Nox sensors in august. They performed a firmware update that required new Nox sensors, a revised version ( third redesign) of Nox sensors according to part number. They seem to be trying to work out the sensor problem . Did you get the new ones forced by the firmware update? My understanding is that they are replacing them as the vehicles get a firmware update at a scheduled service. Still waiting for a solution to that airbag recall.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #17

The most recent service was for turbo replacement. The NOx sensors were last done over a year ago. Not sure if m ore recent update done...
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #18

Score another correct scan for the autel 619. The bank 1 nox sensor was caput. The dealer replaced the faulty one, but not the second of the pair. In the past two episodes, when I've had the replaced they did both. Any other experiences with just having one replaced?