Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
2018 Sunseeker 2400W MBS

Wheel Simulators... Ugh! Gotta be a Better Solution!

Just returned from 10 day trip out west to the canyonlands in our 2018 Sunseeker 2400W and had to return early. We'd originally planned for a 2 week trip, but headed for the barn sooner when we started hearing weird noises and could not figure out their source. It finally got so bad we were embarrassed to drive thru the campgrounds and actually had a guy pull up next to us while driving and yell out that he thought our rear axle was going out! Ugh, NOT a good feeling out in the middle of nowhere!!!

At first, the noises were just slightly irritating with a simple clunk here and a squeak there, but they soon got progressively worse, louder, and more frequent as the trip went on. I inspected and searched for the source numerous times, but simply could not nail it down. Honestly began to fear actual mechanical issues...

Fortunately, upon our return home, I was finally able to pinpoint the source - those @#$% wheel simulators! I'd made sure to secure them before we left (used the recommended SS zip ties), but all that did was ensure we didn't lose them on the road - and exaggerated the noise . The left front was still secure, but making a constant metallic "clacking" noise (especially in a right hand turn); and the right rear had become loose and was constantly squeaking & clacking like the devil (and it was LOUD)!

Removed all 4 just to confirm that was the problem, and she now drives WHISPER QUIET! What a relief! So now I'm faced with the decision of what to do... I know for a fact those stupid "snap-on" wheel simulators are NOT ever going back on as long as I'm driving, so it's either dress up the steel wheels as best I can, possibly upgrade to a different style simulator that grips the rim better or bolts onto the wheel studs, or bite the bullet and buy the pricey Alcoa aluminum wheels or some other aftermarket wheel.

I'm sure others have been down this road before, so please share your experience. There's got to be a better way than going deaf listening to all the clanking and squeaking from those @#$% things!! THANKS!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #2

If you end up going the aluminum wheel route, mine came with HiSpec Brand wheels. It's a brand I hadn't heard of, but they are nice wheels.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

Mine have also become so noisey and creaky that I am considering removing them and painting the rims gloss black. Aluminum just doesn't seem to be worth the cost just to get scratched
Old 05-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman from McMurdo View Post
Just returned from 10 day trip out west to the canyonlands in our 2018 Sunseeker 2400W and had to return early. We'd originally planned for a 2 week trip, but headed for the barn sooner when we started hearing weird noises and could not figure out their source. It finally got so bad we were embarrassed to drive thru the campgrounds and actually had a guy pull up next to us while driving and yell out that he thought our rear axle was going out! Ugh, NOT a good feeling out in the middle of nowhere!!!

At first, the noises were just slightly irritating with a simple clunk here and a squeak there, but they soon got progressively worse, louder, and more frequent as the trip went on. I inspected and searched for the source numerous times, but simply could not nail it down. Honestly began to fear actual mechanical issues...

Fortunately, upon our return home, I was finally able to pinpoint the source - those @#$% wheel simulators! I'd made sure to secure them before we left (used the recommended SS zip ties), but all that did was ensure we didn't lose them on the road - and exaggerated the noise . The left front was still secure, but making a constant metallic "clacking" noise (especially in a right hand turn); and the right rear had become loose and was constantly squeaking & clacking like the devil (and it was LOUD)!

Removed all 4 just to confirm that was the problem, and she now drives WHISPER QUIET! What a relief! So now I'm faced with the decision of what to do... I know for a fact those stupid "snap-on" wheel simulators are NOT ever going back on as long as I'm driving, so it's either dress up the steel wheels as best I can, possibly upgrade to a different style simulator that grips the rim better or bolts onto the wheel studs, or bite the bullet and buy the pricey Alcoa aluminum wheels or some other aftermarket wheel.

I'm sure others have been down this road before, so please share your experience. There's got to be a better way than going deaf listening to all the clanking and squeaking from those @#$% things!! THANKS!

One of mine just started doing this on this trip. It appears to be the center pice which is not attached to the rest of the simulator. I was thinking of using pop rivets when I get to attach them. I think next year we go for new better wheel covers. I have cut my hand several times on these while trying to air up the tires.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
woodguy

Those beautiful chrome wheel covers are stacked up in the garage no longer making noise and running down the road on their own just waiting for the next owner. The MH has a bit of a different look with painted silver wheels. Would love polished aluminum wheels but too much $$$. Guess we are not so glamorous. ��. Let’s just “rough it”. Cheers. ��
Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

Aluminum Wheels!

Bought the bullet. Dropped the weight of the motorhome by 12 pounds per wheel. Seven (7) wheels is 84 pounds!! CCC of our MB motorhomes are quite restricted to start with, but 84 pounds helps. And unspring weight makes the machine perform better, as well as temperature dissipation is supposed to be better. Buytruckwheels.com had the best price as a complete set. Sold those stupid simulators, but still have seven (7) steels wheels for sale. Anyone need a wheel?
Iowaprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamqcp View Post
Those beautiful chrome wheel covers are stacked up in the garage no longer making noise and running down the road on their own just waiting for the next owner. The MH has a bit of a different look with painted silver wheels. Would love polished aluminum wheels but too much $$$. Guess we are not so glamorous. ��. Let’s just “rough it”. Cheers. ��
Hi Gordon - I agree, I am not spending the $$$ for new wheels. I have the front covers in the garage and so far the rears have not given me any issues.

Seems AZ is having a cool Spring so far.

--mike

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

I thought wheel covers went out a long time ago as the covers always collected dirt and stones and at some point in time they would want to go in a different direction.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #9

I realize this post is talking about MH's, I own a 2015 Chevrolet work truck that I tow our 5th wheel with. I wanted to upgrade from the grey steel wheels to the factory alloy wheels, but at a price of $1800.00 plus tax, I said to hell with that ideal. I ordered a set of wheel skins off of Ebay, for the grand total of $60.00 for a set of four. They are plastic with steel clips that hold them to the rim. I have had the wheel skins on for 3 years and none have loosen, they still shine nicely when truck is washed. I might add that the wheel skins I ordered are a perfect match to the design of the steel wheels, you would have to look close to tell they are not part of the wheel.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

To simulate or not to simulate is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman from McMurdo View Post

I'm sure others have been down this road before, so please share your experience. There's got to be a better way than going deaf listening to all the clanking and squeaking from those @#$% things!! THANKS![/QUOTE]

I lost a rear simulator during our last trip of the season last year. I never heard it leave the MH and didn't notice it until we got home. The OEM simulators are a clip on style which is a poor design. My simulators were actually rotating within the wheel before I lost one.

I've looked into the bolt on type from Pacific Dualies (29-1608 Wheel Simulator - 16" Full Set, 8 Lug, 4 Vent Hole) but I'm not convinced that the bolt on method is the answer. How good is the fit on the wheel? The lug nut holds the simulator on and does that distort the simulator once the lug nuts are tightened?

Does anyone have experience with the bolt on simulators?
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
AF CMSGT RET

Lost a front and back on the same side from bad roads (freeways) on a trip a year or so ago so had the dealer put on a set of aluminum ones and 1 they are really good looking and like the man said lighter and haven't had a problem. I live in alaska and drive "alcan" at lest once a year round trip and no problems. So oooo love em
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:

I painted mine silver too. Added some chrome bolt covers. They look fine as long as you don’t look too close!
diane1433r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #13

I would love to take mine off and just go with painted wheels, but I can't find a center cap for the Ford wheels (they are easily available for the Chevy chassis). Anyone know of a source?
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #14

On mine the source of the rattle may be from the fact that 3 of the four pop rivets that hold the center to the hub cover to the wheel cover are missing.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
On mine the source of the rattle may be from the fact that 3 of the four pop rivets that hold the center to the hub cover to the wheel cover are missing.
Mine were that for awhile before I lost one on the highway. I ended up purchasing a set of bolt on Pacific Dualies. I'll be installing them this weekend. They look nice in the box.
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:

Did the same!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane1433r View Post
I painted mine silver too. Added some chrome bolt covers. They look fine as long as you don’t look too close!

Yep, added the chrome bolt covers.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickeljr View Post
Lost a front and back on the same side from bad roads (freeways) on a trip a year or so ago so had the dealer put on a set of aluminum ones and 1 they are really good looking and like the man said lighter and haven't had a problem. I live in alaska and drive "alcan" at lest once a year round trip and no problems. So oooo love em
I hear you. Those things litter the sides of both the Parks and Richardson every summer. Once they fly-off they're garbage due to the road rash they suffer.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #19

All of those useless wheel simulators could have a new life as a UFO...
Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #20

Never heard of Wheel Simulators, might give them a shot

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CHROME-Ex...b6da3f940b8971

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel