Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #1

Wheel spacers instead of Sumo springs

Looking at how deep the wheels are set in on the sprinter chassis. Wondering if anyone has used spacers (recommended I could go up to two inches) instead of sumo springs. Anything bad I have read about spacers seems to be user error.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #2

Everything I've read or experienced about wheel spacers is they put abnormal and often excessive strains on the axles. bearings, etc. And that's with spacers as small as 5mm, nut 50mm (~2 inches).

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #3

The need for Sumo Springs or Wheel Spacers sounds like a Overload Condition! Youroo! !
Old 09-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The need for Sumo Springs or Wheel Spacers sounds like a Overload Condition! Youroo! !
Well...that's because of a number of shortcomings of the MBS based motorhomes.

The first is that the Sprinter has a GVWR of 11,300 lbs...and most of the motorhomes come off the assembly line weighing 10,000 lbs or more. So all of them are right up against that limit immediately.

The second is that, in their wisdom, Mercedes has been unwilling to produce a modified Sprinter chassis with more rear axle width. So motorhomes, which can be a little top heavy, strain against a relatively narrow base.

And a third is that, again in their wisdom, Mercedes delivers their chassis with suspension components which, as near as I can tell, assume that the vehicle will almost never bump up against the GVWR. Their springs, shocks, and anti-roll bars all tend to be just barely sufficient and much better performance is obtained when some, or all, of those components are upgraded.

I suppose we can't lay all the blame on Mercedes - the motorhome builders have to take some responsibility for shipping products which are right up against the GVWR even though they're aware of the problems. FR, at least, went to the extent of upgrading the rear anti-roll bar (are they still doing that?) which certainly helped.

Ah well. Other than that, it's a very user-friendly chassis!

Dave
Old 09-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Depending on where you live wheel spacers are not legal. I would never do 2" that seems to me like a disaster waiting to happen. 1/4" is the may we can do here in PA as an idea what I mean.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

I think spacing the wheels out isn't going to help much. The springs and frame still remains the same width. Which in my option is to close together
Old 09-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #7

Dave X2
We all do what we can to minimize or lower the coach weight i.e. remove rear wood door, swap out shower door and installing aftermarket items like Summos or upgraded shocks makes it worth it. But I for one Am very cognizant of being overloaded.

Travel safe.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Not sure why you would say that. Wheel spacers or Sumo springs will not alleviate an over load condition in that they allow more weight. They will however help the ride, and in the case of the OP broaden the axle width leading to a more stable ride.

I will be adding Sumo Springs soon not because I am overloaded but because of the additional ride enhancement.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go UK View Post
Looking at how deep the wheels are set in on the sprinter chassis. Wondering if anyone has used spacers (recommended I could go up to two inches) instead of sumo springs. Anything bad I have read about spacers seems to be user error.
I have 1.5 inch Spidertrax Spacers on my Jeep for clearance but would not put them on my heavy Sprinter Chassis. Might want to look into the effects on Warranty first as MB is very strict about every thing.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #10

MBS

Would have better luck changing the rear axle, for width and weight capacity. The sumo springs just add to the ride comfort and are not about being able to carry more weight. Overall, I still love my MBS Sunseeker after two years and 14K smiles on the road.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman64 View Post
Would have better luck changing the rear axle, for width and weight capacity. The sumo springs just add to the ride comfort and are not about being able to carry more weight. Overall, I still love my MBS Sunseeker after two years and 14K smiles on the road.
you might look into wheel off set to bring the tire out further. still a problem with the body to axle width.

Tags
wheel