Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

Which dimmer switch to replace dinette light switch?

Hi all -

I have a 2017 Forester 2401WS and planning to replace the light switch for the dinette lights with a dimmer switch. Have watched YouTube videos and searched previous posts on FR in anticipation and now worried I might have bought wrong switch to replace.

Here is the switch I bought ... will it work?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7632.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	212119 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7633.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	212120

Thanks for any advice!

Kelly

Old 08-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #2

To completely answer your question, it would be helpful to know the style and location of your current dinette light switch that you are replacing.

I have installed the large slide version of that dimmer (American Technology Components). It works very well on the LED bedroom ceiling lights in my 2020 Sunseeker. I’ve ordered another one to dim the outdoor awning strip light.

The challenge with installing this dimmer is that it requires a ground connection. A typical light switch might have a 12 volt wire and the wire going to the light, but no ground or negative wire. However, if the switch you’re replacing is a lighted switch, it may have a ground wire already wired in, or there may be a ground wire connected to a switch nearby that you could tap into. Or perhaps you can find a point on the chassis that you could screw on a ground wire. In any case, verify that the proposed ground connection is a good ground by using an ohmmeter back to a known ground/common or chassis point.

BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

I like the idea of a dimmer on the lights. What is the brand and part number of the one you have?

Behind bars, which one did you use.

Thanks for the info.
gmccullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #4

Here is a product page on the company web site. I just noticed they also have low side dimmers (controls the lower voltage side of the lamp) as well as high side, but I don’t know if the low side versions are readily available. For this particular brand and style, I’ve seen only the high side (controls the 12 volt side) dimmers for sale.

https://www.atcomp.com/product-categ...product-page=2

Personally I like the high side variety, but as I said before, it does require a ground. I don’t know the requirements for the low side version.

Below is a link to a comparison of a variety of RV dimmers:
http://rv-project.com/gear/dimmers.php
The compact panel mounted round knob dimmer seems to be popular on the forum.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

Thanks, all. I consider myself handy and an avid learner/applier, but as a registered nurse, not classically trained in the more mechanical aspects of life. In fact, a bit afraid of electrical, in particular!
I want to learn though and change this switch out. Would “low side” switches be better?
Old 08-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Thanks in particular to BehindBars ... checked out those links you provided and feel much more educated!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

Good luck. Unfortunately, there is not much more advice I could give without seeing your switch situation in person or knowing your exact skill set.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #8

OK....so I have actually attempted this!!! So I am speaking from experience - and not guessing.

I have a 2018 Prism, and wanted to start with placing a dimmer on the outside LEDs for the slide. Got the switch (as you have). Pulled out the old switch to find it only had 1 wire !!! Whaaaa???? Yeah - I guess the power or ground goes direct - which is not anywhere close to be found, and the other wire goes to the switch. Tried a variety of way and hookups but could not get it to work properly.

So currently I am stuck (but just thought of another idea). Let me know what you find out....we can work this issue together! They say two heads are better than 1

Mine is made by Facon - it has 4 wires, a black and white in, and a black and white out. I think what I need to do is find the other wire not present to fully run the circuit through it.

I know about needing the dimmers, when we turn on the dining lights - I feel like we're lighting up a runway! The last pic on this amazon link has the schematic for replacement - I just can't find the 1 lead.

https://www.amazon.com/Facon-12Volt-...00627721&psc=1
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #9

anybody come up with a dimmer idea for lights that are controlled by the one control RV system? I found the lighting module, not sure if I could dim the input 12V because the 12V not only powers the lights it powers the module.

TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch