Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #21

16000 miles, but the days were counting down. I will know better next time.
rrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Thanks for the advice , will see where I can locate the Mobil 1 or Valvoline at a good price.

As the unit only has 6000 miles I want to select an oil and stick with it "for ever".

It's not Mobil 1. It's Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, or one of the other ones listed on the MB site previously linked above.

If it's not really expensive, you have the wrong kind. 😉

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 32; RV to date: 35
Old 01-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Looking on the Wallmart site they offer 0w 40 "oil for european cars and trucks", but as it is not at the store it is impossible to read the rear of the container.

Wondering if this might be the MB approved oil??

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0...5-qt./23636902

NO. See above.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #24

Here:

Mobil 1 121218 0W-30 ESP Motor Oil - 1 Quart (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKK7YEQ..._JbcBybNFFPM0E

Also available by the quart and liter and in liter 12 packs. Look for the green ESP labeling.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #25
RailwayRog

Or this one if you want a 40 weight, some folks prefer this oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
Or this one if you want a 40 weight, some folks prefer this oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry, but that type is not on the MB certified oils list. Only four specific Valvoline types are on the list. None is a 40W.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-04-2017, 12:32 AM   #27
RailwayRog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Sorry, but that type is not on the MB certified oils list. Only four specific Valvoline types are on the list. None is a 40W.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Mines the older Sprinter that uses MB 229.51, unless I'm reading something wrong.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.51_en.html
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
Mines the older Sprinter that uses MB 229.51, unless I'm reading something wrong.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.51_en.html

Yup, it's there - just shows the value of looking in your owners manual and using the right spec for your bery own vehicle!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #29

Not sure but it seems MB keeps changing the oil requirements to keep the cat cleaner.

The latest spec seems to have a low ash requirement to help burn offs.

Not yet at W mart but the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 seems to go on sale for $5.99 at different vendors at times.

I wish folks that find these deals would post instantly so others could join the great pricing.

I noticed that many on line Euro speck oil change deals include oil, a German filter and a new seal for the oil plug.

Is a new seal required , for each oil change?

Strange?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #30

I post the sales whenever I know about them. NAPA runs theirs approx. every six months. I keep enough on hand for an oil change at any time. If I know a change might come up during a trip I will change early.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Not sure but it seems MB keeps changing the oil requirements to keep the cat cleaner.

The latest spec seems to have a low ash requirement to help burn offs.

Not yet at W mart but the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 seems to go on sale for $5.99 at different vendors at times.

I wish folks that find these deals would post instantly so others could join the great pricing.

I noticed that many on line Euro speck oil change deals include oil, a German filter and a new seal for the oil plug.

Is a new seal required , for each oil change?

Strange?
To strengthen this out, MB engineers have ALWAYS speced low ash oil on this model engine. It's more the DPF than the "cat" that would be the issue for clogging. Oil viscosity was changed, along with oil mfg reducing product lines, fuel economy issues, because more diesels were being introduced to the market place. All this was forced on the industry, (see
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corp...e_Fuel_Economy) to improve CAFE standards. What is never determined is the cost to consumers in higher vehicle build, parts, service, etc. that is the result of government mandates. Yes we all want clean air, the real discussion is at what cost. The real joke is electric cars, coal fired electric plants partly produce the electric. Try that discussion on a tree hugger over a latte sometime! Just sayin'

On your inquiry to oil sales; NAPA has been running their mobil 1 speced oil twice a year. Go to NAPA's site and review their monthly sales flier, that will give you their sales offer for the upcoming month.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #32

"Yes we all want clean air, the real discussion is at what cost."

Always nice to drive the NJ Turnpike, and know the gov demands my tail[pipe emit cleaner air than goes into the intake.

Perhaps soon the INSANITY will cease.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #33

It is fascinating how these forum threads drift (or veer) off topic... the OP asks where he/she should get service, then we go through the inevitable "what oil spec to use" conversation, and now on to intrusive government regulations and latte drinking tree huggers. The MBS V6 motor that 99% of us have holds about 12 quarts of oil, and, because of that large quantity and the high quality of the Mercedes-specified oil, depending on your model year, can go up to 20000 miles between oil changes... in my opinion, pretty amazing (oh boy, now I've done it! Opened up a can of worms on changing oil every 3-5-7-10-12-15-20k miles). Yes, using the correct oil per the manufacturer should go without saying, but must be emphasized time and time again... cheaping out on that little German jewel of a machine is crazy. Yes, some of us may want to do it ourselves (not my cup of latte, but more power to you, and worth a mention). But the editorial on regulation is way off topic and unnecessary. FWIW, tree hugging and clean air go hand-in-hand with spending time in the great outdoors, and should be respected, not ridiculed. If the air in New Jersey is really cleaner coming out of your tailpipe than what is going in, that is both shocking and remarkable... perhaps all the children and old folks with asthma should give you a hug!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #34

It is fascinating how these forum threads drift (or veer) off topic... the OP asks where he/she should get service,

Read your post and I still don't see where you recommended where he should get service. The threads do seem to drift.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #35

Right you are...
For the first oil change, I am inclined to take my beast to the local MBS dealer. In my case that dealer is the company that supplies the cab chassis to Forest River, and they have a pretty good reputation. Not all dealers are created equal, so do some research. Also check out nearby Freightliner dealers.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 MBS SunSeeker 2400W
Old 01-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #36

Well, FWIW, there is a new Sheriff in town, and his name isn't Reggie Hammond. I contemplate this while drinking my coffee, planning my next trip south, having a much better disposition for this glorious New Year. How about we set up an FR rally to coincide with Earth Day. Good olde Leon can meet us there in his jet. Bet you that consumes some fossil fuels. Now that my friends really is OT. So far I have done all my service other than the CEL issue I previously disgusted in this forum. It comes with being a DIYer, the ability god bestowed on me, and oh, i'm CHEAP. Whew, i'm back in line.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #37

Amen
Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #38

The only MB dealer who is authorized to repair the MBS near the Twin Cities MN (last time I checked) is in Rochester, MN, a bit of a hike from here. So I go to I-State which has two locations in the Twin Cities and several others across the Upper Midwest. They are a Freightliner authorized service center that is also certified to service MBS trucks including the MBS.

http://m.istatetruck.com/services.aspx

http://m.istatetruck.com/locations.aspx

:hugs:

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #39

Bio fuel

Bio fuel
Not to step on the OP's toes, but I thought I'd get this out to everyone and I know of no other way to get it to the MBS owners.

Good afternoon, Jimmy. Congratulations on the purchase of your new motorhome. I
own one myself.
You are correct in that states like Minnesota, Illinois and others now offer higher
blends of biodiesel during significant portions of the year. However, despite what
the sales group informed you, Mercedes does not void the warranty with the use of
biodiesel blends above B5. However, it is important to note that any issues that
arise because of the use of ANY fuel (whether or not it contains biodiesel) may not
be covered. Vehicle and engine warranties only cover the parts and workmanship of
the vehicle. That is to say that if a fuel can be proven to be the cause of any
issue, then the issue may not be covered.
Mercedes was one of several companies involved in suing the state of Minnesota in
the last couple of years over their biodiesel mandate. I'm happy to tell you that
the case was dismissed and all further actions dropped after the presiding judge
ruled that they had no standing. In fact, Mercedes, and others such as Volkswagen
(who also only approves B5), have previously sent certified letters to their
registered vehicle owners in each state stating that the use of biodiesel blends
above B5 is permissible without voiding the warranty.

I hope that you enjoy the use of your new vehicle and can rest assured that the
fuels you purchase are suitable for use with your new diesel motorhome.

Scott Fenwick
Technical Director
National Biodiesel Board

It's still all double talk to me !!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #40

Doubletalk indeed and I'm not happy about that court ruling. I'm pretty darn sure that line about the "certified letters" is not true. Can you write him back and ask for an example? Everything MB has ever put out has qualified their engine's compatibility with anything above B5.

Tags
service