Old 11-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

Who does your MBS Service

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and had a question on the MBS service. I just purchased a 2016 Coachmen Prism 2150le. Just thinking ahead to when I need oil changes, etc. I have only owned 1 other diesel and it was years ago. I took it to a local mechanic shop for oil changes etc. What do you all do / suggest? The nearest MBS service center is around 100 miles from me. Thanks for your Help!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! I take my coach to have oil changes and a or b service to the MBS/ Sprinter service center. Fortunately, I have one in Sarasota. I would still travel the. 100 miles if I were you. These are very complex machines now due to the emissions restrictions and the oil changes are only due 15,000 to 20,000 miles depending on your year. The emissions systems are very specific on oil type, usually not available in stores. Some here do change their own oil ordering on line or ordering at local NAPA stores. These Sprinters are a work in progress for Mercedes regarding the emissions. The def system is constantly being updated. My coach had a failed def injector and went into countdown this summer. They replaced the injector then updated the firmware in the computer. The new firmware was not compatible with the old NOX sensors so they had to replace those too. The new Nox sensors are the 3rd redesign due to premature failures. (Third times the charm?). All were covered under the 100,000 5 yr emission warranty . My opinion is to not to risk losing this coverage by a claim of using the wrong oil or failure to maintain. The dealer will also keep your system updated regarding firmware and possibly sensor replacement if firmware driven. Besides the dealer was only $150 more than the cost of my changing it. A small price to pay every 1-2 years for maintaining the coach.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the Reply. I was thinking the same thing, I guess I just needed to hear it. 100 miles is not much to make sure the warranty is good, and I would gladly pay an extra $150 not to have to do it myself. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

Doing your own maintenance DOESN'T effect your warranty, it's the law. Do keep detailed maintenance records with mileage. As an example of savings; MB spec oil on sale two times a year at NAPA stores about $6 bucks a qt. filter $10 bucks, all in $90 bucks. This diesel is the easiest oil change to do from an acess point of the filter and drain plug. MB cost to you, about $300 +/-. Time spent by DIYer, 40 mins. Math tells you that you paid yourself $233/hr.+/-. Oh, you would have to buy a oil filter wrench, or use a strap wrench on the filter canister, but thats a one time cost. And you didn't drive 200 miles, spend a whole day for an oil change.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
TARVIDSON

Don't forget the fuel filter has to be changed with the 2nd oil change. The complication of that is that there is a shroud that needs to be changed also that can fall apart and get sucked into the turbo causing untold dismay. I understand that problem has been solved but am not sure about it? I also believe there was a special tool required for that? I think my 2014 chassis has that bad shroud on it and now has 27,000 miles so it is about ready for that service. My first oil change cost $179 at my mechanics shop with an approved Valvoline oil, about $100 less than the MB dealer. The original spec on my unit was MB 229.51, the new spec is MB 229.52. There is a list of approved MB oils at
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.52_en.html
Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
RailwayRog

Like Still Kickin says, easy to do and economical unless it's not your thing to turn a wrench.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

That llittle 14' bunk house down by the river
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #8

I believe MB spec oil is met by std. Shell Rotella T.

I will be using the part synthetic Rotella T6 , but do not believe in the 20,000 mile change by MB,
mine will be changed every 6 -7000 miles as its so easy to do.

Oil is cheap MB pieces are not.

Best change is after a long drive where the detergents have max time to pull up the small fines.

The fuel filter can be purged of water (sez da book) and with the MB style of fuel injection is probably as important as any other service .

There seems to be a half dozen MB style fuel filters , have no idea how to select the replacement , when the time comes.

Anyone?
Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #9

STOP, wrong oil when you say "part synthetic. You will void your warranty and leave the door open to shorten the life of the turbo, DPF and other engine components. It's important you understand that MB invented the diesel engine and if maintained properly is pretty much bulletproof, other than all that EPA gobly-gook. Oh, on the oil is cheap comment, regular price for MB spec oil, anywhere from $9-12 bucks a quart. NAPA puts mobil 1 MB spec oil on sale for about $6 bucks twice a year. As to valvoline user, unless other mfg have gone into that low ash oil market, you also might be in a similiar situation. Like the previous poster said, if you aren't into turning a wrench, and you don't know what oil meets your MB specs, please open your wallet up to a shop who knows. I can tell you that if you do go to an "oil change place" other than MB, and they tell you they have an oil instock that will work for your Benz, RUN AWAY, fast.

On the "special tool" needed, that would be a clamp removal tool for the fuel line clamps, about $12 bucks online. As for that fitting that gets sucked into the turbo, replacement should be done during fuel filter change, cost, about $10-14 bucks. It's nothing more than a rubber sleeve that is on the turbo intake housing. That job is for those of who are mechanically inclined, and not think they are! Just wanted to let forum members know the straight up on these topics, that pop up on here from time to time.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #10
TARVIDSON

Sprinter oil

X2 on the part synthetic. There is no point in guessing about the oil, here is the
list from MB on what they have tested and approved. Shell has none in the US, Valvoline has 4 and Mobil has a several also.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.52_en.html

Tags
service