Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #21

If anyone wants to do a bit of DIY investigation, two teststo find if a poor pedal is coming mainly from the front or the rear brakes are:

1. If the parking brake mechanism actually applies the rear service brakes (i.e. is not a separate braking system), apply the parking brake lightly to take up slack in the system. If this makes the pedal firmer, the rear has excess travel.

2. Pinch off the 2 flexible hoses that go to the wheels at either the front or rear. CAUTION: in this configuration, those brakes are disabled. Braking ability will be seriously reduced. Only do this in an open area and at low speed. An empty parking lot is what I use.

The pedal will always get somewhat firmer, but if the softness/play is almost completely gone this is probably the end that is creating the problem. Repeat at the other end and compare.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #22

STOP! STOP! STOP! Stay focused here. ONLY reply if you expierence soft/spongy braking as the ORIGINAL POSTER requested. He is trying to get MB in on this. Please respect his request. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #23

Yes, I have the same problem. It seems to be inherent for the Solera 24R. Everyone has the same complaint and I don't think that there is a fix for it. Probably very soft brake pad material, not like the Ford that I was used to.
paul huyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #24

It's apparent MB could care less
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #25

Does the check engine light come on when the brake fails?
rvcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcamper View Post
Does the check engine light come on when the brake fails?
No. Brake system has separate light. The brakes are technically not failing since no code is being thrown.

Let's keep this survey on track. I want to know ONLY if you have soft, spongy brakes, difficulty stopping or excess travel in the pedal. If so answer "Yes" to this thread and also the year of your CHASSIS, not coach, would be handy. Then, with your VIN available, call 800-FOR MERCEDES (SELECT OPTION 4) and tell them about your brakes.

I'm in touch with MB USA and also have a service appointment scheduled Oct. 8. I'm attempting to go to bat for me as well as all the other owners with this issue, too.

I'll report the results of my service visit here on the forum after October 8.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #27

Yes. 2015 Solera 24R
rvcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #28

I've driven a Coachman Prism and Solera.
They both were "spongy".
I think they all appear that way on these 10k + lb rigs.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #29

Spongy Brake Pedal

Yes, 2015 Forester MBS.

Took vehicle to two dealers, one had no clue, the other had a technician drive it and stated "normal" for a heavy RV on a Sprinter chassis. I would agree only if the pedal did not get firmer when you released and reapplied the brakes. Guess it's a MB "feature".
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I've driven a Coachman Prism and Solera.
They both were "spongy".
I think they all appear that way on these 10k + lb rigs.
BS! Brakes should be FIRM -- NO MATTER what the rig weighs! I've had Ford and Chevy C-class rigs. All much bigger than my current 24' MB. Something is wrong.

A couple of us have made complaints to NHTSA. Could everyone else with this issue take a moment to do so as well????

I'm also going to start a new thread on this to try to get enough complaints registered at NHTSA to get noticed.
Here's a quote from NHTSA regarding my complaint:

Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.
Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) with your family, friends and others in your community.

If we can start a "TREND" at NHTSA, maybe we can get something done!!
I ask for your help in going to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and filing a complaint.
THANKS!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
BS! Brakes should be FIRM -- NO MATTER what the rig weighs! I've had Ford and Chevy C-class rigs. All much bigger than my current 24' MB. Something is wrong.

THANKS!

Nothing is "wrong" per se.
That is the way they are engineered.
I drove 2 Mercedes units before I bought a Chevy for this and other reasons.

Have you crawled under the rig and compared the rear end to a Ford or a Chevy? How about the frame rails...and the brakes.
How about the track width? Why do you think everyone is putting on Hellwigs, Sumo springs and Bilsteins? Oh yeah- and 6 lugs...
Probably because even though Merc has an 11k GVWR, they were not designed for such a large tall heavy box me thinks.

All I can say is "Good luck" with your NHTSA request for Merc.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #32

Look, just respect the original poster request will ya please. Stop adding your input when not pertinent to the objective. When he is trying to get a point across to MB about an unsafe cond. in post '13 (redesigned, hint hint) model years. You guys that just chime in with your opinion, when not on topic, or lack of complete sprinter history just muddy up the purpose of the thread. Come on guys, respect each other and READ the OP's request. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #33

X2

Certain posts don't always require an "expert"

Let me get an amen!

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Nothing is "wrong" per se.
That is the way they are engineered.
I drove 2 Mercedes units before I bought a Chevy for this and other reasons.

Have you crawled under the rig and compared the rear end to a Ford or a Chevy? How about the frame rails...and the brakes.
How about the track width? Why do you think everyone is putting on Hellwigs, Sumo springs and Bilsteins? Oh yeah- and 6 lugs...
Probably because even though Merc has an 11k GVWR, they were not designed for such a large tall heavy box me thinks.

All I can say is "Good luck" with your NHTSA request for Merc.
If Toyotas can be recalled on bogus claims of accelerating by themselves, it shows that NHTSA pays attention to the quantity, rather than the quality, of complaints. Please take 5 minutes to file a complaint if you have faulty brakes on your Sprinter.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #35

Quote:
If Toyotas can be recalled on bogus claims of accelerating by themselves, it shows that NHTSA pays attention to the quantity, rather than the quality, of complaints. Please take 5 minutes to file a complaint if you have faulty brakes on your Sprinter.
Oh, BTW, I've driven other Sprinters, too. The brakes were normal. Firm, no play. Great vehicles.
But even at a standstill, my Solera's pedal will sink to the floor. It's not related to the size or weight of the RV. If the brakes malfunction while sitting still, it's a brake issue.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Spongy brakes are usually caused by air in the lines.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #37

Quote:

I applaud your diligence in an attempt to repair your issue with NHTSA.
You are correct in that they require a certain number of complaints to even consider such a claim.
Toyotas claim was both a quantity of claims issue and a political issue.
The "quantity" portion came from every Tom, Dick and Harry filing a complaint when they rear ended someone. (I personally inspected some of those in the course of my job- insurance inspector)

One thing I would suggest- you have your vehicle weighed at a certified weigh station. A good thing to do for any RV-er.
You do not want to be over the 11k limit if someone is inspecting your vehicle. That would include passengers.

Once again- good luck.
I did not purchase a Merc for this and other reasons.
I just bought a Chevy 4500 (2251) so I will not participate in the complaint. Sorry if I came off as an a-hole.

I will although advise my buddie to join. He complains of his brakes also.
He had his ABS controller unit replaced also and system thoroughly checked. No change.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #38

You are correct 4500 chassis is the way to go but I like the GM V8
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #39

Yes
dukeboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #40

patmcwhirter

Yes 2013 Sierra
patmcwhirter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags