Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #21

If anyone wants to do a bit of DIY investigation, two teststo find if a poor pedal is coming mainly from the front or the rear brakes are:

1. If the parking brake mechanism actually applies the rear service brakes (i.e. is not a separate braking system), apply the parking brake lightly to take up slack in the system. If this makes the pedal firmer, the rear has excess travel.

2. Pinch off the 2 flexible hoses that go to the wheels at either the front or rear. CAUTION: in this configuration, those brakes are disabled. Braking ability will be seriously reduced. Only do this in an open area and at low speed. An empty parking lot is what I use.

The pedal will always get somewhat firmer, but if the softness/play is almost completely gone this is probably the end that is creating the problem. Repeat at the other end and compare.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #22

STOP! STOP! STOP! Stay focused here. ONLY reply if you expierence soft/spongy braking as the ORIGINAL POSTER requested. He is trying to get MB in on this. Please respect his request. Just sayin'

Old 09-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #23

Yes, I have the same problem. It seems to be inherent for the Solera 24R. Everyone has the same complaint and I don't think that there is a fix for it. Probably very soft brake pad material, not like the Ford that I was used to.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #24

It's apparent MB could care less
Old 09-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #25

Does the check engine light come on when the brake fails?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcamper View Post
Does the check engine light come on when the brake fails?
No. Brake system has separate light. The brakes are technically not failing since no code is being thrown.

Let's keep this survey on track. I want to know ONLY if you have soft, spongy brakes, difficulty stopping or excess travel in the pedal. If so answer "Yes" to this thread and also the year of your CHASSIS, not coach, would be handy. Then, with your VIN available, call 800-FOR MERCEDES (SELECT OPTION 4) and tell them about your brakes.

I'm in touch with MB USA and also have a service appointment scheduled Oct. 8. I'm attempting to go to bat for me as well as all the other owners with this issue, too.

I'll report the results of my service visit here on the forum after October 8.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #27

Yes. 2015 Solera 24R
Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #28

I've driven a Coachman Prism and Solera.
They both were "spongy".
I think they all appear that way on these 10k + lb rigs.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #29

Spongy Brake Pedal

Yes, 2015 Forester MBS.

Took vehicle to two dealers, one had no clue, the other had a technician drive it and stated "normal" for a heavy RV on a Sprinter chassis. I would agree only if the pedal did not get firmer when you released and reapplied the brakes. Guess it's a MB "feature".
Old 09-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I've driven a Coachman Prism and Solera.
They both were "spongy".
I think they all appear that way on these 10k + lb rigs.
BS! Brakes should be FIRM -- NO MATTER what the rig weighs! I've had Ford and Chevy C-class rigs. All much bigger than my current 24' MB. Something is wrong.

A couple of us have made complaints to NHTSA. Could everyone else with this issue take a moment to do so as well????

I'm also going to start a new thread on this to try to get enough complaints registered at NHTSA to get noticed.
Here's a quote from NHTSA regarding my complaint:

Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.
Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) with your family, friends and others in your community.

If we can start a "TREND" at NHTSA, maybe we can get something done!!
I ask for your help in going to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and filing a complaint.
THANKS!

Tags
brakes