Old 07-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #1

Who Sells Non Biodiesel?

I would like to avoid putting biodiesel in my Sprinter if I can find it.

Is there an app or website that one can consult while traveling to find out who is selling non bio diesel?

2004 Bluebird M380 (sold)
GeoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Haven't seen an app but someone else on the forum may know. I always avoid pilot, flying J, Murphy oil and racetrack. They all sell biodiesel . I try to stick to Exxon,shell,Bp. Some times the pumps are unlabeled but if we are remote then we take what we can get and still change the oil yearly or 10000 miles.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #3

We simply avoid truck stops.

This saves 10-15 c per gallon and much of the bio gunk hassles.

They are "supposed" to label any pump that delivers a high percentage of bio, bit I am not certain it is always followed.

The ethanol & farmers have a strong lobby so this problem will exist forever.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
DDC

That's a very rare commodity these days, I believe most stated have regulated so much MUST be in it and they ALL have it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
That's a very rare commodity these days, I believe most stated have regulated so much MUST be in it and they ALL have it.
I'm afraid you may be right, but I'd rather avoid bio diesel or ethanol gas. We had until recently a non ethanol pump near by, but it's gone now. When I was towing a boat, we still had some options, but now it looks like the corn and soy bean growers have won...
42 campgrounds/292 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
We simply avoid truck stops.

This saves 10-15 c per gallon and much of the bio gunk hassles.

They are "supposed" to label any pump that delivers a high percentage of bio, bit I am not certain it is always followed.

The ethanol & farmers have a strong lobby so this problem will exist forever.
Biogunk hassles? Let's see.... my previous commercial truck did 968,000 miles, living exclusively on bio blends from B2 thru B20. Original injectors, pumps, etc when I sold it. My present commercial truck now has 856,000 miles on it, also using bio blends primarily B5 - B20. Still has original injectors, fuel pump, etc. Both trucks getting oil changes 50% longer than the OEM recommendation. These trucks operate primarily in the upper Midwest, so even during the blistering cold of MN, WI, SD, ND, etc. Sure, a couple more frequent fuel changes occasionally in the winter months. Takes me, maybe, about 5 minutes to change one out.

But considering that bio increases the cetane rating of diesel a notch or two, provides tons more lubricity to the fuel system than anything off the shelf, and does it so much cheaper, I guess I will keep using it.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #7

Bio diesel is good for the engine... it as great Lubrication properties.. Like the previous poster, it adds miles to your engine.. I used it in my previous Ford diesel for 15 years, no problems..
As for using ethanol, don't use it your small engines or anything with a carburetor.
It really messes up the carbs..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

Bio diesel

I travel north/south and my sprinter looses mpg when fueled from Indiana north through Canada. Minnesota has the worst with 20% bio mandated by state law.(thread in 2400W MBS) UGgg I have letters from state and Fed agencies, say bio is harmless and Mercedes can not act against you for using it. ???? All I can do is fuel and go and hope for the best.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
Coach

I once manufactured my own biodiesel, and I thought it was awesome. There are just a few things people need to know. 1. It's a natural cleaning agent. Diesel fuel leaves residue in fuel tanks and lines. Biodiesel will clean out all that stuff. That's great for every thing that starts out clean, but if you have a lot of build up, you'll probably be plugging some filters. 2. It does have a higher gel point. Depending on what it's made from pure biodiesel can start to gel at 35-40 degrees. B5-B20 I'm sure still has a slightly higher gel point than regular diesel, but I doubt by much. 3. Sometimes it's all about storage. One thing I like about trucks stops and high volume stations is they are constantly getting fresh fuel. Diesel isn't quite as sensitive as gas with this, but any fuel that sits for extended periods is more prone to condensation and sediment build up. I've never found anything to fear using biodiesel.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Hi,

Some of us ponder why the manufacturers would say not to use bio at higher levels. I, for one, start thinking there might be a sound reason -- founded in what they know about the way their product is engineered.

And so while I don't discount reports from the commercial trucking world, I also know that the really big trucks operate in a different engineering universe than the light drive trains many of us have.

And so as a guy who lives in the Midwest and owns a 2009 Duramax that GM says should not run more than B5, I am truly conflicted when I am forced by circumstance to fill up at a place with a pump label that says, "Contains bio diesel in percentages that may range up to 20 percent."

Gotta do it, but decidedly unhappy when I do.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel