Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #1

Wife goes flying through the door.

We just returned from a weeks trip to Washington, D.C. in our 2017 2400r. The DW got up the other night to visit the toilet, all of a sudden I heard a commotion, I managed to open my eyes just in time to see the bathroom door open and her coming head first through the door. Once I was sure of what I had just witnessed I asked her what happen, she replied the toilet came off the floor and threw me forward. Obviously she didn't see the humor in this but I got quite the kick out of it.

Next morning I began the job of re-seating the toilet. What I found was the flange that holds the toilet to the floor was installed at an angle. If you installed the toilet on the bolts at this angle you could not connect the water supply. If you turned the toilet square it would allow the bolts to move to the wide part of the flange. So if you sat down on the throne any motion would cause the seat to come out of the flange and thus dump its rider. Now that we are home I have to remove the toilet and rotate the flange to secure it to the floor. Do you think I should install seatbelts while I'm at it?
djb2400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

I just about spit my drink out.... that visual is a hard one to forget. You sound about like me, if it's funny, laugh, consequences later.. Thanks I needed that one...
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

It would be funny if it wasn't yet another example of shoddy workmanship and construction by FR. Don't think you can blame inadequate dealer prep or PDI on this one, unless a buyer is expected to sit and try out the toilet before purchase.

I hope your spouse is OK.

Waiting for the FR defenders...
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 AM   #4

Perhaps a crash helmet would be a good addition.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

I'd say airbags, but beware of the Takata inflators. I hear reports of schrapnel damage
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

actually,
my dw DID try out the toilet in our RV before purchase. Not the FULL go you understand, but a 'sit test'.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
actually,
my dw DID try out the toilet in our RV before purchase. Not the FULL go you understand, but a 'sit test'.
Your spouse is smart.

Guess we need to add "sit on the toilet and wiggle around" to the buyer's PDI checklist.

Airbags and racing helmet might be a good idea, as well. I'm glad the OP saw the humor, I am still struggling to find it funny. Can't believe we tolerate the build quality of these things just for the sake of camping.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Your spouse is smart.

Guess we need to add "sit on the toilet and wiggle around" to the buyer's PDI checklist.

Airbags and racing helmet might be a good idea, as well. I'm glad the OP saw the humor, I am still struggling to find it funny. Can't believe we tolerate the build quality of these things just for the sake of camping.
I guess I just take the position that I can look for the humor, fix it and enjoy the experience or dwell on the crap we put up with and let it ruin my day. If a toilet coming loose in this unit is the worse thing that happens I'll be very happy.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

I concur that seatbelts and helmets should be work while using the toilet.

I also agree that if a loose toilet is all that is wrong with the rig, you got a good one.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #10

I can hear the conversation now when someone asks to use the bathroom and sees a crash helmet and seat belts!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #11

Check your Rockwood toilest too!

She is not the first. Ours did the same thing on our first trip out! Fortunately, the pipe comes up far enough that nothing leaked, but it was truly a humbling experience.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

O Me O My

That's one thing I have not gotten blamed for, YET. But it did hit my funny bone hard.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #13

You've spilled the beans. If you kept this to yourself, you could have gotten a patent for a simplified fighter jet ejection seat.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #14

That made my morning! Sorry she had to go through it, but as long as it wasn't from leaking, it should be an easy fix.

As for the seatbelts, depending on what I eat, I may need those myself!!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #15

"You've spilled the beans. If you kept this to yourself, you could have gotten a patent for a simplified fighter jet ejection seat."

The reverse happens too.

Long ago I flew a French built aircraft the Caravelle .

On one if the first demonstration flights out of Chicago a heavy set lady journalist used the toilet , and the cabin pressure fastened her to the seat.

Strong enough that 2 cabin crew could not pull her off.

On landing touchdown the aircraft depressurizes , and she could finally get up.

AH , the "good" old days.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #16

Well I thought the toilet was going to be an easy fix. I thought I could just take the four screws out that attaches the flange to the floor, rotate it slightly and reattach. but NO. the darn thing it cemented to the drain.

I placed the toilet over the bolts on the slight angle where the bolts will be locked in place to see how much of a difference it would make. I actually think it will work better, it gives a little more room to maneuver. This will require a couple different fittings and a little flex tubing to attach the water supply.

At this in this position if the DW gets thrown again, she'll land in the shower and not the hallway. Happy trails!

Tags
door