Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Talking Wimp Horn - Replaced

Although I don't use the horn maliciously, I was embarrassed for the last time while blowing the horn on the MB Solera. I put an air-horn on it and it now gets adequate attention. No I didn't get the biggest horn to over-compensate, but my choice is plenty loud with a nice two-tone sound.
This is the horn I purchased. It came with a relay. -- Robot Check

Here is how I did it.
  1. I removed the wimp horn under the grill on the front passenger side. I used the wires from the original horn to provide a circuit to the relay of the new horn. I spliced onto those wires and left the connector wrapped in tape. [RAP--reference attached photos]
  2. I ran those wires to the location of the new horn and relay.
  3. I then ran a new 12 volt wire from the main fuse panel inside the cab. [RAP] I used a trimmed connector to insert into the non-switched power strip spare fuse location. This was one end of an in-line fuse, the other end ran out through the fire wall at a nearby grommet penetration. [RAP]
  4. Then I fed the wire across the top of the fire wall and behind the windshield wiper motor assembly. Be sure to strap it well away from the mechanism. Then following the existing wiring harness I ran the wire that will feed power to the horn through the new relay. [RAP]
  5. I mounted the horn and the relay on the passenger side of the engine compartment just in front of the air filter hood, on the metal housing. [RAP] Then made the correct wire attachments to the relay so that the horn is driven by the new 12 volt power wire. I connected the ground side of the horn to the side fender adding a ring connector under the existing grounding post located there.
I hope you find this helpful so you too can get the attention of other drivers when needed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Panel Conn.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	99384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn Connector Splice.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	99385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn Relay Wire.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	99386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimmed Connector.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	99387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Firewall.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	99388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Firewall2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	99389  

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Nice write up!! I have been thinking of doing the same thing, using the same horn. I have installed that same horn on my motorcycle, too. They sound great with plenty of attention getting sound!!
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #3

Just realized in 6000 miles I have never tested the horn!

2016 Sunseeker MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

i have tested it once. Since that I am ashamed to use it....
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

Why couldn't you use the original horn circuit and change the fuse size to higher amp. to account for the increased draw from the air horn? Current fuse is 15 amps. Just asking.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Why couldn't you use the original horn circuit and change the fuse size to higher amp. to account for the increased draw from the air horn? Current fuse is 15 amps. Just asking.
Higher amp draw requires larger wire. Otherwise you could melt the smaller wire with a higher amp fuse not blowing at the right temperature.

Bruce
Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Higher amp draw requires larger wire. Otherwise you could melt the smaller wire with a higher amp fuse not blowing at the right temperature.

Bruce
I understand the higher amp draw factor, but what I am interested in is to find out if the normal wiring for the horn will handle 18 amps.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I understand the higher amp draw factor, but what I am interested in is to find out if the normal wiring for the horn will handle 18 amps.
AWG requirement depends on the length of the wiring involved. Here's a table for 12 volt wiring:
http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Supp...ctionTable.pdf
According to the table, 18 amps for 10 feet (seems like that ought to be enough?) needs 16 gauge wire. (If it's 5 feet or less you can get away with 18 gauge...)

Dave
Old 02-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #9

The Stebel Nautilus horn draws 20 amps.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #10

There have been a number of posts about the limitations of the horn circuit and the computer electronics on the MB. Seems some have had an issue with the computer recognizing a current draw larger than 15 amps as a major flaw. Most horns worth their screams are rated in the neighborhood of 13 to 20 amp draws. So, I took the safe avenue and used the horn circuit as it exists to pull in a separate relay (less than one amp). The relay that comes with the horn works fine in this application.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhop25 View Post
There have been a number of posts about the limitations of the horn circuit and the computer electronics on the MB. Seems some have had an issue with the computer recognizing a current draw larger than 15 amps as a major flaw. Most horns worth their screams are rated in the neighborhood of 13 to 20 amp draws. So, I took the safe avenue and used the horn circuit as it exists to pull in a separate relay (less than one amp). The relay that comes with the horn works fine in this application.
I think the way you went is great! Just curious if the standard circuit was adequate. I am also in the better safe than sorry way of doing things.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #12

I bought a dual horn setup (F-150 hi-lo) and installed it yesterday. After arguing with myself about where to get the power source, I used the same as richhop25. I used a male spade connector instead of modifying one. I also mounted mine on the drivers side. I ran the control (relay coil) wires across the front just below the top of the grill. Sounds more like a truck now instead of a roadrunner cartoon...meep meep