Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
oreddie

Wind Specs

Here's a specification I haven't found listed yet. How much wind is too much wind?

We're at the Oregon coast at an RV park actually on the beach. Winds have risen to 15 mph, gusting to 30 and our west facing orientation is bringing the SSE winds pretty much broadside to our full length slide out.

Of course the awning is retracted and stuff outside tied down. But should we consider retracting the slide until this subsides? It's really rocking the rig even with the rear stabilizers extended. My main concern is for the slide topper.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

Last year I was at Oregon coast may be the same place and time. At 3am felt like giant hand was using my RV like a toy. I was scared that slides would come off tracks and can't them back in. Moved slides in and slept til 8 or tried too. 6.5 hours to get to Washington. Have to drain water from every storage compartments. So how strong is too strong? I didn't want to find out
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

We got into big winds on a hillside above Palm Springs. 30 plus all day and all night. Shook us so much we couldn't relax, but we rode it out. We won't stay there again. Of course the hundreds of wind turbines, coming right up to the campground, should have been a clue for us. Lol
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #4

been there and done that:

- I've MOVED my rig, facing it a different way, usually INTO the wind - since it can handle 70mph while I'm driving, it can probably handle it while parked

- The slide is a question, but really it's probably more about the topper 'flapping' in the wind - we've pushed heavy bed blankets into each end, and it solved any problems. And, yes, especially during extremely heavy rains, we've brought in the slides.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #5

The OP's concern is about the "Slide Topper": that is an awning over the slide unit.
Yes, if the wind is strong, you risk the awning being ripped off the awning assembly. I would definitely retract the slide if high winds are encountered while camping.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

I've read the some people will put a rubber or plastic ball under their slide topper to "strengthen" it.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Senior

I have experienced the slide topper flapping in strong winds too. If I experience this again I will use the tow strap I keep in my dinghy and some bungees and/or rope to prevent it from flying around.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote