Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #1

Window shades & screens for MBS cab

For fellow MBS owners. What do you recommend for sun blocking window shades, and also window screens for the FRONT CAB where you sit when driving. There seem to be several ways to go on this and I'm hoping some of you have tried some of these and can recommend particular products to use (or to avoid). Again, this is to block sun from heating up the MB passenger cab while camping. Also for screens to put in the cab windows to allow the breeze to flow through while camping. Thanks for any advise!
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #2

http://www.high-end-motorsports.com/...FRBEfgod0mgKTQ

Love mine.
flocktothewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:48 AM   #3

X2
Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

The front windshield screen works very well, just make sure to order the rear view mirror cutout model. I didn't, and had to cut it myself. When I emailed the owner of high end motorsports he sent me the correct model gratis. I just paid for shipping.

But the side window covers have suction cups that don't hold well at all. I've tried cleaning them, and the side windows, but they continue to pop off at 4 or so of the 5 cups. Irritating.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Team

I used the High End Motorsports inserts on our "W" and they worked well... Well enough I bought a set for our GTS when we traded in the MBS.

But for longer term, as in several days or while in storage, I think the white vinyl ADCO exterior windshield cover works best. It rejects the sunlight and heat on the outside, protects all of the dash, and stays in place very well.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocktothewall View Post
I agree. Mine work very well.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

Adco cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I used the High End Motorsports inserts on our "W" and they worked well... Well enough I bought a set for our GTS when we traded in the MBS.

But for longer term, as in several days or while in storage, I think the white vinyl ADCO exterior windshield cover works best. It rejects the sunlight and heat on the outside, protects all of the dash, and stays in place very well.
I have an Adco windshield cover for my Solera. There are magnets that syick to the side doors to hold it down. The magnets scratch the paint, particularly bad if there is any wind. They ruined my black gloss doors and I just had my drivers door repainted. I'm sticking to my silver reflextic front and side covers now.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #8

Winnebago uses these on their MBS based motorhomes. I've seen them mentioned here somewhere on this forum and they can be purchased from the same place Winnebago buys them. Not cheap, though. Seems like they were in the $700 range.

https://youtu.be/uGc9MxF6Tmc
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #9

IF the purpose is privacy , most anything works.

If the purpose is to keep heat from sun shine out the covers must be mounted outside the vehicle.

Anything inside may reflect some heat , but it will absorb the rest.
This is released inside the cab.

''Some fitted outside covers will allow 10-15% of the light thru , which allows you to see outside in daylight , and mostly blocks the interior view from outside at night.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocktothewall View Post
I have them and they reflect alot of the suns heat
Old 02-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #11

Another company to look at is Heat Shield Store. I have a set, front windshield and side cab windows, for our Ford based Lexington. Custom made for each vehicle, and fit like a glove.
Perfect heat/sun blocker and privacy shield at night.
As for "windows suddenly cracking"---not going to happen unless the window has a prior chip, nick, crack, which "might" lead to the window cracking.
Been using heat shields/sun blockers for many many years and never had a problem. Do a bit of backround and you'll find very few occurrences, and usually from a previously damaged window.
As for the Adco cover...used one for one season, and there OK as long as you don't have to put it on/take it off in the rain, and when wet it just becomes a wet, dirty, heave mess to put away and store.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
But the side window covers have suction cups that don't hold well at all. I've tried cleaning them, and the side windows, but they continue to pop off at 4 or so of the 5 cups. Irritating.
The suction cups have never worked. Added Velcro strips to each corner of side shades and widow frame and have never had an issue. The shades work great for privacy and do an incredible job reflecting heat and take 5 minutes or less to put up.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I have an Adco windshield cover for my Solera. There are magnets that syick to the side doors to hold it down. The magnets scratch the paint, particularly bad if there is any wind. They ruined my black gloss doors and I just had my drivers door repainted. I'm sticking to my silver reflextic front and side covers now.

To keep heat out, a white Adco exterior cover works best for me.

But even though the magnets are sewn into the material, you will get grit scratches where it attaches to the painted surface.

Solution: I covered the painted surface of the cab where the magnets attach with a small strip of clear film, like the film that is already on the lip of the hood to protect the paint. I can barely see it, and if/when it does deteriorate, I can peel it off and stick a new piece of film on it.

An exterior cover is exposed to the elements, so it should be cleaned and/or dried before storing. An exterior cover can also be lifted up to peep inside. For me, the cooling benefit of the white exterior sun block outweighed the negatives.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 PM   #14

I really like this site , we had some abs , esp , bas/asr lights staying on but brakes & stability & it got on the road real good except no cruise control , yes tried all the things that never for long & they did not worked for us , we even crossed our heart & hoping not to die . In the end speed sensers on 3 wheels they were probably just dirty had them replaced . Thanks again some info. JC
CCNJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

Like others here, I purchased the "high end motorsports" reflective shield set for our MBS. For the price, I was disappointed in that they do not stay attached, the suction cups get all crimped up when you store them and have a heck of a time getting suction on the windows. My unit dod come with the dark, magnetic privacy curtains that go on the side windows easily and fits nicely in the front window, although the color nay cause heat absorption and transfer to the living area. If I was to do it again, I'd spend my $80 on something else that I don't have to spit into to get to stick.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #16

I have been using the same "high end motorsports " shields for three years now and have not had a single problem. I still recommend them.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #17

(re: For fellow MBS owners. screens to put in the cab windows to allow the breeze to flow through while camping. Thanks for any advise!)

We bought bug screens for the side windows of the MBS cab. They work great and allow air but no bugs in when we camp. We have only used them a couple times so far but heading out on a national park tour and they should come in handy.

https://theskeeterbeater.com/

Tags
window