Old 09-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Winterization of 2400 W

A grim topic, I know...

We will be hitting the road soon, going East to Rhode Island via Southern Canada, and then in mid-October heading West to Colorado/Utah/Arizona/New Mexico/Texas. Having never winterized the "W", how much anti-freeze is needed? I am hoping we will avoid freezing conditions, but am thinking I should pack the anti-freeze "just in case".

Thanks!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #2

I way overbought antifreeze last year. I ran each water location until pink came out and I don't think I used more than 2 gallons.

Some additional points I had to learn on the streets that my dealer didn't tell me.

Make sure you remember to drain the water heater and do the bypass valves, no need to put 5 gallons in there if it's empty.

Winterizing valve is under the shower

Don't forget the water filter under bathroom sink and the toilet and sprayer too.

Don't forget to pour some in the drains / p traps.

Low point drain is under the RV under the bathroom there is a 6 inch round access hatch.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 09-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #3

Couple things to add from when we had a "W":

I blew out the water system with a air compressor, 30 PSI, and then used two gallons of anti-freeze.

Water Filter tips: Blowing out the system first will get enough water out of the filter case it won't be as messy. If you want to save a little anti-freeze put an empty water bottle in the water filter holder after removing the filter. Just be sure to remove the paper off the bottle or it will turn to gunk in the bottom of the case...

Our low point drains were on flexible hoses, I had to fish around for them thru that access hatch. The low point drains had "caps" that only needed a twist to drain you didn't need to remove them.

Remove the drain plug on your water heater and let it drain. Release the pressure valve on the tank first or expect a serious blast of water! You may want to replace the nylon drain plug with a brass kit with a petcock. That will make it easier next time as our was a total PITA to access.

It was about a 30 minute job the first time I winterized. Now that I know where everything is it would have been faster...except I get to figure out the GTS this year...

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Good points! I did the same. After I blew out the lines, I did the antifreeze just incase.

I need to replace that cheap plastic one on the water heater!

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses!

I remember taking off the access cover under the shower, which reveals the pump, along with the winterization valve. I believe there is a section of hose that comes out of that valve... Is that a drain hose, or can you put it in the anti-freeze bottle to pump the solution through the water system? I know where the low point drain hose is, and this is not it.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I remember taking off the access cover under the shower, which reveals the pump, along with the winterization valve. I believe there is a section of hose that comes out of that valve... Is that a drain hose, or can you put it in the anti-freeze bottle to pump the solution through the water system? I know where the low point drain hose is, and this is not it.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
The hose under the shower is the pick up hose for the anti-freeze. Remove the cap on the hose and put it at the bottom of the anti-freeze bottle. Flip the switch, turn on the water pump, and it will suck the anti-freeze through the system.

Note: (Make sure you Bypass the water heater before doing this step!)
Starting at the furthest point, your kitchen sink, open the hot and cold water valves until the pink flows out. Then close them and move to the bathroom sink and then the shower and repeat the process until anti-freeze is flowing out of every faucet on both hot and cold sides. Don't forget to do the clean water flow to the toilet. And don't forget the outside shower as well...

You also want to see pink coming out of the low point drains outside before you close them. After everything is closed up dump a little more antifreeze down each sink / shower and toilet to protect the p traps and the toilet bowl seal. Also don't forget to dump the fresh, gray, and black tanks. Add some anti-freeze to the black tank as well to protect the dump valves. The grey tank will pick up some anti-freeze from the sinks and shower. I just left the fresh water tank drain valve open rather than add anti-freeze to it...

I disconnect my shower hose and just let it hang rather than run anti-freeze thru it. Pink coming out of the shower valve assembly is good enough, the hose will "drip dry" anyway...

Old 09-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #7

Thanks for this info! I will print your response and add it to the FR manual, which does not mention this feature. The dealer may have discussed this at the PDI, but it is not in my notes. Do you think 2 gallons of anti-freeze is enough?

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 09-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Do you think 2 gallons of anti-freeze is enough?
Blowing the system out with compressed air helps minimize the need for anti-freeze. Even so I would have probably used at least a gallon more this year. The expense of a couple gallons of anti-freeze is nothing compared to the money we all have tied up in a RV. To me the cost of a couple gallons of pink stuff is cheap insurance...especially since you're much further north than I am....

Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #9

Winterizing MBS 2401w

We used a little over 2 gallons our first time. I agree the manual doesn't explain it and our walk through did not show or explain any of this!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

I'm lucky enough to have an outstanding local dealer, Three Way Campers in Marietta, GA, who covered all this in the PDI of our "W" and GTS. When we purchased our GTS all that changed is where things are located, the process remains basically the same. Between what I already knew from owning TT's, what we learned in our PDI's, and what I've learned here at FRF, I feel pretty confident doing my own winterization.

I've heard some dealers intentional don't cover this and charge a very healthy fee for winterizing your RV...not nice IMHO....

Tags
winter