Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #51
2012 Solera
We have about 75K miles on our 2012 Solera. Several great trips including Alaska, California to Maine and back, Utah NPs, Teton Yellowstone and Glacier, Banff Jasper and Grasslands Canadian NPs, etc.

We rented a Ford based "C" before we bought. While we enjoyed our trip with the Ford ( Yosemite, Death Valley, Valley of Fire), we both enjoy the Solera more. Found the Ford somewhat wider (harder to see back with the mirrors and harder to stay in lane on narrow roads) and the Ford V10 regularly shifted down and "roared" - the Mercedes diesel seems to be working much less hard.

Of note, except for two recent short trips with a third passenger, all of our travel has been with the two of us and our 110lb Golden Retriever.

Really glad we bought the Solera when we did - many GREAT memories. Would do again.

We have suffered two breakdowns. The first - the turbo "ate" the "compensator ring" that fits the fresh air intake hose to the turbo- was a result of improper procedure used by a non-Mercedes shop when replacing the fuel filter. Although more convenient shops may claim to be qualified to maintain Sprinters, I now only use Mercedes or Freightliner Sprinter shops. There are some subtleties in the maintenance procedures. We limped to Freightliner ATC in Oklahoma City who replaced the turbo and several related parts and got us back on the road in a day - KUDOS to them! Second breakdown was a failed Electronic Stability Processor - we were towed in to Sacramento Mercedes (about a hundred miles) and it took about a week to repair (parts availability). In both cases the repairs seem well done - no subsequent issues in tens of thousands of miles.

If I were buying now, I would probably buy another Sprinter "C". I would wish someone was building a chassis for "C" Motorhomes that was more reliable (like Toyota) but that isn't the case. Really doubt either Ford or GM would do better than our Sprinter has to date. As reliability is probably similar, I like driving the Sprinter better as stated above.

I have so far avoided fuel marked >5% biodiesel. Should that prove impossible, I plan to shorten the oil change interval, as I understand the primary issue is oil dilution during the DPF clean cycle.

Again, wish there was a more reliable vehicle available - now have about 115K on our 2005 Prius with zero reliability issues (a much more complex and less proven drivetrain), but given what is available would likely buy another Sprinter today.

2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #52
Jim, what are you feeding that dog (110 lbs)!!. I too like my '12 Solera. The torque on the diesel still amazes me at 3.0 L. One issue to note is MB has re-designed the NOX sensors because they are seeing a higher failure rate in the MB 3500 chassis when put in duty of RVs and ambulances. The DEF injection tends to cool the combustion sufficiently to cause premature cracking in the ceramic portion of the sensor before the antisapated duty cycle, resulting in failure, and a CEL. This was in discussion with a MB service tech, although not "official ". They also replaced the DEF injector nozzle along with both NOXs and replaced the SCR. Something tells me they are seeing higher incidence of problems when in heavy duty use, like RVs and ambulances.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #53
Would you buy another Sprinter chassis motorhome if you had it to do over

We have a 2017 MBS 2400W, have traveled about 7300 miles, and are very happy with both the chassis and the coach. I love the diesel power, as well as the overall look of the beast. With just my wife and I on board and with no interest in towing, we are fine with the the chassis load limits. So the short answer is "yes!" We will be clocking another 7500 miles before year's end, so we will offer updates on our experiences.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #54
Thumbs up rate my MBS sprinter 24ft top notch

Have had sprinte5(Solera) for 2 1/2 yrs with 32,000 miles and no problems. Most reliable, good mileage 15mpg at 70mph and handles and rides beaultiful and very easy to park thus no need to tow a 2nd vehicle as use electric bikes when needed. Very comfortable and responsive to drive.
William Mangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #55
Install a fantastic fan in the bedroom, get and purchase Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Windshield Sunshade 2003-2017
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #56
I have a 2015 Prism 24G (rear slideout). That gives us a great queen size BR.
Basically, I love it.
I have a couple of thoughts and questions.
Someone in the beginning of this thread mentioned a fantastic fan in the BR. I have the same thought, but don't see any pre-wiring for it. Has anybody installed a fantastic fan in the BR on this unit?
My other question regards the difference between the Solera and the Prism. They are both FR products built on MB chassis. In fact, other manufacturers also produce MB based MH's. I have to admit I didn't do much shopping around when I bought my Prism. Does anyone have comparison info?
In regard to my experience, we are currently finishing a 2 month trip from Sonoma County, CA to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies and back. Lots of up and down grades. The MB performs wonderfully, even towing a 2010 Honda Fit, which itself is carrying a kayak, 2 bikes, and lots of spare gear.
I agree this is not a full timer's rig. Storage is limited. We have to do a lot of frequent food shopping. Also, I find tankage is small, limiting us to about 4 days boondocking. In fact, I just installed a removable hanging clothes bar in the shower, which we rarely use, giving us another closet, with a quick conversion to shower when we use it. Most places we go have public showers, or we use the outside shower when it's warm.
We generally take 2 trips a year of around 2 months each, plus lots of long weekenders. Our Prism serves our needs, but as with most things, there are compromises. BTW, we travel with 2 people and a small dog. I wouldn't consider it for any larger group.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #57
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Sorry, I stand corrected.

Fellow MB Sprinter chassis owners. bookmark the following site.
Once there do a search by the zip code where you need repair.
Freightliner SPRINTER dealers will do warranty service as well as normal service on your Mercedes Benz

Want me to post the email I received from Mercedes Benz USA so I can stop others from attempting to start an arguement, I WILL
Please do post it. It's always nice to be informed going into a dealer. Thanks
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #58
We love our 2014 Solera 24R is so much roomier than the ford chassis. Most of our driving is in the mountains and we tow a Smart car. Plenty of power and get around 15mpg. Had a few problems first year with CEL lights but Redding Freightliner did a great job and no problems this past year. Would love to continue with this size unit but our grandchildren always beg to come along. Small size of the MBS motor home just does not work with 3-6 grandchildren so time to trade for a larger unit. Have not found anything we like as much as our Solera. May just find an older class A for use with the GK and keep the Solera for the two of us.
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #59
I would not - I did and will never buy a gasser again. Had a Jayco E450 before, felt like a truck with no legroom for the driver, less for the passenger and always really hot down there. Next was a Solera 24R - what a pleasure to drive! Loved it, had it for 3 years / 30000 miles and now have the Forester 2400W. Same driving comfort with a wonderful floorplan! Just came home from a 5000 mile trip....
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #60
I would buy another too. Eventually we will buy a w model. Just have to figure out the storage issue with the w. I carry a lot of stuff in my s model.
I love driving it. Handles great with the suspension upgrades.

Sandiegodoug is online now   Reply With Quote