Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #21
psribbens

MBS, No, I wouldn't do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocktothewall View Post
Having come from a similar style of camping as you, I'll chime in on my limited experience with ours.

On the one hand we love it. I have a lot of pride when I see another MBS motorhome roll down the highway. I think they look good.........

Personally the ONLY real bother I have that I wish I would have known or better put, understood BEFORE I purchased was the cargo carrying capacity and towing capacity.

Pretty much all the class c type MBS are almost maxed on the chassis weight WITHOUT much cargo room. Ours has 900 lbs. I think without propane or water. With myself, wife and two kids, and food - we don't carry water anymore (found most places we stay has water fill somewhere or we'll fill up close to where we stay) I would venture to say we're at or over our Gross Vehicle weight.

That would have been the deal breaker for me. Tons of places to put stuff. Especially in the "R" but no weight allowance. Can't leave our kids home, have to pack food, blankets, clothes and chairs. I mean I bought this to NOT "rough camp" anymore so what can ya do? In hindsight if I would have known that - I probably would have gone with the 28' Class A I was thinking of.

Towing capacity is small - 4,300lbs. All of our cars weigh more than that. So now we're debating selling a car and getting a Jeep or something that fits in that weight but it has to fit 4.....

...I'll say this, I know there will be a time I'll sell it, and get a bigger coach with more cargo capacity. How long? We'll have to see on that one. Do I wish I wouldn't have bought it - no not really, I like it.
We have two Grand-kids and we like to travel in the summer months. With the weight issue, and two seat belts in back, this vehicle is okay for two normal adults and two small children. 900 pounds goes real quick when the 4 people account for almost 450 pounds of it. We came in over 200 pounds when taking the 4 of us and our 30 pound dog out last summer, running empty on black, gray, and about 1/3 fresh. Needless to say, for many reasons mentioned in other posts, we went on a traveling weight diet, and cut down to the most essential items, and 4 Bicycles were cut from the future list.

We are considering an Ford 3051, or a 30 foot class A.

Yes, we've considered a trailer,towing 4 down and all that. Yet, we are two seasons in and have just about 10,000 miles. With the price of gas- Diesel fuel so reasonable, much of the pain of 8-10 mpg for a Gasser goes away. So unless we travel cross country a lot more just the two of us, I would not go MBS again, no matter which vendor.

In summary, for two people MBS is fine. For more, MBS's are too limited in cargo for us to consider another one.

In the meantime we will travel with the MBS we have, and consider renting a 3051 for the week or two we MIGHT spend traveling with our extended family.

No, I wouldn't purchase MBS again unless our traveling style changes considerably.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #22

I would have to say YES, We've had our MB Solera for 5 years now and have not had any problems with it to date. I had it into our Mercedes dealer twice and was treated very well and the cost I felt wasn't any worse than any other dealer with a motorhome. I do oil changes and other minor work myself which helps and I've done several mod on my own and never had a problem with the dealer over it.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #23

We love our mbs

We have a 2015 2401r and love it for we two and a dog. Planning to tow a Prius this coming winter. After a 37' C and a 33' A, it's better for septuagenarians!
maryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #24

Love our MBS Solera

Just the 2 of us and our 2 dogs, no tow although we have 2 scooters and bicycles we take with us, depending on our destination.

Generator question, ours is diesel and runs from the fuel tank, mainly use it on the road for the microwave. We rarely travel July-August, crowds and heat but have had no problem running the generator for A/C after having a hard start gizmo added to A/C under warranty work.

Maintenance, we use a trusted local mechanic for oil and filter changes, double the cost at MBS dealership! I do get Mercedes specified filters and have mechanic use them. Have had no mechanical issues at 10,000 miles. Our only issues have been very poor service at the dealership, they keep your rig forever and have a multitude of excuses. No trouble finding B5 blended diesel anywhere yet.

We recently went to Colorado and were very impressed with the engine in the mountains. Great gas mileage, about 13 mpg and should get better as we get more miles on it. Hope this helps!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #25

We came from a 2007 Winnebago View H on a MB 5 cylinder diesel. It also had a propane generator. I'll leave the others to respond to the MB. Two things about the propane generator. Propane has less energy than gas, so the same generator is rated lower on power output. If a gas generator isn't run each month you will get varnish in the carburetor. You won't have that problem with propane. A gas generator like in our REV runs from the same gas tank as the engine, so each time you gas up, you gas up the generator and the gas is always fresh.

We had a lot of expensive repairs on the Sprinter. Example $1000 for the SRS light lit. (SRS seat belt)

Tom D 2015 Dynamax REV RB Orlando
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
We at Fedex do not use the Sprinter based on reliability. There was a hole dug many years ago that Fedex could not get out of and it still persists today. Fedex wanted to move to a more fuel efficient vehicle in the early 2000's. They were using a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins 5.9 diesel. These 2 vehicles were not even in a class together. They tested a number of Sprinters and decided they could get better fuel mileage than a Ford van. They did put these in there fleet but they never considered the maintenance costs. The engineers here fail to consider everything when they compare products. The costs far outweigh the savings. Fast forward to a few years ago. Fedex wanted to start buying more Fords again to replace the Sprinters so they went to Ford to ask for a deal if they bought so many units. Guess What? Ford wasn't playing that game and still won't. They told Fedex that they were a small player and would have to pay retail if they wanted a Ford product. Now you know the real reason why they are heavy with Sprinters and light with Fords. There isn't 1 mechanic out of the 1500 at Fedex that considers the Sprinter reliable and cost efficient.

Interesting.

Well sometimes it comes down to if you are a Ford person and I am definitely not. I would put my money on the long term quality of the Sprinter any day.

And resale value is much higher on a MBS based RV model! That's a factor to consider as well.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #27

Our 2501ts is on order

These were the 2 models we considered also. We decided on the Ford because of the weight allowances, the larger sq ft inside, the larger pool of available repair shops, the cheaper cost of repair and maintainence, the more comfortable front seats, and the cheaper price. But our deal breaker for the MB was that, according to Mercedes, you cannot idle this engine any longer than an hour without doing possible damage. We could hardly believe this when we heard it. We currently own a 40ft diesel pusher (Cummins) which is made to idle! The reason we would need to idle is that my husband is on oxygen and cannot be without it. Yes, it has the generator for backup but because it's a matter of survival for him, we need a backup to the backup. You can idle the Ford all day long if needed. I spoke with our current RV mechanic and he said he would never get the MB. They drive like a regular sized van, which I loved, but all else considered, we had to go with the 2501ts. It's due in any day now and we can't wait!!!
Medic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #28

Yes, if I wanted another MH the same size.

Ford has more storage, weight, and towing capacity. Our 2400w has enough for our needs. We are 2 adults and 180 lbs of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Our biggest weight concern is dog food.

We never dry camp for more than 2 days without moving, plenty of battery, propane, and tank capacity.

It has all the handling and engine power we need, cabin seems quieter than the Ford. So far, only normal vehicle maintenance.

If you add EVERYTHING up from a dollar stand point in the end the dollar value may end up a little better, but probably not that much.

You are not us, the majority of MH owners are happy with their vehicle, whether it's a MBS or Ford. The most important aspect of a MH is the floor plan, then storage, weight and towing capacity. Once you find what looks like it will work for YOU, MBS or Ford become a minor consideration.
Skip51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #29

You're giving very good information about this subject. In here is the best place for all of us to find out about anything's, but this one I am so glad that I didn't read this before buying. I would be so confused and end up with none because I can make up my mind on what to buy. They are all bad and good.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #30
TARVIDSON

MBS pr Ford

I drove a new rental 30' class C Ford with V10 about 3,000 miles and decided to get the MBS. I have 26,000 miles on a Coachmen Prism LE2150 and am glad I did.
I have never weighed the rig or worried about being overweight, it is much more maneuverable than the Ford, goes up hill without roaring and sounding strained and is much easier to drive without constant correction than the particular Ford I drove. Of course both units can be improved with after market suspension items. I towed a Chevy HHR(3300 #) about 6,000 miles no problem. If I wanted a bigger unit I would have a hard time settling on a Class C with the Ford chassis unless the handling and roaring of the engine under load were dealt with.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #31

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience. You have raised a lot of concerns and benefits that i was unaware of. I know that whatever decision we make, i will be a frequent visitor and hopefully contributor to this forum. Looking forward to any additional comments.

Has anyone ever driven a Ford Class C with the cup holder panel removed. I was at a show recently and noticed that one was loose and could be removed. I'm a big guy and Fords always felt too confining for me. Based on some of the comments here, i am wondering if this panel also serves to deaden some of the engine noise.
snowcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #32
TARVIDSON

MBS pr Ford

I drove a new rental 30' class C Ford with V10 about 3,000 miles and decided to get the MBS. I have 26,000 miles on a Coachmen Prism LE2150 and am glad I did.
I have never weighed the rig or worried about being overweight, it is much more maneuverable than the Ford, goes up hill without roaring and sounding strained and is much easier to drive without constant correction than the particular Ford I drove. Of course both units can be improved with after market suspension items. I towed a Chevy HHR(3300 #) about 6,000 miles no problem. If I wanted a bigger unit I would have a hard time settling on a Class C with the Ford chassis unless the handling and roaring of the engine under load were dealt with.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #33

Dinghy guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanna View Post
We have a 2015 2401r and love it for we two and a dog. Planning to tow a Prius this coming winter. After a 37' C and a 33' A, it's better for septuagenarians!
Please take the time to do some research on what is necessary to tow that Prius. From the research I have done. Unfortunately a Prius is NOT flat towable.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #34

Not to add "biodiesel" to the fire. But a poster asked which states is diesel sold over B5. I didn't have time to research all 50 states but here is an example. If you buy diesel in Minnesota in the Summer months it is mandated to contain at least 10% biodiesel. I suspect other states are following suit and the percentage of Biodiesel will continue to grow. See this quote.

"B20 by 2018 Currently 10 percent biodiesel is required to be blended with #2 diesel fuel from April 1 to September 30 each year, with the blend lowered to B5 for the colder weather months of October through March. The statute now reads that the mandate would move to B20 on May 1, 2018. Implementation of the B10 mandate was delayed until July 1, 2014 due to inadequate blending infrastructure in the southwestern area of the state, and inadequate regulatory protocol for Minnesota Weights and Measures enforcement. Both of those obstacles were determined to have been overcome in the summer of 2013, and B10 was implemented in 2014"

While I am not sure about the warranty issues above. But the brochure clearly states that Biodiesel over 5% will have a detrimental effect on the fuel system and oil levels. My 2 cents
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #35
TARVIDSON

Sprinters and biodiesel

Re the biodiesel issue I am not so sure pumps are being marked for biodiesel. During a trip to the midwest summer 2015 I did see a lot of notices on pumps for B20. During a trip through the western states(as far east as North Dakota) this last year I did not see any notices on any pumps about biodiesel. I am assuming some of these suppliers, particularly the big truck stops had to be using biodiesel in their blends. The Minnesota legislation is scary when the state tells you your vehicle cannot have the recommended fuel.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #36
Site Team

I will probably never own another Sprinter based RV. I recently traded in a 2016 Sunseeker 2400W for a 2017 Sunseeker GTS2800QSF. The MBS was very problematic due to M-B issues, specifically the DEF system, that made it too unreliable to enjoy. In less than 2,500 miles the DEF system failed twice. The first time it took three weeks for parts from Germany to rebuild the DEF system. The second time was the DEF injector, that took a little over a week. After the second repair the dealer was not confident the issue was addressed.

When considering a MBS there are two major issues that will keep me from buying another, the dealer network, and the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).

First, the M-B dealer network. M-B was very responsive to our issues and offered excellent customer service. But there are not enough M-B dealers who will work on a Sprinter, much less a motor home, to offer nationwide support. In metro Atlanta there are two M-B dealers, out of several, who will work on a RV conversion. Look at a M-B dealer map and see how many M-B dealers there are close to Yellowstone or Glacier NP. Or in the midwest in general. This isn't an issue for UPS / Fedex as they have their own repair facilities. And a failure for UPS / Fedex is an inconvenience, the DEF system potentially stranding us in the middle of the Midwest for a couple weeks is a major problem.

I had never bothered to buy a "code scanner" until our MBS. On the advice of our local M-B dealer I put in a ScanGauge II to be able to give the M-B techs the event codes turning on our CEL. While it was a good idea I think it isn't a good sign you need a ScanGauge in a M-B product. Until you have had a vehicle that chronically displays a CEL and DEF warning lights, and experienced a "count down" for a total shut down, you haven't a had a PITA vehicle. I know several folks here will reply they never had an issue, and I'll take their word for it. But if you get a Sprinter like ours was you won't want another...

Now to CCC...or the lack there of! Our "W" had about a thousand pounds CCC. First deduct you and your family weights from 1,000 pounds. What is left is your weight allowance for all your camping gear, food, and three water tanks... I weighed our MBS at a Cat Scale and was already 40 pounds overweight without loading like I would to go on a long trip. Now go look at the Sunseeker GTS 2430, it is the same basic "W" floor plan on a Ford E450 chassis. The CCC is 3,580 pounds, three times the CCC of the MBS chassis with the same floor plan. Which better fits your needs?

The MBS has a lot going for it, roomy cab, decent mileage, and good handling. But I won't consider another based on our experiences. The question you have to ask yourself is "Do I feel lucky?"....
Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I will probably never own another Sprinter based RV. I recently traded in a 2016 Sunseeker 2400W for a 2017 Sunseeker GTS2800QSF. The MBS was very problematic due to M-B issues, specifically the DEF system, that made it too unreliable to enjoy. In less than 2,500 miles the DEF system failed twice. The first time it took three weeks for parts from Germany to rebuild the DEF system. The second time was the DEF injector, that took a little over a week. After the second repair the dealer was not confident the issue was addressed.

When considering a MBS there are two major issues that will keep me from buying another, the dealer network, and the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).

First, the M-B dealer network. M-B was very responsive to our issues and offered excellent customer service. But there are not enough M-B dealers who will work on a Sprinter, much less a motor home, to offer nationwide support. In metro Atlanta there are two M-B dealers, out of several, who will work on a RV conversion. Look at a M-B dealer map and see how many M-B dealers there are close to Yellowstone or Glacier NP. Or in the midwest in general. This isn't an issue for UPS / Fedex as they have their own repair facilities. And a failure for UPS / Fedex is an inconvenience, the DEF system potentially stranding us in the middle of the Midwest for a couple weeks is a major problem.

I had never bothered to buy a "code scanner" until our MBS. On the advice of our local M-B dealer I put in a ScanGauge II to be able to give the M-B techs the event codes turning on our CEL. While it was a good idea I think it isn't a good sign you need a ScanGauge in a M-B product. Until you have had a vehicle that chronically displays a CEL and DEF warning lights, and experienced a "count down" for a total shut down, you haven't a had a PITA vehicle. I know several folks here will reply they never had an issue, and I'll take their word for it. But if you get a Sprinter like ours was you won't want another...

Now to CCC...or the lack there of! Our "W" had about a thousand pounds CCC. First deduct you and your family weights from 1,000 pounds. What is left is your weight allowance for all your camping gear, food, and three water tanks... I weighed our MBS at a Cat Scale and was already 40 pounds overweight without loading like I would to go on a long trip. Now go look at the Sunseeker GTS 2430, it is the same basic "W" floor plan on a Ford E450 chassis. The CCC is 3,580 pounds, three times the CCC of the MBS chassis with the same floor plan. Which better fits your needs?

The MBS has a lot going for it, roomy cab, decent mileage, and good handling. But I won't consider another based on our experiences. The question you have to ask yourself is "Do I feel lucky?"....
FYI fellow MBS Sprinter owners. Freightliner will work on your MBS Sprinter chassis, your motorhome will easily fit in their repair facility, and the repair fee will usually be less than at a MB Sprinter dealership
Old 09-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #38

Not all Freightliner dealers
Old 09-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Not all Freightliner dealers
Sorry, I stand corrected.

Fellow MB Sprinter chassis owners. bookmark the following site.
Once there do a search by the zip code where you need repair.
Freightliner SPRINTER dealers will do warranty service as well as normal service on your Mercedes Benz

Parts and Service | Freightliner Sprinter

Want me to post the email I received from Mercedes Benz USA so I can stop others from attempting to start an arguement, I WILL
Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #40

Probably not-----------next time, if there is a next time, it will be a Ford Diesel if they make one for RV's.
Marvin
GA_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome