Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Would you buy another Sprinter chassis motorhome if you had it to do over

Please excuse this long post …. We are getting ready to buy our first motor home and are seriously considering the Forest River MBS 2401R. We are special-ordering it from a local dealer that we really like and trust. Friends of ours who own Ford E450-based Class C’s are trying to convince us that Ford is the better choice – I think that we could probably order the Forester 2501TS from this same dealer.

We live in North Carolina and our children live in California – we plan to make at least one cross-country trip a year. We are tent-campers and will still probably do a bit of that even when we have the motor home. We want to stick to National Forests, state parks and BLM sites. We plan to travel mostly in the spring and fall to avoid temperature extremes. We will also probably do a lot of long weekend trips especially while I am still working.

My concerns are mostly centered around
1. The generator

2. the cost/frequency/difficulty of repairs.

We will be traveling with two elderly dogs and we will need to use the air conditioner when we stop for meals or hikes. Our friends tell us that propane will not last long if we use the generator to power the air conditioner.

I have also heard both good and bad things about the reliability of the Sprinter chassis. I know that we will pay more for repairs when the warranty runs out but would not want to drive something that needed to be repaired frequently or broke down in inconvenient places hundreds of miles from a Mercedes dealer.

We would appreciate any help that you could provide – we want to make our decision soon and hope that we can settle on something that will meet our needs.

Cary and Melissa
snowcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

No. I love my MB Sprinter. However, MB states that you void your warranty if you burn over 5% bio Diesel. In some states it is very difficult to purchase fuel containing less than 15% bio. See Bros

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital..._Brochure5.pdf

Not worth the hassle
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Having come from a similar style of camping as you, I'll chime in on my limited experience with ours.

On the one hand we love it. I have a lot of pride when I see another MBS motorhome roll down the highway. I think they look good.

I had a great deal of concern about propane consumption and the generator but I've not found anything to complain about. We get about 9 gallons or so of propane - I think the generator burns less than 1/2 gallon per hour under load or so.

Mathematically that's 18 hours, but that's ALOT of generator run time for such a small rig. Install a fantastic fan in the bedroom, get and purchase http://www.high-end-motorsports.com/...sun-shade.html
To reflect the uv coming in from the biggest Windows and you'll find it stays rather cool except in the hottest of days. We only boondock, and we've not been limited by less 4 day trips. More than that you'll push it.

Personally the ONLY real bother I have that I wish I would have known or better put, understood BEFORE I purchased was the cargo carrying capacity and towing capacity.

Pretty much all the class c type MBS are almost maxed on the chassis weight WITHOUT much cargo room. Ours has 900 lbs. I think without propane or water. With myself, wife and two kids, and food - we don't carry water anymore (found most places we stay has water fill somewhere or we'll fill up close to where we stay) I would venture to say we're at or over our Gross Vehicle weight.

That would have been the deal breaker for me. Tons of places to put stuff. Especially in the "R" but no weight allowance. Can't leave our kids home, have to pack food, blankets, clothes and chairs. I mean I bought this to NOT "rough camp" anymore so what can ya do? In hindsight if I would have known that - I probably would have gone with the 28' Class A I was thinking of.

Towing capacity is small - 4,300lbs. All of our cars weigh more than that. So now we're debating selling a car and getting a Jeep or something that fits in that weight but it has to fit 4.

Those are my observations. Honestly I love how nimble it is for an RV. We've taken it to tons of places bigger rigs couldn't get into. Parking at the store for groceries, restaurant for food (saves weight) or gas station is so easy. Ultimately that's why we chose it - so well live with the negatives.

I'll say this, I know there will be a time I'll sell it, and get a bigger coach with more cargo capacity. How long? We'll have to see on that one. Do I wish I wouldn't have bought it - no not really, I like it.
flocktothewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #4

Mines a 17 2401r if there was anything I didn't like it would only be 2 things, the sway needs to be addressed with bigger struts and springs asap, and the main entry door flys open too much dangerously on the opening and exiting the mh on windy days. Way to hat to hold small door handle to avoid.
BEMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 AM   #5

I most likely would not purchase another MBS chassis motorhome.

As has been pointed out, there is little or no cargo capacity. Once you've got a couple of adults and a couple of kids (or dogs...) you best plan on leaving the water at home.

Also, I think the narrowness of the chassis is a major factor in the issues folks have with handling. The problems can be limited by sway bars and suspension upgrades, but the narrow track, coupled with the height of a motorhome, is a difficult problem to overcome.

Dave
Old 09-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #6

Reliability is why I only considered a mbs chassis. FedEx and private carriers use the mbs chassis they don't use Ford. It is accepted that 250,000 miles should be attained without major repairs.

Maintenance cost is higher but you can pay more on the gas end overall driving a ford or Chevy front end getting 5-9 mpg.

Cargo is a common complaint but we are a family of 4 and it just forces us to not over pack. Keeping it simple is how RV life should be.

We don't tow but I had a 20 foot boat that would of been under the weight limit and most cars are as well. People who pull cars over 4300 should consider a larger motor home because they obviously like a lot of space.

The point of having such a nimble RV is so you don't have a toad. I have driven mine all over the downtown hilly streets of San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC and felt comfortable. I have passed other large rvs on inclines so steep they instruct you to turn off Ac to avoid overheat. I hardly had a change in the RPMs. I have parked on street parking and paid two parking meters.

One additional point, have you seen the W floor plan? Make sure you check out before ordering.

My complaints would be centered around the lack of documentation and general dealer knowledge of the RV. This forum has been so valuable and if not for it I would of been lost for the last year. My PDI covered about 8% of what I needed to know as a first time buyer, the forum gave me the rest.

I would still buy the MBS, there are good points to consider however by previous posts on this thread. Just have a clear idea of how you are going to use it. I bought mine to drive cross country multiple times. Mpg was a big factor.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
No. I love my MB Sprinter. However, MB states that you void your warranty if you burn over 5% bio Diesel. In some states it is very difficult to purchase fuel containing less than 15% bio. See Bros

Not worth the hassle
Think you might want to read that brochure again. Bio must be less than 20 percent.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #8

Yes, I would buy it again. I fulltime in mine. I've added solar and upgraded the suspension (Hellwig, Sumos and Bilstein). Carrying capacity isn't an issue as long as you can travel light. As a former backpacker, that's not a problem for me. The engine, with normal maintenance, will last a long time. Maintenance is pricy, but doesn't have to be done as often as gas vehicles. I usually get 14-16 mpg. It's good looking and easy to manage on the road (I do not tow an extra car). If you're used to a tent, it's a delightful upgraded to your traveling!
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #9

I would definitely buy again. I tow and the power of that little diesel is amazing. I might change the floor plan but other than that I love it. The chassis cab has more room than the Ford or Chev.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #10

I had Fords in the past, then I had an MBS Solera 24 for 6 years and after owning that I went back to the Ford. In my opinion;

• The Ford has more power - effortless going up hills whereas the MBS struggled at times.
  • The Ford has much better brakes
  • The new Ford 6-speed transmission is great
  • The Ford is more rugged
  • The Ford handles better
  • The Ford can tow much more
  • The Ford will be as much or more reliable - for example, on my MBS I had to replace a starter and a PCV valve. I didn't have 20K miles on it. The PCV valve failure caused the turbo to shut down. When the happened the MBS was un-drivable as it could barely get up to a max speed of 35 and couldn't climb hills. I don't want to put up with turbos anymore as a result.
  • The Ford is less costly to repair and service. Less oil to worry about. No need to change fuel filter so often. No DEF needed.
  • Easier to find a gas station! ... and yes, it does get 10 mpg vs. the 14 mpg my Solera got, however diesel was costing (and may again cost) more than gas and the 4 mpg difference really does not add up to much, especially compared to the $10K to $15K initial costs to buy a diesel engine powered MBS.
  • The Ford has much better side view mirrors

My general impression is that the Ford cutaways were designed and built over the years to work well with American needs for motorhomes. I never felt like the MBS quite cut it for that purpose.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #11

10-4
Old 09-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #12

I like my mbs. Mine is a 2013 s
Only issue is wife wants a queen bed so we need to trade for a w model. I like the fact that it's thin. I didn't like the ride in the ford, much noisier and clunkier. Mbs very easy to drive, fairly quiet. It pulls my Jeep Wrangler just fine. I would drive both , one right after another. Go up some hills, turn around in parking lots . Then make your decision . My mbs fits in a normal parking space at Costco
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #13

Hmmm I read it again. Like I said, "not worth the hassle"

The use of diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as
straight biodiesel (B100) according to ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine and fuel system, and are not
approved by Mercedes-Benz.
The Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty generally does not cover damage caused by the use of fuels that do not
meet Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
Reliability is why I only considered a mbs chassis. FedEx and private carriers use the mbs chassis they don't use Ford. It is accepted that 250,000 miles should be attained without major repairs.

Maintenance cost is higher but you can pay more on the gas end overall driving a ford or Chevy front end getting 5-9 mpg.

Cargo is a common complaint but we are a family of 4 and it just forces us to not over pack. Keeping it simple is how RV life should be.

We don't tow but I had a 20 foot boat that would of been under the weight limit and most cars are as well. People who pull cars over 4300 should consider a larger motor home because they obviously like a lot of space.

The point of having such a nimble RV is so you don't have a toad. I have driven mine all over the downtown hilly streets of San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC and felt comfortable. I have passed other large rvs on inclines so steep they instruct you to turn off Ac to avoid overheat. I hardly had a change in the RPMs. I have parked on street parking and paid two parking meters.

One additional point, have you seen the W floor plan? Make sure you check out before ordering.

My complaints would be centered around the lack of documentation and general dealer knowledge of the RV. This forum has been so valuable and if not for it I would of been lost for the last year. My PDI covered about 8% of what I needed to know as a first time buyer, the forum gave me the rest.

I would still buy the MBS, there are good points to consider however by previous posts on this thread. Just have a clear idea of how you are going to use it. I bought mine to drive cross country multiple times. Mpg was a big factor.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We at Fedex do not use the Sprinter based on reliability. There was a hole dug many years ago that Fedex could not get out of and it still persists today. Fedex wanted to move to a more fuel efficient vehicle in the early 2000's. They were using a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins 5.9 diesel. These 2 vehicles were not even in a class together. They tested a number of Sprinters and decided they could get better fuel mileage than a Ford van. They did put these in there fleet but they never considered the maintenance costs. The engineers here fail to consider everything when they compare products. The costs far outweigh the savings. Fast forward to a few years ago. Fedex wanted to start buying more Fords again to replace the Sprinters so they went to Ford to ask for a deal if they bought so many units. Guess What? Ford wasn't playing that game and still won't. They told Fedex that they were a small player and would have to pay retail if they wanted a Ford product. Now you know the real reason why they are heavy with Sprinters and light with Fords. There isn't 1 mechanic out of the 1500 at Fedex that considers the Sprinter reliable and cost efficient.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Hmmm I read it again. Like I said, "not worth the hassle"

The use of diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as
straight biodiesel (B100) according to ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine and fuel system, and are not
approved by Mercedes-Benz.
The Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty generally does not cover damage caused by the use of fuels that do not
meet Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards.
I understand your concerns and find no fault with your reasoning. just wanted to set the record straight as to MB limitations. This is directly from their brochure.

Fuel with biodiesel content greater than 20%, including B100, is not approved by Mercedes-Benz due to the risk of severe engine damage. Any damage caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #16

2017 MBS2400WS, just turned 3000 miles

We love it, Its quiet compared to the gas engine. Its plenty powerful enough and gets about 13 miles to the gallon pulling a 3000 pound trailer at an average speed of 65 mph. If I need to pass someone, I move to the left, step on the pedal and we increase speed to 75 mph in no time.

The diesel does not have the engine cowling sitting inside the cab so we have free access to the cabin and our seats can be fully rotated to face the cabin.

I am sorry but the manufactures can never put enough insulation on that cowling to quiet a V10 down. We had a chance to ride in a V10 Winnebago 30'er, Yes it was powerful but the noise was umbearable

As far as weight carrying capacity goes, Pull an enclosed trailer. You can tow 3000 pounds worth of trailer and contents and only add 300 pounds to the rear axle. The MBS Sprinter chassis is rated for a 4500 pound towing capacity.

We recently had our Sunseeker weighed on the way home from a weekend adventure, We were fully provisioned, had a 2/3 tank of fuel, 1/3 tank of black water, and 1/3 tank of fresh water, Grey water was empty.

Here are the numbers.
Vehicle rated 4410 front axle - our weight 3620
Vehicle rated 7720 rear axle - our weight 7580
Our Trailer axle weight 3060
Vehicle rated GVWR 11030 - our weight including trailer 14268

Deduct trailer axle weight of 3060 from the gross weight of 14268 gives us a GVWR of 11208,

In other words we are safe within the axle ratings but 178 pounds over the GVWR and the only reason for that is due to the tongue weight of the trailer.

Propane usage.

We have camped a total of 10 nights since i filled the propane tank and its still half full.

This past weekend we went to an R/C airplane float fly event and dry camped in a parking lot. We ran the generator for about an hour each day, the furnace both nights, the fridge on propane, the hot water heater for showers and dishes both days, and used 1/8 of a tank of propane. When you only have 10 gallons of propane, you learn to conserve. Or you do like we did and add an extend-a-stay propane tank adapter and carry a spare 20 pound tank in the trailer. We also carry 5 gallons of gas for the bikes and another 5 gallons of diesel just in case.

Yes the diesel costs more upfront and the oil changes, etc are more expensive, but, the difference in resale value of a diesel over a gas will more than make up for the additional expenses.

If money is an issue get a gasser, if not you will love your diesel

Sherman
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:

Not worth the hassle
Which states
Which brands
Is the Biodiesel content listed on the pumps
Is the diesel designated as LOW SULFUR ROAD DIESEL
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Which states
Many. All? No one really knows.
Quote:
Which brands
Many. All? No one really knows. Note that diesel blend may well vary from outlet to outlet, even if they're the same "brand".
Quote:
Is the Biodiesel content listed on the pumps
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Quote:
Is the diesel designated as LOW SULFUR ROAD DIESEL
Yes. All diesel sold in the US is supposed to be low sulfur.

Dave
Old 09-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #19

"We would appreciate any help that you could provide – we want to make our decision soon and hope that we can settle on something that will meet our needs.

Cary and Melissa[/QUOTE]"

Some good responses here, though I see only one who could compare the MBS to a Ford. I cannot either, but love my MBS, which is the 4th RV we've owned (pickup/camper, small Class A and 40' diesel pusher).

We do a lot of dry camping and here in Central Oregon the high cascade lakes get pretty cold during Spring and Fall nights, yet I've not had a propane issue. You could always buy a Propane Buddy and carry an extra propane tank but, of course, that takes storage.

My MBS warranty shops are more than 100 miles away from both our summer and winter homes but the two times I've had a warranty issue (check light) Mercedes Benz offered to tow the Solera at no charge (just make sure they put it on a flat bed). The first time I said no, I was headed that direction anyway: the second time (same check light code), at the recommendation of the warranty shop, I had it towed (flat bed).

If you are going to dry camp I would also recommend solar. My 105W panel keeps my house batteries fully charged, but then we never watch TV when we are dry camping.

I did have the sway bar added. I believe that might be standard now? Someone mentioned adding better shocks/struts. I plan to do that eventually.

Both MB and Ford make good engines. Hope this helps.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #20

I have a 2014, have put some hard miles on it (Alaska round trip twice) and would buy another gladly. First of all, the power you get out of the diesel is amazing and the transmission is smooth as silk! Haven't had any issues with the chassis at all. I have owned a Ford v10 before and will not have another. The economy is excellent on that diesel. Not so much on the Ford.
airman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome