Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Second Home

Registry
RV Name Second Home
Year 2018
Make Cherokee Artic Wolf
Model 285DRL
Length 31
2018 Cherokee Artic Wolf 285DRL
2018 Cherokee Artic Wolf 285DRL
Tow Vehicle
2017 Ram 2500HD Laramie 6.4L
Comments: 3 / Views: 599
Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered make another post in the welcome section and tell the forum a little about yourself and camping
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

I purchased my Arctic Wolf 285DRL4 in Aug.
(Traded in 2016 Forest River Cherokee 255P)

The main reason for the upgrade was that I live in Fl, and AC in the 2016 Cherokee could not keep up.
My 2018 Arctic Wolf has two AC units 15K & 13K.

That being said, I just want to pass on my experiences so far:
1. Please get rid of the Castle Rock tires ASAP! As we know they are made in China, and pardon my French they are a POS!! I had my two month old Goodyear Endurance tires transferred from my old unit to the new one.
2. The bed slide motor has not worked correctly from day one. I have calibrated it several times per manufactures instructions. I have now given up and it stays fully extended. Also, I found out he hard way do not sit on foot of bed. The very minimal plywood used in construction broke. Now I must replace with 3/4 plywood, and why I have the bed apart I will tackle the motor AGAIN.
3. Both thermostats are incredibly sensitive to the touch. Good luck trying to set a temp. or any other function. Usually, it takes several attempts just to turn it "on". Selecting an "operating mode" is yet another challenge. Setting temp. is a "crap shoot", usually you get no increase/decrease or a 10-15 jump in a split second. Once again this happens on both thermostats (Mfg Part #: 3316230.014)
4. I wish there was a way to dim the two light switches in the bedroom. It's similar to a car approaching with the high beans on, just lasts all night. I taped a piece of paper over the switches as a temporary fix. Working on a more permanent solution.
5. The trim or "lack of it" on the top edge of the right slide. As you come down the stairs you will see what I'm talking about. Seems Forest River could not spare a few extra feet of trim to hide the ugliness of the chains and cables that extend/retract the slide. Another wood working project for me to correct a manufactures flaw.
6. The metal grate on the front wall that's suppose to hide the heating ducting which I affectionately call the "octopus". Try sitting on the recliners or couch and not staring at the "octopus" I dare you. In the future I will be installing a wooden louvered vent over the metal, so long "octopus".
7. The LP gas connection is installed at the rear of the unit. I'm a little confused at this since the awning is located toward the front. Apparently Forest River deems that I should always BBQ in the rain or have the sun beating down on me.

Now, I'ts not all gloom and doom. The Arctic Wolf has a great layout and many features that I love such as the self leveling system, full size refrigerator, ample storage, angled entertainment center, and more.

I'd like to hear from other Arctic Wolf owners and compare notes. Perhaps even Forest River could enlighten me on their manufacturing process.

Good luck and Happy Camping!!
Brat Terrier RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

Artic Wolf 28.5

We have the same model. No problems to share. We have blundered through several things due to a lack of RV knowledge and/or written instructions. I can relate to your thermostat issues. My fingers don't seem to function well on the settings. Still learning, but love it!
Doc13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee