Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

40D12 Lippert Frame Screw-Up

This is not a major structural issue. But without a doubt, a safety issue. I will be emailing Forest River Warranty Dept. tomorrow with these pictures and an estimate of a new GoodYear G614.

I have noticed in the past a terrible grinding noise coming from the suspension when I go over a dip at slow speeds. My driveway dips at the road and its always been terrible. The way it sounded, my guess was something inside one of the drums was grinding but I could never find any issues. All six wheels seemed fine and every time we would arrive at our destinations, all temperatures were even and acceptable.

Today we left the lake with friends. So I had guys on both sides of the camper to see if they could determine if it was one or more wheels. I wanted to pinpoint which wheel so I could dig deeper to find out what the heck this was? The terrain was uneven so I knew it would do it. Sure enough, the guy near the back right wheel waved for me to stop. Since he was right there, he could immediately tell what it was.

I had been looking into the wheel since it was such a bad grinding sound. But I was missing the forest for the trees! Look at this support brace on the frame. All the other ones are welded in between the tires but this one is welded right above the wheel! Come on man! What are we thinking here? Every time I go over a dip, I'm just grinding this poor tire against this brace.

For those who have a 40D12 or any other similar models, please check to see if this is the case for yours. As you can see by the chunks of tire missing, it was just a matter of time before my tire was going to be cut through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07120.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	146566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07123.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	146567   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07124.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	146568  
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

Similar Sound

My 40D12 makes a similar sound when easing through dips or speed bumps.....Ill have to check out the inside of my tires when I get off this trip.
runandgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #3

is there a fix from the factory?
kmoneagle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #4

I'm still waiting to hear from Forest River. My claim has been sent to the warranty department.

We just returned from the beach. Reservations we made last year and I wasn't going to cancel. I knew that meant either running like it was or going ahead and taking care of it. I got a new cutting disk for my angle grinder and went to work. I basically cut into that bracket.

It used to be a triangle shape. Now its an "L" shape. But the tire clearance is fine.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:04 AM   #5

We have the same model, and have heard that same scraping sound when going out of driveways. I will check it out in the morning, getting ready to make some hunting trips. Thank you KFX450RXC
Ricks Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #6

You're welcome. I'm still waiting to hear from FR. Sounds like a big goof somebody made at the factory.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Definite design flaw. Surprised that it hasn't come up before now.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Well I spent four hours on the phone last week with FR and Lippert. It will definitely take some time before anything is going to happen,because Lippert builds the frame to FR's spec's. So the engineering at FR need to remodel that right side outrigger brace. I am going to trim mine back so the tire has clearance like KFX450RXC did. I am sure that there is still plenty of support left in the brace for the location it is located.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #9

I just emailed Vicky at FR. She's the one handling my warranty claim and today makes four weeks since I emailed you. I'll reply here the response I get.

We did almost 400 miles two weeks ago with my brace cut and no problems as far as I can tell. Thanks Ricks for keeping us posted.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #10

I forgot to say that my tire and brace looks exactly like your pictures.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
DDC

You should be reporting this to the https://www.nhtsa.gov this a major flaw and could potentially cause death or injury to not just you but other on the highway.
You really have to scratch your head at some of these flaws.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
You should be reporting this to the https://www.nhtsa.gov this a major flaw and could potentially cause death or injury to not just you but other on the highway.
You really have to scratch your head at some of these flaws.
I emailed the FR warranty dept. about my claim and its status. This was about a week ago and I have heard nothing.

I will be emailing them again this evening and I had already been thinking about reporting this to the NHTSA. Maybe I will have to mention that.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #13

I have indeed filed a report with the NHTSA. They have already called me to get more information.

Three weeks ago, I was told by FR that my claim was still with the warranty dept.. We're almost at two months now. How sad.

Has anyone else discovered this issue on their Vengeance? Not sure if this is just a 40D12 problem or something more widespread.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #14

Call the rep. I had to call a few times for my unrelated issues. Once I had her on the phone she was great.

Tags
frame