Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnviking59 View Post
First of all I want to thank everyone for there input.
The air does go on. I’m heating right now by other means which will get us by until we pack up and go. I’m thinking of pulling the furnace and bringing it down with me. Doesn’t look easy to get to but I’ll try. No one up here will work on an RV unless you bring it to a dealer. All mobile service people are shut down for the winter.
Before you go through the trouble of taking the furnace out, as mentioned above, I would try putting a known good battery in the RV and see if that resolves your issue... You could even take the one our of your car temporarily just to try it... Besides, if the furnace does bench test OK your issue could be in the RV somewhere and you've gone through all that work for nothing...

Good luck viking!!
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnviking59 View Post
First of all I want to thank everyone for there input.
The air does go on. I’m heating right now by other means which will get us by until we pack up and go. I’m thinking of pulling the furnace and bringing it down with me. Doesn’t look easy to get to but I’ll try. No one up here will work on an RV unless you bring it to a dealer. All mobile service people are shut down for the winter.
Pulling the furnace and bringing it with you? This is going a little extreme. imo.
The 'air' (fan)will always 'come on' for a short period of time before the burners ignite and the fan will stay on a minute or two after the burners go off to 'cool down' the furnace area. The fan uses very low (12v) voltage, but it is the burners that you will need a higher voltage surge. If you are 'heading South', you may not even need your furnace, just use a ceramic space heater. this should be an easy 'fix', so do not go to an extreme right off the bat.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #23

A cheap check.... pull the 12V DC fuse for a minute. You have to remove 12V to reset some furnaces.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Have your camper RV battery load tested. One winter my furnace would not come on even though we were in a full hookup. All 12v systems will work in a RV with just the convertor, Except the furnace. There is a large load demand at start up and the convertor can not meet this demand. My battery had a dead/shorted cell. Replaced battery and all was fine.
Converters almost always are able to meet the load of a starting furnace. Most furnaces draw less than 10 amps ( my furnace draws 5-6 amp according to my Victron battery monitor) and I've rarely seen or heard of a converter's smaller than 40 amp. Unless you have a WFCO 8700 series that goes down as low as 12 amp a good converter should be able to run a furnace, maybe even more than one.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #25

I had a similar problem last year in January. Spent a night in Kentucky with temps in the 10-20 range. Everything worked. Drove over to Missouri. Pull into the park there and no furnace. Temps going to -5. Tried a LOT of stuff with no results. Next morning decided to head further south hoping for slightly warmer weather. Set up at the next campground and as I walked by the furnace after connecting to shore power, I heard the furnace running!

After that it worked perfectly for the rest of our trip including back up home in early February...

Dealer took a look and also found nothing. My guess, something in the furnace had some moisture build up while in Kentucky. During the drive to Missouri, it froze. On the drive from Missouri into Arkansas, it got jostled and freed up.

Good luck...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace