Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

Vengeance 40D12

Here we are on the way home today. Heading to Ocean Lakes next weekend. Can't wait to get it all sprawled out at the campground and post more pics.

By the way. It pulled like a champ. Stopped in Emporia, Va. at the CAT scales. 25,000 lbs. exactly. 73-75 mph and the truck was only turning around 1750 rpm's. Gonna be a great year.

KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #2

Congratulations!! That's a good lookin set up you got there. One of the first thing I noticed was 3 air conditioning units.
LB TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

Thanks. I think just about all the Touring Edition models have three ACs now. Just trying to keep that lovely southern humidity in check this summer.

3 ACs and 4 TVs. We're really roughing it and getting back to nature.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

We live in Tennessee so I know all about that humidity lol. I am looking forward to running our 2 units in the summer, our old Toyhauler only had one in the living room. That side party deck is cool & will definitely be a conversation starter in the camp grounds.
LB TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

Took the new Vengeance down to Ocean Lakes for a weekend test run. As far as I can tell, everything works perfectly except the bedroom AC. I "think" it has a leak and will most likely need to be replaced. Other than that, everything went great.

If anyone out there is on the fence about getting a side patio model, the wife and I say "do it" without hesitation. I wanted it but she was concerned the sacrifice of living room space wouldn't be worth it. By Saturday morning, she was saying how happy she was we got the side patio. We spent so much time on that thing. Ocean Lakes has dunes between the campground and the beach. But even though we were on the second row, we could see the ocean from the patio. You can't see it from the ground. With the awning out, it was very relaxing.

I'd get this camper again in a heartbeat. If the quality holds on as good as our other FR campers have in the past, we will be very happy campers.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Old 04-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #7

I love most everything on this model, but was wondering how you like the kitchen? I haven't seen one in person and we have been leaning toward the xlr 420, but I really love the bathroom in this one and also the setup of the side patio. I think I like the kitchen better in the 420. Not to be negative about yours at all. I love it! I was just wandering your perspective since you have actually walked inside as I have only had virtual tours.
Colson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #8

No offense taken at all. No camper is perfect. Looking at the floorplan, I can see how the kitchen in the 420 would be better in some aspects.

My wife's biggest concern was the lack of kitchen space. But she loves the patio so much, the loss of kitchen space was more than worth it for her now.

Here are a few things I've noticed which will point out some differences. Both are awesome campers and either way would be a great choice.

1. The living room leaves almost no real room for a table. Yes, it will fit but it would be tight. You can always eat in the garage or out on the patio.

2. I liked the patio on the Vengeance better than any side patio model out there. It is slightly bigger than the XLR 420's and the Fuzion 420's. It has the TV, stereo speakers, and the fireplace. The TV stays there all the time. I'm not sure if the XLR's TV will stay there with the side patio up. Every picture I see of it, the TV is not mounted. Mine was mounted from the factory and stays there. If I had to mount the TV every time we went camping, that would stink.

3. The XLR garage is slightly larger. The Vengeance garage is 12' but the second bathroom takes up part of that space on the right side. That's why the side patio is larger.

4. The XLR pin weight is much lighter. Unloaded, my pin is around 3300 lbs. But with the golf cart in the back and the gas tank back there full, it takes off a good 400 lbs..

5 The fireplace. The electric fireplace on the side patio is pretty but not a useful idea. It just doesn't blow out enough to warm the area around you. I'd rather it be in the camper. Under the television would be great but nothing's perfect.

6. Pantry space is limited but all campers are. As I said, my wife was really wanting a lot of pantry space but on this camper purchase, she had left the choice up to me. That first trip to Ocean Lakes last month and seeing how much time she spent on the patio chillin' out, she says the trade-off was more than worth it. I can't imagine us going back to a camper without a side patio. We like it that much.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #9

We also just purchased a 2017 40D12 and love the patios, They extend the living space outside very well.
runandgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #10

Awesome. We've done five trips so far and we're headed to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach next month. The Vengeance has been flawless through almost 1200 miles.

Taking it again to Disneyworld in December. That patio gets a LOT of use on our trips.

Bets of luck and safe travels.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #11

A well know member on this forum told me that he has toured several FR factories and noticed that it takes four times as long as any other brand to build the Vengeance models. That's probably why they seem to have a lot less problems than comparable brands. Only problem I've seen is they are usually much heavier than the others.

For those of y'all with the fiver models do they all have the beaver tail at the garage exit? Sure makes it a lot easier to load, and you don't have to extend the ramp door to prevent dragging the bottom of a motorcycle when loading. I also found extra storage available behind some of those panels labeled "no storage".
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
....For those of y'all with the fiver models do they all have the beaver tail at the garage exit? Sure makes it a lot easier to load, and you don't have to extend the ramp door to prevent dragging the bottom of a motorcycle when loading. I also found extra storage available behind some of those panels labeled "no storage".
Mine has the beaver tail. No storage compartment underneath through the floor though.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #13

I'm looking at a 2017 Vengeance 39R13 TE, the 40D12 has lots in common, I was wondering how the mattress is on the bed of yours, my last RV the mattress was good for 5-10 mins and then it would be flat as a pancake.
RVDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
A well know member on this forum told me that he has toured several FR factories and noticed that it takes four times as long as any other brand to build the Vengeance models. That's probably why they seem to have a lot less problems than comparable brands. Only problem I've seen is they are usually much heavier than the others.

For those of y'all with the fiver models do they all have the beaver tail at the garage exit? Sure makes it a lot easier to load, and you don't have to extend the ramp door to prevent dragging the bottom of a motorcycle when loading. I also found extra storage available behind some of those panels labeled "no storage".
Just as info the V-Lites are built better than most campers. They have at least 3rd generation of folks building and take pride. I would buy over any other FR tt product. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDon View Post
I'm looking at a 2017 Vengeance 39R13 TE, the 40D12 has lots in common, I was wondering how the mattress is on the bed of yours, my last RV the mattress was good for 5-10 mins and then it would be flat as a pancake.
Our mattress is weird for us. When you first lay down, its amazing how good it feels. Its very soft and I like that. Its rather easy to slip off into a slight coma shortly after going to bed.

But then when we wake up the next day, backaches. The wife has them almost every time but I have grown accustomed to it enough. If I wake up on my back or side, I'm OK. If I turn over on my stomach, my back hurts enough, it wakes me up. I guess the mattress is too soft.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #16

Our bed at home is like that because its a soft top.
If you don't mind I have a couple more questions.
-Did you get the roof ladder if so does it collapse against the wall or do you have to take it off during transportation so it doesn't stick out. We have to order our 39R13 not to many out there and were debating on getting ladder or buying one from Harbor freight and just throw it in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
Our mattress is weird for us. When you first lay down, its amazing how good it feels. Its very soft and I like that. Its rather easy to slip off into a slight coma shortly after going to bed.

But then when we wake up the next day, backaches. The wife has them almost every time but I have grown accustomed to it enough. If I wake up on my back or side, I'm OK. If I turn over on my stomach, my back hurts enough, it wakes me up. I guess the mattress is too soft.
RVDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDon View Post
Our bed at home is like that because its a soft top.
If you don't mind I have a couple more questions.
-Did you get the roof ladder if so does it collapse against the wall or do you have to take it off during transportation so it doesn't stick out. We have to order our 39R13 not to many out there and were debating on getting ladder or buying one from Harbor freight and just throw it in the back.
Mine came with the roof ladder. Its the typical roof ladder that mounts to the side. It doesn't really collapse. It probably sticks out 6"-8" I guess. I actually pulled mine off and left it in our barn. I ripped mine off my old Cyclone one time so ever since then, I like to have one but I only mount it when I know I'll need it.

We're going to Disneyworld in December for 9 days. I'll probably mount it for that trip because its an extended amount of time. But for short trips like weekends, it stays at home.

Where are you located?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:

Mine has the beaver tail and no floor storage. Basically no storage was built into the garage of mine. I am trying to add some over head cabinets though. There are places in the kitchen and bathroom to remove panels that say "no storage" to make room for storage. Basically just tie up the wires that are usually there or move the panel around to make room. When I had my Grey Wolf 21RR I had all kind of little mods for more storage.

The bed in ours needs to be replaced as well. It's soft which seems nice until I wake up the next morning and my back is killing me.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #19

There's a panel behind the toilet that when opened (2 screws) you'll find a completely finished area I use for bottled water storage. Replaced the screws with knobs and use Velcro to hold the panel in place.

I don't have the drop down bed in the garage area so I put two kitchen cabinets (about $50 each from Lowes). Thinking about two more on the other side but for now I have plenty of storage.

There's also space under the sink cabinet where the water pump is mounted.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #20

New to the forum but it's awesome to hear of other's experience with the 40D12. We love ours and use the patio all the time. At first, losing the extra living room space was a challenge especially when someone is reclined on the couch and I'm trying to walk through. I either had to step over the person (which isn't easy cause I'm short) or they had to unrecline to let me through. I got used to it after I fell in love with the patio. The only concern I have with the patio is we have to close up the patio to secure the tv if we leave camp.

We also use ours as a bar/outdoor eating area for our family of four. We only open the screen side walls half way so the front is open. We use adjustable bar stools, sit back, relax, watch the game, race etc.

Thanks for sharing your 40D12 experience ��
KANDL25 is offline   Reply With Quote