Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #21

Equalizer has had a long standing positive reputation. My only observation has been that any I've seen in operation have been very noisy .... metal on metal screeching on turns.

I recently learned of Blue Ox and did some research. The system seems very easy to install and the sway method looks to be very good.

I've used Reese Dual Cam for 11 years and have been totally satisfied. It is a little more difficult to install, but does an excellent job.

Our new trailer, which we just got today, is significantly heavier and I upgraded to a 1200 lb. Reese Dual Cam hitch. I'm confident the trailer will tow very well.

Had the Reese hitch not been available, I would have opted for the Blue Ox.

Just my 2cents.
john a v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #22

Equalizer is a good hitch but maxes out at 1400lbs TW and the OP trailer is 2k lbs TW possibly.

From what I have seen there are only a few WDH that will go to 2k and Blueox is one of them. If there is a 2k equalizer they don't list one on their site.

That should work for you. You won't remove it 100% most likely but it will be much better.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #23
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I had a 2015 F250 that even had the camper package which added the helper springs. Equalizer 4 point hitch and a heavy tongue weight- around 1200 lbs.- resulted in enough rear squat to shift my headlights up just enough that people were constantly flashing me thinking I had my brights on when towing at night. And, yes, I know how to setup my hitch and it was properly adjusted. Air bags at 25 PSI solved the problem and resulted in a better ride. The problem with the factory helper springs, in my experience, is that you often sit with them just off of the frame brackets and when you hit bumps they engage and cause a jarring ride. So, in my experience and having used them on my last 3 vehicles, air bags are very beneficial.
2012 F-250 diesel and I run both. Obviously you need a WDH with sway control, but I too would see a little bit of squat in the rear after a leveling kit, and wanted just enough to bring it back and not have people flashing me. I have bags too. I also use the bags when I happen to have a heavy haul in the bed (periodically) and dont want to look slammed. I've gotten a yard of gravel and the bags did the job.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
As the popular opinion seems to be here, get the WD hitch and move on. The Equalizer is a great choice and I am also in agreement that if properly set-up, air bags are a waste of money for a TT.
Actually, the popular opinion is that the WDH is a must but the air bags are still beneficial. Seems that around 6 people have said they have bags and recommend them and around 4 that don't have bags (and therefore wouldn't be able to make a valid comparison) said they are a waste of money. I went back through the responses and I don't see anyone that has said they bought the bags and found them to NOT be beneficial.

Edit: Now looks like 7- didn't see AMG's response before posting this.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #25
Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
You will be wasting your money on airbags with the truck/trailer combo you have.

Get a WD and sway hitch setup and learn how to hitch it up correctly and all of your problems will be solved!
X3
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #26
Was

Quote:
Actually, the popular opinion is that the WDH is a must but the air bags are still beneficial. Seems that around 6 people have said they have bags and recommend them and around 4 that don't have bags (and therefore wouldn't be able to make a valid comparison) said they are a waste of money. I went back through the responses and I don't see anyone that has said they bought the bags and found them to NOT be beneficial.

Edit: Now looks like 7- didn't see AMG's response before posting this.
I do have airbags and they did absolutly nothing to help with sway. They did improve ride and handling. I like them and recommend them, but not to control sway.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #27
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I had the DrawTite WD setup for 20 years.

No need for air bags with them.

Again...it was all about knowing how to hitch it up each and every time you wanted to tow.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was View Post
I do have airbags and they did absolutly nothing to help with sway. They did improve ride and handling. I like them and recommend them, but not to control sway.
The OP did ask about sway. I don't think the bags help with sway either, or at least very little, and never said they did.....just said that they improve overall ride and handling when towing. So, I think they are beneficial, just not so much for sway control.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I had the DrawTite WD setup for 20 years.

No need for air bags with them.

Again...it was all about knowing how to hitch it up each and every time you wanted to tow.

I know how to setup a WDH and still found the bags to be beneficial. You've never had them, so you're really not able to comment on them. But your continued implication that none of us would need bags if we knew how to setup a hitch is getting old. No one here has ever said someone NEEDS bags- we've been saying they add stability and solve issues such as restoring rake to keep headlight angle closer to factory settings. My new Rancho RS9000XL shocks weren't a NEED either, but they sure make the ride better when towing.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #30

Quote:
I know how to setup a WDH and still found the bags to be beneficial. You've never had them, so you're really not able to comment on them. But your continued implication that none of us would need bags if we knew how to setup a hitch is getting old. No one here has ever said someone NEEDS bags- we've been saying they add stability and solve issues such as restoring rake to keep headlight angle closer to factory settings. My new Rancho RS9000XL shocks weren't a NEED either, but they sure make the ride better when towing.
Pretty funny stuff...

Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #31
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Here's a link to video that will explain and show the effects of the two products.

https://youtu.be/XBZu39pQ8Gg
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #32
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Here's a link to video that will explain and show the effects of the two products.

https://youtu.be/XBZu39pQ8Gg
I've seen that video before. Good idea to post it. The one thing not covered is using both bags and WDH at the same time, but in the comments it is addressed:

Thomas H
10 months ago
Why not use both - airbags AND weight distribution hitch which is exactly what I use.

FastwayTrailer
10 months ago (edited)
Thomas H,
Both working together is a great setup.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #33

WDH or Air Bags

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've decided to get the wdh. What size should I get? Normally I load my off road bike (260#) on the trailer and about 100# in the pass thru storage in front and probably another 300# of stuff inside. The weight of the trailer loaded may be close to 7000# and the tongue wt. may be around 1200 to 1300#, I guess!
zagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #34
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagain View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've decided to get the wdh. What size should I get? Normally I load my off road bike (260#) on the trailer and about 100# in the pass thru storage in front and probably another 300# of stuff inside. The weight of the trailer loaded may be close to 7000# and the tongue wt. may be around 1200 to 1300#, I guess!
You are guessing, so you have to guess on what to get. The right way (and I didnt do this) that people say online is to find a scale close by, load your TV and trailer up with how you expect it to be normally towed and then go get weighed. Then get the hitch, set it up properly, and re-weigh. Probably something like the equalizer 1400 bar setup, but just guessing.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #35

WDH or Air bags

Will it hurt to get too stiff of a hitch, like to install a 1400 TW when I only need a 1200 TW?
zagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagain View Post
Will it hurt to get too stiff of a hitch, like to install a 1400 TW when I only need a 1200 TW?
No. I have an Equalizer 14K that I tow a TT just shy of 10K with and another that is just over 5K and it works great with both. Actually replaced the wheels and tires on the smaller rig to get the trailer to the correct coupler height so that both rigs sit level and without hitch readjustment. Now, it's possible that others that have never done it will tell you different......
Old 04-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #37
AMG

I would think that its highly likely whatever you are estimating on weight, it is truly... more. the bars from 12k to 14k are thicker. i'd think if you were 12-14k there's gotta be some variance in there that can be accomplished with how much you crank them down. You could ask them though. It's a lot easier to know exactly what you should buy if you have the specs for both TV and trailer, and then your CAT scale report.

If I was you and didn't have/want to get the weight, I'd get the 14k
Old 04-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #38

Quote:
No.

Now, it's possible that others that have never done it will tell you different......
It must really suck to be the only person here that knows everything about everything...huh?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #39

Here's an interesting Video about this issue.

john a v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #40

Here's my thoughts on using air bags with a WD hitch.

When air bags are used to level a load, it really doesn't help with weight distribution. The weights are still almost the same as if without inflating the bags. No outside force is being used to lift the trailer connection; only an inside force being used to lift the truck. So your tongue weight on the hitch and the rear axle weight will remain almost the same.

When a WD hitch is used, picture a forklift being used at the ball connection. That's what the bars are doing. They are trying their best to stay straight; therefore they lift on both the hitch and the trailer tongue. This force comes from the hitch connection and not from either the truck or the trailer. Again, its as if a forklift is helping pick up the connection so now the truck thinks the weight of the trailer tongue is lighter than it really is. Weight is lifted off the rear axle and since the front axle comes back down, front weight is increased back toward its original number.

So let's say you have your set-up with WD but it still sags in the back and the front height is still too high. What do you do? Do you increase the tension on the WD bars which is basically making that forklift pick up even stronger? Or do you increase pressure in your air bags, thus bringing the rear end of the truck higher? If you inflate the bags, the hitch connection rises. But the forklift is not moved. So every millimeter you raise that truck and hitch connection, the assistance from the forklift is reduced. You're leaving the forklift so even though you're increasing the rear height, your rear axle and your truck's hitch are now having the load put right back down on them. In essence, you're taking the WD out of the picture. If you raise the truck height so much that you eliminate the pressure on the WD bars, its the same as if you lifted the truck so high, the forklift is no longer touching the hitch connection.

Long story short, if your WD hitch set-up is not working correctly, you either have it set-up incorrectly or they aren't strong enough.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbags