Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #21
Grammar Pedant

2-3 showers without a problem. I'm using stock shower head and the on/off switch while soaping up. Not really a problem at all. One person could take a nice, relaxing shower. When you go to 2-3 people, then you have to be quick.

I'll also click on both LP and electric heaters when multiple showers are planned. And, it takes about 5-10 minutes for the person to dry off and get out of the bathroom. So, there's decent recovery time built in.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #22

Just to note, I’ve timed recovery of water heater. Mine is 12 to 15 minutes. That said allow DW to shower then wait 12 minutes. Now you can navy shower all nite long. With whatever method works for you. I choose to on and off water flow via valve. Get clean and rinse. Then I can use what’s left to finish things out.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #23

We have no problem with the 6 gal. on propane with the original issue shower head. I can have a good shower without having to do the navy thing (I do it anyway), as can wife (who doesn't).

We don't do the long soak thing at home, so we're ok. I never remember to turn on the electric to help recovery- I'd just forget to shut it off anyhoo.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #24

remember, with both a Propane AND Electric element, you are having water heated WHILE you are showering....it's not just a '6 gallons and that's it' proposition... you are simply using 'some' of the hot water AS you shower, not all at once.

Propane is for the 'quick recovery', while the Electric is more economical for 'maintaining' the temperature...

We have a 10gal DSI, and can easily take 3 or more lengthy showers with no issues - don't worry about it! No 'navy' showers required.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #25

We try to use more more than gallon of water in the RV shower. Get wet, water off. Lather up, wayer on, rinse, water off.
pawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #26

I think most of us already know 'how' to take a shower... : /
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Actually, the answer is yes!

There are workarounds...

First off, dump the stock shower head and get the Oxygenics Fury RV shower head (don't get the one at Home Depot or Lowes - they are not RV heads).

These shower heads create more water pressure from the head so that you don't have to turn the water up all of the way.

I have a 6-gallon water heater in my 5'ver and I can get a 20 minute shower out of that with hot water to spare when I have both electric and gas turned on at the same time.

Now I don't take 20 minute showers...but I can if I want to and did it once just to see how long the hot water would last!

And again, I barely have to crack both the cold and hot water faucets to get a comfortable water flow for a shower.
Was that while you were still in Denver, or in Yuma? I'd think there was a significant difference in ground water temp between the two. I know when I'm down south for any reason, the 'cold' water from a faucet seems more like 'not hot' water compared to the nice chilly temperatures I'm used to from the north.

Up here, I can't get 20 minutes out of my 6 gal even with the propane on. Navy shower on the other hand, sure, I can have plenty of water. With the navy shower, we always have plenty for at least 3 out of 4 of us to shower. Unfortunately, I usually end up as person #4.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #28
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Was that while you were still in Denver, or in Yuma? I'd think there was a significant difference in ground water temp between the two. [...]
Denver is really hot, just so you know. We're about 6 degrees different from Yuma, AZ right now. I was just outside working on my trailer at 7 PM and 89 degrees on Sunday.

Eventually, Denver will cool off ... and it won't peak as high at Yuma in the middle of the summer. But, it's damn hot out here!

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #29
CJ2

Cheat your system. Before the shower, turn on the hot and get all the pipes warmed up. Wait a few minutes for the propane to heat the gallon that you just mixed into the tank and go. I don't run out on 6 gallons and both propane and electric turned on.
CJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #30

The DW and I can take showers one then the other with no problem on one 6 gallon water heater. We use the gas side only.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #31
CJ2

If you're going first, you're not doing it right. If together, I want that shower in my trailer.
CJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #32

After reading all of the hoopla regarding oxygenic showerheads, I have to say I'm NOT impressed with mine.

I think my camco https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...61&athena=true shower head works better for me.

I can take a shower with 1 minute of total water flow time when dry camping and when in campground 5 minute showers are luxurious.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceX2 View Post
After reading all of the hoopla regarding oxygenic showerheads, I have to say I'm NOT impressed with mine.

I think my camco https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...61&athena=true shower head works better for me.

I can take a shower with 1 minute of total water flow time when dry camping and when in campground 5 minute showers are luxurious.
I have that Camco one too and I think it's quite nice. However, I have not tried the Oxygenics.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #34

I'll sell you my Oxygenics. It is fairly new with only a total of 15 minutes of use on it.

I just don't understand why so many are enamored by it. I don't feel it is anything special.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #35
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
I'll sell you my Oxygenics. It is fairly new with only a total of 15 minutes of use on it.

I just don't understand why so many are enamored by it. I don't feel it is anything special.
Did you get the RV model from an RV store?

Or from Home Depot or Lowe's...

They are different...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #36

Use gas AND electric when showering. I do not use the shut off on the wand because it mixes the hot and cold thru the shower valve. I have a single handle valve and I simply turn the water off with the valve handle. That works best. The DW can take a shower and shave her legs without running out of hot water. I have no issue either. Remember 6 gallons of hot water mixed will give you probably about 10 gallons of shower temperature water.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #37

Quote:

Well, I guess there's at least 2 of us that don't prefer the oxygenics. Bought one and didn't like the flow, neither did the wife. I guess we both prefer a gentler stream of water. Also, I measured the usage and my stock unit uses half the water.

Never do the navy shower. Never had a problem or run out of hot water.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #38

The reason 6 gallons of hot water can last so long is the water in the tank is heated to 180 degrees and gets mixed with cold water to bring it down to around 120 degrees, making a lot more than 6 gallons of hot water
Glen62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #39

For a shower, unless you want to burn your skin off, you are normally using about 50% hot and 50% cold water, so your 6 gals. of hot water will give you a 12 gallon shower, which should easily last through a 10 minute shower. "Quick recovery" hot water tanks take about 25-30 minutes to recharge to full temp if you use up all the hot water.

I have a 12 Gallon water heater and it lasts through two back to back showers without a problem.
bill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:02 AM   #40

6 gallon hot water

If you use the on/off button on the shower head, you will have more than enough hot water to take a nice shower. I agree with the other post about the Oxygenics Fury RV shower head , this supplies much more water pressure than some campgrounds supply with the traditional shower head that most trailers come with. First you get wet, shut it off and wash up and then rinse, you have plenty of hot water left for hair and rinsing off...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, show, shower, water, water heater