Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
full timing now, would like to handle mail differently than i have been (brother has been forwarding)

Are there mail services that give me an actual street address that will take care of sending mail to me every couple of weeks?
Get a PMB, private mail box (you will.have a legal street address) in whatever state you want to declare as your residence. If you want to keep the state you now have don't make our mistake and register in s country that requires emission checks. That can be a real timing hassle for full timers.

I also recommend you make all your bills email only. Except for Christmas and birthday we cut our USPS mail to the point we needed to have the PMB forward our mail to wherever we were once a month
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
Get a PMB, private mail box (you will.have a legal street address) in whatever state you want to declare as your residence. If you want to keep the state you now have don't make our mistake and register in s country that requires emission checks. That can be a real timing hassle for full timers.

I also recommend you make all your bills email only. Except for Christmas and birthday we cut our USPS mail to the point we needed to have the PMB forward our mail to wherever we were once a month

What is considered a "s" country ??
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #23

What is considered a "s" country?
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #24

X2 bamabob's comment-use the power of the internet-ban paper
Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddie66 View Post
What is considered a "s" country ??
Should just read "county"
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #26

we used mydakotaaddress in Madison SD. they handled mail and packages for us and they also registered our truck and trailer in SD at much less cost. we were full timing at the time as we had sold our existing house.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #27

Check out this link for SD. I will probably be doing this as CT is a high tax state. According to our accountant, we will be saving 12,000 - 13,000 a year by not living in CT

Setting Up South Dakota Residency for RVers (Pt. 1) | Interstellar Orchard
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #28

I'm a recent full-timer, and chose Dakota post. FMCA recommends them, and you get a little bit of a break if you're an FMCA member. So far, I love them. For $19 a month I get virtual mail, which means they notify me by scanning the envelope anytime I get mail. Then I can choose to either have them send it to me with my next batch of mail, scan and email it, or shred it. I think my mail will go down over the next few months, but I'm still in the process of changing addresses, moving things to electronic delivery, and just getting rid of stuff. At that point, I think I can get rid of virtual mail, and just have them send it to me wherever I am.
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #29

I want to travel this winter from Jan to Apr. we are going to start in Fl. and then just move across southern border to AZ. or Ca. Don't know how long we will be in any one place. What would be best for us? We will return home sometime in Apr. if it all works out.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #30
Curiouser and Curiouser

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #31

to camper70: best would be to have somebody (family or someone you trust) homesit while you are gone and forward mail to you. you wouldn't have to change any addresses or do mail forwarding.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #32

Think of when you need to renew your drivers license. Mine is Jan.--- I'm not driving to sd. In the snow to renew it.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmi View Post
Think of when you need to renew your drivers license. Mine is Jan.--- I'm not driving to sd. In the snow to renew it.
Which is precisely why we use St Brendan's Isle - plus a FL domicile means you can renew your tags in the mail and the license is good for 10 years
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Got my Drivers License in South Dakota a couple months ago. You can renew your license online or via mail in 5 years.

At the 10 year mark you can renew up to 180 days PRIOR to the expiration date. I don't worry about 10 years from now....

https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing/...formation/faqs

I use MyDakotaAddress in Madison and they've been very accommodating.
You can get your DL in any location within the state....I went to Hot Springs near Custer. You can find a list of towns with a DMV and check what days/hours they are open.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #35

When you get old , they want you to come in to check your eyes, then what?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #36

Quote:
I don't remember the exact terminology, but you are asked to visit an eye doctor and get a test done, then you (or the DR. don't remember which) send it to them with your renewal information.

Snoop around in their FAQ and you'll probably find it. I had all these same questions and was able to rat things out on the SD pages. They really do like RVers....!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #37

Quote:
We researched this before we went fulltime. Basically, there are two ways you can handle this.

If you just need glasses & glaucoma tests, any national optician can do this (Target, Lenscrafters, Costco or Sam's)

If you need a visit to a Ophthalmologist for a ocular medical condition, just plan to be in town for your scheduled appointment.

The same goes for any other medical/dental visits.

If you have a medical issue on the road, most needs can be met with a doc-in-the-box. Some medical plans (ours included even have a telemedicine contact. We can Facetime with a nurse practitioner for routine medical issues.

The only medical issue that poses a challenge is if you are on Schedule II Drugs (pain killers, narcotics & so forth). Fortunately this does not apply to us, but we have talked to others for whom this does apply. They have to closely coordinate with their physician and set up special case scenarios in the event they are going to be away from their physician for periods of time that exceed their prescription amount.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #38

Cool

Great info in this thread and just another thing that I had never considered!
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Got my Drivers License in South Dakota a couple months ago. You can renew your license online or via mail in 5 years.

At the 10 year mark you can renew up to 180 days PRIOR to the expiration date. I don't worry about 10 years from now....

https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing/...formation/faqs

I use MyDakotaAddress in Madison and they've been very accommodating.
You can get your DL in any location within the state....I went to Hot Springs near Custer. You can find a list of towns with a DMV and check what days/hours they are open.
I'd like to edit my post for clarity, but can't seem to do that....so....

When I'm in Arizona for the winter and need to have an eye test done to renew my license for South Dakota, they ask that you go into a local eye doctor in AZ for a vision test and send them the results. You do not have to make the trip to South Dakota.