Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Team

Building a deck for seasonal site

So my wife and I have been seasonal campers for a few years now but we just moved to a new CG last October. We are looking to add a deck to our site. We are a bit limited as to how wide it can be due to the way our trailer is designed but we can go OUT just about as far as we want.

We can go about 20 ft wide between the slide-out on the left and the door to the basement on the right. Here's a pic of our old site with a deck that was essentially Frankenstein'd together from 3 other decks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sabre2.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	161187

We also have a screen room that we'd like to build a section for on the front of the deck. Sadly, we no longer have the deck shown in this pic, although we did manage to salvage the decking boards.

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	161188

So, I found a website that will let you design a deck and view in in 3D. We kind of drew something out on paper and this is what we came up with.

Name:	deck1.png
Views:	371
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	161189

Obviously the railing wouldn't be there at the top, but I couldn't figure out how to take it out of the design. There should be enough clearance between the steps and the opening of the basement doors. The screen room would go on the section in the bottom right.

I also found this plan on the website as well and thought it looked pretty close to what we want albeit a little more "fancy".

Name:	deck2.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	161190

We'd have to tweek it a little bit to make it fit and also add the second set of steps.

The first design would be easier to build in sections should we ever need to move it for some reason. But we don't have to worry about flooding and we don't have plans to move the trailer anytime soon.

Thoughts, ideas comments?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

I'd go with the first one due to it being easier to build. One new couple at the campground were going to build a deck. He wanted a rectangle shape with stairs. She wanted fancy. Guess who won? It took him 4 weekends to build the thing even with a couple of us pitching in. Won't each of those 45 degree angles result in alot of scrap that you paid for? The other thing I like about the first one is that it's one level which doesn't seperate people/large groups on the deck. Good luck with your decision and happy building. I'm sure either will look great!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #3

Have to check with the campground as well - sure you know. Our friends had one at their site but had to be sectional for ease of removal etc.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I'd go with the first one due to it being easier to build. One new couple at the campground were going to build a deck. He wanted a rectangle shape with stairs. She wanted fancy. Guess who won? It took him 4 weekends to build the thing even with a couple of us pitching in.
I printed both and showed them to my wife last night. She said the something similair. I don't know if we are going to tackle this ourselves or pay to have it done but the first option would likely be the cheaper/easier/faster one.

Quote:
Won't each of those 45 degree angles result in alot of scrap that you paid for?
I'm not sure about that. I still have the decking shown in the second picture which is all already cut into a 6-sided shape. So if I just re-use that...

Quote:
The other thing I like about the first one is that it's one level which doesn't seperate people/large groups on the deck. Good luck with your decision and happy building. I'm sure either will look great!
We could probably play with the design a little and make it all one level. Although we've always had the screen room separate from the rest of the deck. So it probably wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Have to check with the campground as well - sure you know. Our friends had one at their site but had to be sectional for ease of removal etc.

Good luck.
I'll for sure double-check with the CG manager but considering the size of some of other decks around the CG, I don't think it will be a big deal. There are some people that have gigantic dual-level decks that are literally bigger than the trailer they are set in front of.

Next time I'm down there I'll have to remember to take some pictures of a few of them. They are really nice. We must have some pretty good carpenters camping there.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #6

County rules at our campground only allow 400 sqf new construction before you need to submit a plan and pull permits. So we build in sections each year.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
So my wife and I have been seasonal campers for a few years now but we just moved to a new CG last October. We are looking to add a deck to our site. We are a bit limited as to how wide it can be due to the way our trailer is designed but we can go OUT just about as far as we want.

We can go about 20 ft wide between the slide-out on the left and the door to the basement on the right. Here's a pic of our old site with a deck that was essentially Frankenstein'd together from 3 other decks.

Attachment 161187

We also have a screen room that we'd like to build a section for on the front of the deck. Sadly, we no longer have the deck shown in this pic, although we did manage to salvage the decking boards.

Attachment 161188

So, I found a website that will let you design a deck and view in in 3D. We kind of drew something out on paper and this is what we came up with.

Attachment 161189

Obviously the railing wouldn't be there at the top, but I couldn't figure out how to take it out of the design. There should be enough clearance between the steps and the opening of the basement doors. The screen room would go on the section in the bottom right.

I also found this plan on the website as well and thought it looked pretty close to what we want albeit a little more "fancy".

Attachment 161190

We'd have to tweek it a little bit to make it fit and also add the second set of steps.

The first design would be easier to build in sections should we ever need to move it for some reason. But we don't have to worry about flooding and we don't have plans to move the trailer anytime soon.

Thoughts, ideas comments?
Have you ever thought about lowering the deck a few inches so that it would be just lower than your front compartment door. That way you would have access to the compartment from the deck and you could extend your deck forward by 3 feet or so. That would however require that you build a shallow step at the trailer door.. Just a thought. And avoiding angles makes the building easier and much more economical.(As a further note.. check out the actual lengths of lumber that are available in your materials and use that data in your design. Good luck
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #8

Try to work within dimensional lumber and decking lengths for economy. The code in our area stipulates a deck height of 18" or less does not require a railing. The more elevations and the more angles other than 90 degrees will cost you in time, labor and materials. I have built some very fancy decks, but the last one was a simple rectangle and it suits us just fine.

The last deck we did has composite deck material and no screws through the decking. A clip at each joist fits into the grooved edges. It has a clean look and no moisture entering the decking. Treated dimensional lumber decking, cracks, splinters and deteriorates. I also used a rubber strip that comes in rolls to cover the tops of each joist to prevent rotting. The top of the joists is one of the first things to deteriorate. The contractor that assisted stated that he was going to start building all of his decks this way.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
Have you ever thought about lowering the deck a few inches so that it would be just lower than your front compartment door. That way you would have access to the compartment from the deck and you could extend your deck forward by 3 feet or so. That would however require that you build a shallow step at the trailer door.. Just a thought.
We have thought about it. The problem with doing that would be that every time I want to get into that compartment it would require getting down on my hands and knees.

The way the trailer is sitting now, the bottom of the door is about waist high, maybe a few inches lower, and I have a few patio blocks set on the ground in front of it to stand on. So it works out pretty well when I need to get into it.

We would also lose some deck space having to build steps up into the trailer. So I think we are good with the width being just before the compartment. We can always go out farther the other way towards the front of our site.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

Our deck is 16' X 8' wide on the ground.....Built it in 4 sections 4' X 8'.....sections are bolted together (just remove a couple of boards to access bolts.....Can be dis assembled and be moved...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #11

I just built a deck this past summer. If you are a professional carpenter or have the skills of one, go for the angles. If not hire it done. Remember this is not your property. If the camp is sold, new rules may apply. Also, you may decide to move. Will your deck be movable?? The split-level looks really nice. One level uses all the SQ feet. I built one level 8 x 16 (4-4 x 8 sections). I kept cuts to a minimum. When you start placing chairs and tables and refrigerators and plant stands.......You get the picture. There is a BIG price difference between #1 and #2 PT lumber. #1- 5/6 deck lumber is $$$$$. Use deck screws, not nails. Then you get to stain, paint or seal.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 PM   #12

Do you guys build your decks so you can pull your camper out without moving the deck? I'm thinking about building one but I want to still be able to pull the camper out for a trip once in a while.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 PM   #13

No problem at all. The deck is not attached to the trailer. You just have to be damn good at backing to get it close to the deck.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
No problem at all. The deck is not attached to the trailer. You just have to be damn good at backing to get it close to the deck.

Same here....we literally have less than a 2” clearance on the front corner of deck and a tree on the other side to get ours in/out of our seasonal site

Once in, we can back up well over halfway to get it lined up with the deck and snug up close to the edge of the deck - we have a sturdy set of wooden steps to use instead of those rickety foldup ones on the RV
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Same here....we literally have less than a 2” clearance on the front corner of deck and a tree on the other side to get ours in/out of our seasonal site

Once in, we can back up well over halfway to get it lined up with the deck and snug up close to the edge of the deck - we have a sturdy set of wooden steps to use instead of those rickety foldup ones on the RV
I built my deck steps in 2016. I built my deck in 2017
Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
Do you guys build your decks so you can pull your camper out without moving the deck? I'm thinking about building one but I want to still be able to pull the camper out for a trip once in a while.
You can do that if you have the room and depending on how your site is situated. We try to leave a couple of inches clearance between the deck and the trailer.

Some people simply build the deck in smaller sections so that it can be moved out of the way easily enough to get the trailer in/out.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #17

Some build their decks at home in 4' x 8' sections that require little cutting and can fit in the back of a pickup or utility trailer. Other hire deck building out to the campground owners, if they offer this service.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #18

We built ours at ground level. The rig was at dealer getting some warranty work done when pics where taken. We can take it in and out without having to worry about being and inch or so one way or the other. The deck is 4' from camper, this alows for the slide out to come out and not be in the way and still use the awning on the slide.

In pic 1 you see a set of steps that can b moved in and out so camper can come and go. The top step is 1 inch lower then the door.
Pic 2 is a wall that helped level the site. The fence is there as a wind break for the skirting. The 18 x 18 pads are 4 inches of concrete for the tires and leveling system.
Pic 3 and 4 are just the rest of deck. The entire deck was built in 4 sections.
Pic 5 shows the camper in place with the steps. I only had a pic that way with Christmas lights and skirting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170626_154137.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	161498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1500126474450.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	161499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1500126554626.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	161500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1500126594607.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	161501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171202_182030.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	161502  

2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #19
Site Team

Name:	20161001_100800.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	161547

We moved this deck 3 times from site to site. The deck is bolted together in 3 - 8'x10' sections.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161004_5.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	161548  

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Attachment 161547

We moved this deck 3 times from site to site. The deck is bolted together in 3 - 8'x10' sections.
Yep, mine is done in 4 - 4 x 8 sections with railings.