Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #1

Buying/Owning RV lot in RV subdivision

Need some advice. Not sure where to post. Considering buying a lot in a private RV subdivision in Texas. It's waterfront and you can't rent out the lot, you basically live there or vacation there. Are there any do's and don'ts to this? We started out wanting to buy an unrestricted lot but there aren't any available. Would love some advice.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #2

The only advice I can give you is that I have a good friend who did something similar in a campground south of here, he long term leased a lot in the campground but became dismayed when his neighbors got less than sociable. Don't believe I'd want to be locked into a lot but you aren't me.

I'd check the fine print as far as hookups and who pays for what and who handles lot maintenance and HOA fees if any.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #3

Thank you! We are looking to use it as a vacation property, not live long term there. The biggest draw is that it's waterfront and obviously we can have our MH there. But I'm starting to think about resale value if there is any at all. We would use it as a "camp" home site and only for weekends or vacation away.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #4

I would be careful. Their are RV lots for sale in Texas and Texas is open for business regarding economic development. As for water front, there are several around Texas. Both gulf and lake. I have found them to be very high priced and you are correct, you will not get much of a resale market. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #5

On the other hand........ Waterfront property is limited in availability and being a person who already owns a lot in a private resort in Florida I can tell you that having a piece of property all paid for at retirement upon which you can place your updated RV is sure an inexpensive way to retire. The other good thing I see in your question is that the community will not allow rentals. That is a good thing as you don't ever have to worry about a renter moving in next door to you with a peck of noisy kids and perhaps with the propensity do damage your property. As to the resale value later on that should not be a consideration if your intent is to one day spend a lot of time there. Besides it's waterfront property so that gives you a one up in the resale market. If you like the place and it has a good HOA go for it. If the HOA is minimal in rules and restrictions you might want to rethink it. What's the name of the park. We spend a couple of months a year in the Rio Grande Valley and might be interested in something like this ourselves as a second place.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #6

Waterfront is nice but is there any history of flooding? Flash flooding streams or coastal flooding can be a real pain. The local County Planning Office can tell you if it's in a flood zone or not.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggw View Post
Waterfront is nice but is there any history of flooding? Flash flooding streams or coastal flooding can be a real pain. The local County Planning Office can tell you if it's in a flood zone or not.
Excellent point and I assume some due diligence would be done before committing.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #8

My Uncle bought a "Lake Front Property" on Medina lake,Texas it is/was built for Irrigation in 1913,during "Dry Times" his Water Line is several Hundred Feet away from Shoreline! Youroo!!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
Dahagen

I don't know about Texas waterfront, but I own a riverside lot in an ownership RV resort in Idaho. All lots are owned by individuals. Each lot owner has one vote when it comes to issues in the park, HOA dues, and picking the Board of Directors. We have a full-time maintenance man, and everything except taxes and electricity are part of the HOA dues. We used to rent annually in an RV park, but had no say on anything. So make sure that if you buy a lot, you have control over costs, CC&R's, etc.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #10

Be sure that you are free to use anyone including yourself for the eventual sale. We saw some that were restricted to sale through "Authorized Agents Only"at 25% commission.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #11

Been there done that. If you can't do what you want don't buy. When you make that kind of investment you want the flexibility to rent out to off set your expenses or may a few bucks. As time goes by people and circumstances change, thing don't stay the same. Trust me on this.
flagstaffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffman View Post
Been there done that. If you can't do what you want don't buy. When you make that kind of investment you want the flexibility to rent out to off set your expenses or may a few bucks. As time goes by people and circumstances change, thing don't stay the same. Trust me on this.
They flip side of that is that your neighbors could also do anything they wish, including allowing short term rentals, junky structures, trash, etc. A strong POA and good deed restrictions can be important to you.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

Travelled for 10 years with TT's and then put a large unit into a seasonal park. All was good until the neighbour next door left and a new one moved in. The flavour of the street changed within 3 months. within 3 years we sold ours and vowed never to go permanent/seasonal again. That's our 2 cents worth. Each to their own.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #14

BuyING/owning RV lot

Bit difficult to answer without details. I would look at the development ownership. Are they solvent? Then look at HOA fees. Are they capped? You don't want them rising unlimited.
HOA rules: you do want restrictions. Make sure they are acceptable. For the person writing in that they don't want restrictions - they likely don't own a site. Would you want a neighbor doing "anything"??? People who are accepting of "anything goes" are exactly who you don't want as neighbors.
We own. Class A only. So we have to own that type of unit and seek a buyer who also is class A. RV business is booming. Many zoning areas will not permit added development of RV Parks. State camping can be hard to get even 11 months in advance. I believe there will be future value in this lifestyle.
We bought in Florida. Thought/hope we can use 4/5 months. We know we can rent 2 months of year through our office. We get 75% of income.
Good luck.
Quest9914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #15

Most folks use their RV's for TRAVEL,

If you want to be dirt bound ,simply purchase a small home or condo that you CAN rent most of the year when you are absent.

Here in FL folks bought "river front" back in the Fanny % Freddy forced boom and are paying very high property taxes , although they cant sell for 1/5 of the appraised value.

The costs of maint , HOA, and park fees , electric and taxes make lot ownership mostly for the retired folks too old to want to travel.

Here in FL (Glades county) electric costs $45 a month just to be hooked up .

Far cheaper to rent than purchase in most cases.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #16

I believe your question was buy or rent. So, you already know the 2 options. People here in Florida travel and own. At least some do. The good thing with RV's is you have the option. Some apparently enjoy rest stop city with diesel trucks clattering all night long. Upscale might be Walmart if you are permitted. The fact that quality places to stay are getting harder and harder to get in, is a fact that brought us to buy. Another feature is to be with a controlled community. Hard to find great transient people. I really enjoyed the people who created a dog run into my site in Indiana. Too bad we need some common sense rules but people seem to get worse with standards.
We enjoy some state parks if you can fit and get the reservation.
All developments are different. Best of luck with the decision best for you.
Quest9914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #17

I recently bought and improved an RV lot in SC on Lake Hartwell.

Whether rent or buy depends on how you will use it. Many, many people have a lot in the south, such as TX and one in the north. I was surprised how many are moving seasonally between the AZ, NV, TX and OR, WA, or MT. It is possible to do this without owning, of course. I think many are buying because they want to use it when they want to and its all theirs. It depends on you.

For me, it made sense to have a place that I can go when ever I want to; to act as a sort of base-camp when traveling and a place to live permanently if I ever need to.

The price was right and the value should increase. It is close enough to the mountains, which I love, and on the lake for family times during the summer. What I like about this certain one was the people and that it is well managed, even with a few full timers living there, it is not trashy. But, it also isn't a prestigious (stuck-up) motorcoach only... 5 year or newer type place. There are no popups, which I wouldn't care if it was and you can't rent it out... and I can see why its that way... family can stay all they want; if someone came up with a popup, there is a place for them to park it at no fee and stay with me.

It was one of the last ones to be sold, but one of the best ones for its lake view and required about $10K to improve it; I don't mind saying I have about $43K in it. The monthly cost is $100 month HOA fee which includes a boat slip, water and sewer, as well as a dumpster for your trash and electric ($45 minimum it seems).

I have been spending a month or two in N. GA or NC for the past several years and didn't like picky landlords or competing for a site. Last year was interesting...
But, again it was the people that motivated me to pick this one.

I've attached a few small photos... one a neighbor took after sleet fell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477090426326.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	128901   Click image for larger version

Name:	1477614676832.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	128902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170107_090710742.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	128903  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #18

I have an RV lot in the UP of MI. They are deeded lots and the RV park is run by a board of directors. Each lot owner has one vote on the board. The park is open from May 1st thru October 1st. There are water front lots on Lake Huron and boat docks. My lot is an interior lot. It has worked well for us. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote