Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #1

Getting into long-term seasonal

So it's finally confirmed that our family is getting a long-term seasonal site. We've been doing annual seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park for a number of years now and this summer added our names to the waiting list for a long-term site. At this park annual sites require applications in January and they do a draw in February. We've been fortunate to get sites in the past but wanted peace of mind knowing we'd always have a site there. Since we started seasonal camping this park has shrunk the number of seasonal sites available significantly. When we started they had 29 electrical and 25 unpowered sites. This past year they only offered twelve unpowered sites and had 30 applications!

Long-term seasonal campgrounds in this park are privately managed. We were #95 on the waiting list for the one we applied to, but fortunately for us they decided this fall to expand. They are expanding by 20 sites and offered them to those on the waiting list. We were fortunate to be in a position to invest in the buy-in costs but it covers our lease for three years so that helps a lot. Just this week we were informed officially that we're getting a site so now the planning starts on how we want to develop our new home away from home! We upgraded our trailer this fall to a 2011 Silverback 35K so that will be the first site it sits on, too!

I figure our first step will be putting up a fence as wind is often an issue, and this area of the park doesn't have a lot of trees. Beyond that maybe we'll build a deck this year as well. But any suggestions on what you may have done when developing a new seasonal site are welcome!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #2

A deck is a must. I built one 2 summers ago. It doubles the size of your trailer. Mine is level with the trailer. Our site is heavily treed. No grass. We installed gravel rock on our site. Love it. No more mud. The cat doesn't like it but that's his problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	192951
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Team

We have been seasonals for quite a few years now. I think the ability to put up a deck and a shed are 2 of the biggest positives for going seasonal.

I never have to worry about leveling my trailer. Never have to worry about stepping out onto muddy ground. I can just sit at my patio table, inside my metal screenroom on my deck and enjoy.

Name:	finisheddeck2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	192952

With the shed, I have plenty of room for my stuff (including bikes and a mower) so most of the storage compartments in my trailer are half empty.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
A deck is a must. I built one 2 summers ago. It doubles the size of your trailer. Mine is level with the trailer. Our site is heavily treed. No grass. We installed gravel rock on our site. Love it. No more mud. The cat doesn't like it but that's his problem.

Attachment 192951
I'd love to have a site with trees like that! It looks gorgeous. Our park does have sites very similar but it's in an area for nightly reservations. I hadn't thought of the deck as an extension of the trailer, but really it is, isn't it? We have an outdoor kitchen on our trailer, so we will probably have to keep our deck closer to the ground, but once we get the trailer in we'll know better where to set it.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We have been seasonals for quite a few years now. I think the ability to put up a deck and a shed are 2 of the biggest positives for going seasonal.

I never have to worry about leveling my trailer. Never have to worry about stepping out onto muddy ground. I can just sit at my patio table, inside my metal screenroom on my deck and enjoy.

Attachment 192952

With the shed, I have plenty of room for my stuff (including bikes and a mower) so most of the storage compartments in my trailer are half empty.
A shed is definitely on the list of things to get! We already have plans for what's going in it. The usual items, but maybe a small chest freezer as well. And yes, there won't be a better feeling than setting up the trailer this spring and knowing it's going to stay there!

Both replies mentioned muddy ground, and that certainly can be a thing to be concerned about but around here the past couple of years have featured intense heat (for us!) and drought. I won't mind a bit more rain!
Old 12-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #6

Trees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro80 View Post
I'd love to have a site with trees like that! It looks gorgeous. Our park does have sites very similar but it's in an area for nightly reservations. I hadn't thought of the deck as an extension of the trailer, but really it is, isn't it? We have an outdoor kitchen on our trailer, so we will probably have to keep our deck closer to the ground, but once we get the trailer in we'll know better where to set it.
Old saying: "Be careful what you wish for."

The Cherokee 38P sits year round on a site with lots of trees. The sweet gums drop those little spiny balls year-round. There are also several pines around the trailer and cabin.

If you look at pines, all the branches are at the top. As a pine grows, it sheds its lower branches. That's why they are favored for construction--all the knots are small. When a pine branch drops away from the tree, one end is the 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" stem; the other end is a the other end is a bunch of small branches with pine needles. The aerodynamics of the fall is that the heavy stem end comes first, like a missile. We have had the following:
  • Two gashes in the roof, fixed with Eternabond
  • One branch through a skylight--there's a separate thread on it
  • One branch that hit the Tahoe roof hard enough to put a dent in it
  • One that hit the galvanized steel cabin roof on a seam, forcing open the seam, and penetrating the roof. Two feet of branch hanging down inside.
  • Had to put gutter guards on the cabin's rain gutter because pf pine cones and straw.
All of this since early 2015.

So we have a great site, electricity, free water, nice shady cool spot, 70 Mbps internet. The cabin is fully insulated and enclosed, 12' x 15', with refrigerator with ice maker, and electricity. We can warm it in the winter with two oil-filled radiators. The deck is about 12' x 15'. Kind of annoying to clean up after the trees every time we go there, but the only thing I would really like different is to have a sewer connection instead of a Blueboy.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #7

Decks, Trees, Mud and Snow -Seasonal site

We've had a seasonal site for some time and are very pleased with the lifestyle. I would like to add to some of the comments so far. A deck is indeed a very valuable addition- especially in our case where our site is very shaded and it's nearly impossible to get grass to grow- so we need to get off the ground. It's also nice to be able to sit out under the awning in a gentle rain. I've attached some photos, and you'll note that the deck level is one step below the trailer floor. Our builder recommended this in order to avoid damage from drifted snow melting and packing against the trailer, and rotting out the doors from the bottom up. We are near Goderich, Ont, right in the heavy snow belt.
Trees- we have trees which drop an acorn sized nut, which makes an impressive noise when it hits the trailer roof, or the deck..I don't see any damage on the roof, but I may consider some kind of overcoat for protection, if there is such a thing. The nuts also make an impressive mark on one's bald head.
Attached are some photos- note that we had to incorporate a tree into the design. The deck is 10x24 feet.
In the photo with the finished project the handsome fella facing the camera is the builder, and on the right is my lovely wife.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Central Huron-20180702-0026.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	193011   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3096.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	193012   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3102.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	193013   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3139.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	193014  
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #8

We are also Full Time and Full Seasonal in our Ontario Park and again in our Texas Park. In Ontario, we have a 12 ft by 12 ft Deck with 10 X 12 foot Gazebo, BBQ and all the trimmings. Our Deck had to be built keeping in mind that we leave for 6 months to enjoy the Sunny South in Texas. The steps are built so they can be moved away from the 5th wheel when we are away and easily returned to position when we return. Only one small lonely tree for extra shade, but the birds love it. Main thing is that the deck gives you more living space and becomes part of your home.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #9

Congrats on getting your seasonal. We has one for 16 years on a small lake. The last few years got pretty boring and we sold the park model. Moved on to a couple fifth wheels since then and love being able to move around again. Don't be afraid to bail out when the time comes. There is life beyond the seasonal park.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Congrats on getting your seasonal. We has one for 16 years on a small lake. The last few years got pretty boring and we sold the park model. Moved on to a couple fifth wheels since then and love being able to move around again. Don't be afraid to bail out when the time comes. There is life beyond the seasonal park.
Perhaps someday we'll feel the same way, too. One never knows. We're a working family, with teenage kids still at home, and our closest friends use the same park, so I think we'll feel comfortable with the seasonal site for a while yet. I'm a beef cattle producer, so it's really tough to go very far from home for very long, too. Feeding in the winter, calving in the spring, putting up hay in the summer, hauling it in the fall...rinse and repeat!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #11

Nice deck

Nice deck but why do you have your joist hangers up side down?
Just wondering if there's a reason.
Tow Haul 3.55 rear
Hingham, Mass.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #12

Good observation on hangers. Think about it ,if u put hangers on first all joists would be same height. Personally I toe nail joists than place hangers.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Good observation on hangers. Think about it ,if u put hangers on first all joists would be same height. Personally I toe nail joists than place hangers.

I meant to say if u put hangers on upside down first.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt104 View Post
Nice deck but why do you have your joist hangers up side down?
Just wondering if there's a reason.
Good question. I hope there's an answer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote