Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Going Seasonal for the 1st Time

Hi, my family and I have been camping for a few years and are now going seasonal. Last year we purchased a Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature Series Trailer and this year will be our first time going seasonal. I'm curious if anyone has an idea on stabilizing the trailer for the time it will be there? We are planning to be seasonal for years to come.

Can't wait, season starts in 2 weeks
Briannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the FRF from NC! I moved your thread to our seasonal forum so you can get better answers.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briannh View Post
Hi, my family and I have been camping for a few years and are now going seasonal. Last year we purchased a Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature Series Trailer and this year will be our first time going seasonal. I'm curious if anyone has an idea on stabilizing the trailer for the time it will be there? We are planning to be seasonal for years to come.

Can't wait, season starts in 2 weeks
Travel Trailer or fifth wheel?

In either case, use blocks under the stabilizers, to keep the jacks from extending to their maximum reach. That will help a lot. Also, if it is a fifth wheel, a king pin tripod will help the front of the trailer.

You might also consider some bottle jacks or jack stands under the center of the frame rails, unless you have a six-point level-up system.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Welcome to the seasonal side of camping.
Put pressure treated 2x6 or 2x8 under the tires to prevent settling into the ground. Use concrete blocks under the stabilizers. Use enough so you don't have to lower the stabilizers more than a couple of inches. The farther you extend them, the more the wobble will be. The stabilizers are the weakest link. If you don't have stabilizers by the axles then use blocks and wood wedges in front and rear of the axles. Use 3 - 4 inch thick solid concrete blocks on the ground then stack regular blocks with the 2 or 3 holes, stacking them like you would if building a wall. Then use a solid 2 inch on the top. Use X-chocks or other such to block your tires. You will have to adjust them every so often unless your lucky to get them right the first time. If you don't block the tires there will always be a wobble.

Good luck, I had to redo my leveling and blocking after 3 years.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

BTW, if it is a fifth wheel, a king pin tripod will be a waste of money if done properly. Just get the curtain so you can use the area under the king pin for storage.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

Jacks and concrete blocks in front and behind the axle(s). Need to eliminate the springs. We had a struggle our first year with the trailer moving on a concrete slab until I purchased extra Manual Scissor Jacks online with a few concrete blacks. Some people around us use screw type jack from Harbor Freight. They claim that they are cheaper and work just as well.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Welcome,
Have fun stay safe and Happy Camping from Farmer NC
Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
JT Strongarms, X Chocks, another electric stabilizer mounted right in front of front axle, and step stabilizer
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Site Team

I've always found it best to eliminate the stabilizers and any jacks out of the equation completely and just build the cider blocks up to the frame with some wood and wood shims to fill in the gap between. Sort of like this:

Not my trailer, just an image I found on google but it gives the general idea.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #10

We have been full time for 3 years on the same site 4 years of being weekenders. Lots of good advice here's M2C. BLOCKS ❗️I also put blocks under the tires. Hard pipe your tanks if allowed❗️Put a T with a screw off cap (so you can see what's going down ) before the turn to the campsit drain. Get a Club Car Presadent golf cart not jacked up rides better and battery's won't rust out, happens 2-3 times a year here you would think people would learn. ��
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #11

I also extended my low-water drains to the sewer side of the camper and added two valves (Hot/Cold) to the very end of the extended lines. When I turn off the water, at the end of a visit, I open both valves to remove any pressure. I then close them off again. If there is any danger of freezing, I leave the valves open and walk through the camper opening all the drains to allow all the water out. I even will pull the plug on the hot water heater after it's off if I think a freeze is possible. After the camper drains, I close the low-point valves, re-install the hot water plug and go home. Almost past the time of year that you consider freezing temps though.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #12

Thank you everyone, very helpful
Briannh is offline   Reply With Quote