Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Post-season thoughts

I posted here last winter about an expansion in a long-term campground at our favorite provincial park here in Saskatchewan. We finally got into it this summer and this post will be some of my thoughts on the experience.

Unfortunately due to some delays in the process we could not move into our site until mid-June. Some of it had to do with the review process with the provincial government, and some had to do with delays with contractors. The campground manager had hoped to have us in by mid-May, but that didn't happen. It was disappointing but there wasn't much we could do about it except wait.

They held the site draw at the end of May, and we were fortunate to get the site we wanted. As it was new construction, some sites were pretty bare, but ours was in nice shape, with some grass and a nice shade/windbreak tree, and was very level as well. We moved our trailer onto the site a couple of weeks later, after quite a bit of rain, but had no trouble at all with soft ground. Our trailer is a 41-foot Silverback 35K, and fit just right as well.

We chose not to do much for improvements right away, so that we got a feel for the site. A lot of the other new sites were built up right away so it got us a bit itchy to get started, but it also gave us a few ideas as well (what to do and what not to do!). We found where water sat after heavy rain, and planned and replanned (several times!) how we might want to put a deck down. We did put four trees on our east side to eventually block some wind.

Despite the shortened season, we were able to enjoy our site quite often. We've been season at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park for several years through SaskParks annual applications, but it's really nice to finally be "permanent". As the season was coming to a close for us, we made some decisions and put in a shed and set down a deck. It's a two-part deck, with a larger area to the rear by the outdoor kitchen, and smaller area to the front. Next year we might make some improvements to the grass (perhaps lay sod), and we need to build some steps, but for the most part we can now just enjoy the site!

We winterized just before the end of September, as there was a winter storm forecast for the last weekend. It was a sad day, but it's nice to know that when spring arrives we can just drive up and open the trailer and enjoy it! Can't wait for May!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190922_094057 (1).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	218795  
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Looks good! One suggestion I would make would be a nice screen room on your deck. We have one and use it all the time. It gives us some nice shade, keeps the bugs out and gives us a place to sit and eat or talk outside even when it's raining.

It looks like you would have room on your deck right where your table is.
Here is ours:

Name:	finisheddeck1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	218796
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #3

we just moved in to our permanent site in July. We are planning on an 8x24 deck in the spring. If I may ask.... Did you build your deck in sections and bolt together? Or did you build solid?
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #4

Deck construction

Our deck is two pieces, screwed together. The larger section is 16'x18', and the smaller is 16'x10'. It sits on cement 12"x12" paver stones with a layer of gravel under it to deter the little critters from making homes underneath (specifically mice and bush rabbits in our campground).

You can get an idea of how it went together in the photo I've attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190921_144954.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	218843  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggcowan View Post
we just moved in to our permanent site in July. We are planning on an 8x24 deck in the spring. If I may ask.... Did you build your deck in sections and bolt together? Or did you build solid?
Our CG requires us to build our deck in sections no bigger than 10x10. Makes it easier if it ever needs to be moved for whatever reason.

An 8x24 should be easily split up into 3 8x8 sections.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

8x8 was exactly what I was planning. Thank you so much for your input. Yours looks great!
Old 11-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Looks good! One suggestion I would make would be a nice screen room on your deck.
Thanks! Morning coffee on the deck will have a great view of the marina/river. Maybe even sunrise if the coffee maker works that early in the day

We do have a screen room / gazebo in the plans for over the table area. But that'll likely wait a couple years yet (oh, wait....the deck wasn't in the plans for Year 1 but look at that!). For now, sun shelter will be the awning on the trailer or the umbrella at the table (not shown).

Sadly we got to enjoy the finished deck for a total of 1 day. We built it Saturday, finished securing deck boards Sunday and headed home Monday. Back up Tuesday to winterize as the freezing temps came early up here. But now it's done and ready to enjoy come May.
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
D W

I'm confused. Is this really "camping", or is it "homesteading" ?

I can't imagine going to the same place all the time.

Sorry, just too many places to visit with a lot to do at those places.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

Valid point. We decided the end of 2017-early 2018 to go with cabin and acreage and closed on one Sept 2018. Put TT up for sale...(still is) and will keep improving cabin with plans to eventually retire down there.

Gotta add. Don't have to winterize cabin and it's available for us to use 24/7/365
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:

For some, the adventure of travel is more appealing. I get that. For us, a working family, the seasonal site is more practical. I'm a beef cattle farmer, and the summer months are the busiest time of year for me. I can't schedule time off ahead of time, as any time off in the summer is dependent on the weather. It's far easier to just head up to the lake and enjoy ourselves. No packing/unpacking. No fighting the reservation system. And we have a nice group of friends that we enjoy spending time with at the park we're set up in.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro80 View Post
For some, the adventure of travel is more appealing. I get that. For us, a working family, the seasonal site is more practical. It's far easier to just head up to the lake and enjoy ourselves. No packing/unpacking. No fighting the reservation system. And we have a nice group of friends that we enjoy spending time with at the park we're set up in.
I agree with all of this.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:

I'm confused also.... Is this a camping forum? I thought it was an RV forum... Lots of uses, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:

I agree, the DW and I could never imagine going to one place all the time. We bought a RV to travel and go to different places. That's why they have wheels!

We've done extensive travel, domestically and overseas. We have learned that there are too many wonderful places in the world, that could never be explored in a lifetime.

But I do understand that not everyone has wanderlust like us and others find seasonal sites as a much easier and convenient lifestyle for getting away.

So, as always, to each their own and nothing wrong with whatever type of camping fits you. It's all good. Different strokes for different folks.[emoji41]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

I own a 120 acre tree farm that all of our friends utilize for camping. I can see the benefit of not dealing with crowds on busy weekends. We stay at the tree farm on Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day weekend, and during the hunting season. At other times, I want to see other sites and camp throughout the midwest. We frequently take off for a month and see other parts of the country.
We do it and understand why others do also.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #15

Funny how many huge RVs that were purchased to see the world end up in our seasonal park.

Bruce
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #16

We went seasonal two years ago mainly for health reasons. For us it was the right decision. We spent 70 nights there this past summer. Throw in cooler for adult beverages, some food, and maybe some clothing. To each his own.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #17

Quote:

What confuses me is I have read 100's if not 1000's of posts over the years by Canadians about how hard it is to get a campsite in their Provincial parks for a few days or weekend, and their park system rent's seasonal sites? Well no wonder.

I read the rules out of curiosity. So you have to pack up the deck and take it home before Sept 30th? Seems like a real PITA.

What I read says you have to remove the rig by Sept 30th. You can leave the deck? If thats the case why can't you leave the rig? It also says Cannabis is allowed lol. Someone must be hitting it hard in administration.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #18
D W

We have run the "slot" (Alaska Hwy), many, many times. Never had a problem getting into a PP in YT or BC. Could be a east of the Rockies thing, though.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
What confuses me is I have read 100's if not 1000's of posts over the years by Canadians about how hard it is to get a campsite in their Provincial parks for a few days or weekend, and their park system rent's seasonal sites? Well no wonder.

I read the rules out of curiosity. So you have to pack up the deck and take it home before Sept 30th? Seems like a real PITA.

What I read says you have to remove the rig by Sept 30th. You can leave the deck? If thats the case why can't you leave the rig? It also says Cannabis is allowed lol. Someone must be hitting it hard in administration.
It can be confusing, but at least around here (Saskatchewan parks), there are different levels of seasonal, and both are separate from "nightly" bookings.

With nightly, there are "Max Stay" sites, where campers are limited to 14 nights. Then there are a few sites that are unlimited. Both pay the full nightly rate.

SaskParks also offers seasonal camping, annual seasonal, where campers have to book every year. These sites are open from May long weekend (Victoria Day in Canada) until Sept. 30. These sites do NOT allow improvement, as the camper is out every fall. Not all provincial parks in Saskatchewan offer seasonal camping, and some don't offer serviced sites. We did three years of this type of camping, one year powered, and two unpowered with a hefty solar system.

The other type of seasonal site, which we're in now, is private long-term seasonal. These are the ones that allow site improvements. In our case we're on a three-year lease which we can stay on. and renew, as long as we keep paying the fee. While we are on provincial park property, the specific camp ground is managed by a third party. There are two such private long-term seasonal campgrounds in Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park, and seven directly managed by the park for nightly camping. There are 342 nightly sites, and only 12 seasonal directly managed by this park. The private campgrounds offer over 250 long-term seasonal sites, with huge waiting lists to get in.

By far the biggest reason people have trouble getting sites is that that the desire to "camp" has exploded here. In Saskatchewan, they introduced an online reservation system and had to stagger the opening day for reservations for each park to manage the load over the first week of April as the system was being brought to its knees. People often take the morning off from work in order to endure the first day of reservations to get their summer holiday booked.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggcowan View Post
I'm confused also.... Is this a camping forum? I thought it was an RV forum... Lots of uses, different strokes for different folks.
I like this post and obviously agree. Seasonal sites are not for everyone. Some of the advantages though are you get maximum usage from your super expensive RV and camping is so easy.

Arrive with no reservations or setup. Turn on the lights and water. Grab beer from fridge, light campfire, you are camping.

When we owned a mobile RV, 3 days to prepare to camp and 3 days once we get home to unpack and clean. Camper used a few weeks a year. Seasonal sites are used most warm weekends with no preparation or post camping trouble.

Not for everyone though but it's a really nice option for some.

Bruce....
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote