Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Receiving and depositing/cashing checks

Hello everyone,
I didn't want to highjack the receiving mail service forums, but I have a sililar question. Currently my mail is forwarded to my mother's address as I am migrating south and I do have direct deposit for my primary income. Recently I received a refund check from my water utility company and also a VA Medical Travel reimbursement via a private contractor.

My question to those who still receive checks, how do you deposit/cash them while on the road?
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
Hello everyone,
I didn't want to highjack the receiving mail service forums, but I have a sililar question. Currently my mail is forwarded to my mother's address as I am migrating south and I do have direct deposit for my primary income. Recently I received a refund check from my water utility company and also a VA Medical Travel reimbursement via a private contractor.

My question to those who still receive checks, how do you deposit/cash them while on the road?

If you have a smart phone & your bank has "mobile deposit" capabilities then you can just take a photo of the front & rear of the check through their mobile app. and deposit it that way. We do it all the time.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

Most banks will accept mail deposits. My bank (Schwab) doesn't even require a deposit slip. Just write: "For deposit only, Acct #, Name of bank" and your signature on the back of the check.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

As Rracer said see if your bank has a mobil app, most do. I sign my checks open the app it prompts you to take a picture of both sides and its in my account the same day if I do it before 10pm
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer330 View Post
As Rracer said see if your bank has a mobil app, most do. I sign my checks open the app it prompts you to take a picture of both sides and its in my account the same day if I do it before 10pm

X2, yeah, I forgot that part.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #6

I just mobile deposited 2 checks today and my bank doesn't even require me to sign the back for the photograph. Just take a picture of both sides and it goes in.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

If you bank at a Credit Union most of them belong to a national network. I have deposited and cashed checks through them.
1998 Rockwood popup
John Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We use a mobile app to deposit checks, manage bank accounts etc. USAA also will reimburse ATM fees.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #9

If your bank doesn't have an app that does deposit by photo, and you're looking for one that does, check out State Farm Bank. We switched to them back in 2002 before moving overseas because they had the best online banking. Still very happy with them. And they also automatically reimburse fees charged by the ATM owner.

Their only down side is that they don't have any brick-and-mortar branches, so you can't face to face with someone. But that's never been a problem for us.

Before the phone app, they supplied postage-paid envelopes for mail-in deposits. Not sure if they still do.

Just a happy customer, no dog in the hunt...

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Just send all your checks to the platokidd foundation and be done with it

We use the app.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #11

Most banks I have dealt with will accept an endorsement of "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY... ACCOUNT NUMBER xxxxxx" No signature required. Have your Mom ask your bank if they accept this.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #12

V.A

I don't know if by VA you meant Virginia, or Veterans Admin, but if it is Veterans Admin, they require direct deposit now. and you should NOT have to go through a private company, unless they got your disability settlement for you (requiring a deduction for themselves).
Almost all travel money is now direct deposited, with the largest medical centers now doing travel claims via a kiosk at each clinic. Totally painless.
Your VA checks should also go to direct deposit, that was mandated several years ago. There is a system online for changing your bank, and the bank will allow you to transfer your money from Checking to Savings, all on line. Most bills can be paid on-line now too. My wife almost NEVER writes a check or cashes a check. all our bills are either auto-draw, or on-line. She can keep an eye on every bill on her phone.
She also has our charge cards monitored, so we know when ever either of us charges something immediately, or on the rare occasion that a fraudulent use occurs. It is an automatic email for every single charge. Within seconds of the charge.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I don't know if by VA you meant Virginia, or Veterans Admin, but if it is Veterans Admin, they require direct deposit now. and you should NOT have to go through a private company, unless they got your disability settlement for you (requiring a deduction for themselves).
//snip//.
For the most part that's accurate. However, we recently took my dad for two different visits with a Veteran's Administration contractor, who sent us checks for travel expenses. Directly from contractor.

Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
Old 10-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #14

I receive a check for Travel each time I go to the VA for an appointment
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #15

Thanks everyone, but i should have explained in more detail the issues I'm having. I do have online banking and have used the mobile apps. The issue is that the checks are forwarded to my mother's address in PA and I am currently on the road and most Thousand Trails and Encore campgrounds does not accept mail for campers. I have looked into mail services, but most of them provide PDF scans of your mail. So, the question have is how do those who receive checks through the mail cash/deposit them?

Also, my Veterans Comp and Pen exam and travel reimbursement was provided through a government contractor.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
Thanks everyone, but i should have explained in more detail the issues I'm having. I do have online banking and have used the mobile apps. The issue is that the checks are forwarded to my mother's address in PA and I am currently on the road and most Thousand Trails and Encore campgrounds does not accept mail for campers. I have looked into mail services, but most of them provide PDF scans of your mail. So, the question have is how do those who receive checks through the mail cash/deposit them?

Also, my Veterans Comp and Pen exam and travel reimbursement was provided through a government contractor.
I assume there is a branch of your bank near your mother's house? Just get her a rubber stamp that says "For Deposit Only to Account # XXX-XXXX-XXXX, Bank of ?????????. She can stamp the back of the checks when they arrive in her mail and just drop them in the bank's night depository slot. That's how most business made deposits in the past, and I'm sure quite a few that accept checks still deposit them. Should be no problem, assuming your mom can still get out/around to go by the bank.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I assume there is a branch of your bank near your mother's house? Just get her a rubber stamp that says "For Deposit Only to Account # XXX-XXXX-XXXX, Bank of ?????????. She can stamp the back of the checks when they arrive in her mail and just drop them in the bank's night depository slot. That's how most business made deposits in the past, and I'm sure quite a few that accept checks still deposit them. Should be no problem, assuming your mom can still get out/around to go by the bank.
Or just have her write it.

I'm not a banker, but years ago I was told that on deposits 'For Deposit Only' can be used without a signature. And is the safest way to deposit. I've done that for years and never had trouble. Found the following online:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfinancialwingman.com
Instead of signing your name on the endorsement line, another option is to write “For deposit only” on the back of the check. This is called a restrictive endorsement because it is declaring the check limited to deposits, meaning it can not be cashed. You may choose to present the check for deposit without providing an endorsement of your own.

As I mentioned above, my bank used to provide 'business reply' (stamped) envelopes for mail deposits. If your bank isn't near your mum, she may be able to mail 'em in. Check with your bank.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
Always Learning

Agree- my monster-in-law gets a monthly check (in my name) from one of my clients and is able to deposit it into my local credit union. She just writes on the back of the check.

Otherwise, keep asking at the campgrounds- I've found many TT + Encore parks to allow packages and often times pieces of mail. The northwest and Texas have been less friendly to it than other parts of the country.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
If you have a smart phone & your bank has "mobile deposit" capabilities then you can just take a photo of the front & rear of the check through their mobile app. and deposit it that way. We do it all the time.
X2...........too simple!
Old 10-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #20

Agree with hankpac, Why not just have the payee send them electronically to your bank instead of mailing them to her? If they won't send the amount to your account, have them send it to your mother's bank account and you can then move it over to your account..if she'll let you have her password or be joint owner. Almost all companies want to go "paperless" these days.

Tags
check