Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

rv dish question

We have moved our camper to a seasonal site and am thinking of getting a Dish antenna and receiver. what antenna should I get, tailgater, playmaker, tripod? wondering about which one would be the best and also how do you secure it against theft? the park we are in does not have any problems with vandalism or theft. What is the best way to buy the set up. Local RV dealer, online, or through Dish?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by virstens View Post
We have moved our camper to a seasonal site and am thinking of getting a Dish antenna and receiver. what antenna should I get, tailgater, playmaker, tripod? wondering about which one would be the best and also how do you secure it against theft? the park we are in does not have any problems with vandalism or theft. What is the best way to buy the set up. Local RV dealer, online, or through Dish?

I believe the Playmaker is the newest but it will only accommodate one TV which is all we have. My understanding is it has metal gears in it vs plastic gears in the tailgator. Dealer told me they had a lot coming bCk with stripped gears cause they donít take very much abuse hence the Playmaker. It is a little heavier. I got from a Dish dealer incorrectly thinking they would hook it up like they did my house. And they will for $125 an hour so I would advise you to buy it at the least cost cause either way you are on your own. If you connect directly to the Wally it is pretty darn simple. Oth, hooking it to your RV is a whole different ball game which is probably why they charge a lot for installs. I am currently just trying to understand how to make mine work.

Good luck

Alan

Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

The Dish Playmaker Dual model will support two outputs: https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-pla...h-wally-black/

The playmaker is supposed to have 20% better reception. Hooking it up to your RV just depends on how your RV was cabled. If yours goes through a splitter, you just need to replace the splitter with one that works with satellite TV. We would go with the automatic portable again. Love the versatility. 10 minutes to setup and start watching TV anywhere. But if you are at a semi-permanent seasonal site, a regular dish and tripod would be a lot cheaper. You can usually find free permanent dishes at any apartment complex.

We have used a Tailgater for 6 years with excellent results, and it has been abused. If I was to buy a new one now, I would get the new dual output King Tailgater.

We never worried about theft, so can't help you there.

Decide what you want and then just search for the best price. We got ours in a nice package deal at an RV rally. Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #4

Tripod open faced dish is definitely cheaper. And since your sitting in one place hiring a local contractor for around a hundred dollars to come and lock on to sats seems like a good deal to me.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If your using a Hopper system, it doesn't configure with tailgater / Playmaker. The playmaker only works with a Wally type receiver.
elind is online now   Reply With Quote