Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #21

We leave our trailer on site. If the snow load starts to build up we get an email from the c.g. owner. Some campers will head up there and shovel off their roof. We have made arrangements with the caretaker who lives there full time to shovel us off if needed. So far this year, we've only gotten one of those emails.

Last year we really had very little snow and temps. were far above normal. This became a problem, as we ended up with a terrible mouse invasion! We do not leave any food or linens when we close up for the season, but that didn't stop them from moving in. They built nests under cabinets with toilet paper and Handi-wipes I had left behind. We found lots of acorns and pine cone remains. Not really sure how they were getting in, as my husband had filled all the areas around pipes, etc. but they had run of the trailer all winter. It took us 6 hours of cleaning on opening weekend to get rid of all their evidence and sanitize the unit!

We have tried everything from dryer sheets to moth balls and Fresh Cab, and finally Decon to get rid of them and it took half the camping season to succeed. Have checked the trailer once this winter and only see slight evidence so far. Hoping we don't return to the same mess again at opening!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
One Happy Camper!

We own a very nice large lot in a recreational community in north central Il. It is open year round, but it gets pretty deserted after labor day. This is home base for us when we are not towing. We like all the activities for the kids during the summer. We have built a small deck, a gravel driveway and a little fire pit. We have full hook-ups water, electric, sewer that make it effortless to get some camping in when we only have a day or two free.

You can check out the place here: Woodhaven Lakes

We own our lot and pay an annual HOA of around 1k which in my opinion is a bargain for all the amenities. We also have to pay the property taxes about 100 bucks a year and our electric is metered. Our highest electric bill ever was about $15. Total cost annually is right around 1300. The value of the time with family is priceless.

Like others have said, when we are ready to hit the road we hitch up and off we go.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
One Happy Camper!

Here is a picture of our lot at Woodhaven, although it is hard to see how nice it is in the summer with all the leaves gone and the snow on the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130321_080128.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	26037

SPPD

Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
Here is a picture of our lot at Woodhaven, although it is hard to see how nice it is in the summer with all the leaves gone and the snow on the ground. SPPD
Looks like a very nice private site!!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #25

We have a seasonal site at the KOA in the summer. WE try to head to BC for the winter and have a site in Nanaimo. Present time we tow the TT back and forth we are considering purchasing a 2nd trailer and leaving one in Ont and one in BC. The trailer in Ont can be left on the site all year the one in BC will have to be moved to a storage site for the summer.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #26

It's great to see a thread on Seasonal camping. We are seasonals in JellyStone park in Woodridge upstate NY. I can't wait for Friday night after work to pack the car up and head north. We live in Long Island so it's about 95 miles to the campsite. I work in Manhattan mostly so its pretty hectic from Monday to Friday, so to get away from the hustle and bustle and to the quiet of the Catskills Mountains is great.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
One Happy Camper!

Here is a nicer picture of our lot we own in a recreational community in N. Central, IL. It needed to be mowed lol!

SPPDClick image for larger version

Name:	20120708_145222.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	26078

Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #28
MI Camperz

Love the pics. Thanks for sharing. That Woodhaven Lakes is a bargain!!! And only 2 hours from Chicago. Bonus! And...if I lived near NYC and worked in Manhattan, my nerves would be shot, I'd have to get away too!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #29

does any one use a 100 lb propane tank. If so how did you hook it up.

This july will be my first full year as a seasonal. I have 2 30lb tank but want to add a 100 lb as well. I use my camper during nov and dec and into jan. an a few time during feb and march.

What I want to do is figure out how to have all 3 tanks set up. what I was thinking was having I t come off one side with a shut off for a 30lb and a 100lb. well it just a thought at this time. I do plan to talk to a few people who know more about it before I deside what to do.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
MI Camperz

Question Space heaters

Anyone have any luck with space heaters? We try to use two instead of burn propane, but often trip the breakers. Anyone with a tip on this? We have 30 amp.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #31

Some people have large auxiliary LP tanks where we have our seasonal site. They were installed/hooked up by the local LP company that fills the LP tank for CG pool heater. They rent the tank for $5 per year and are on a 'keep full' status. You might want to look in yellow pages for LP/Propane dealers near where your seasonal site is.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #32
MI Camperz

That sounds like a great idea. Will pass to DH to look into.
Thank you!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #33

We totally agree, we do both have a site seasonal 2 hrs from home and have a 2000 2363 Sunline we head to Myrtle Beach, and Lancaster PA in. Seasonal is great, just to chill, kick back and let the campfire burn. Its nice to have everything waiting for you on Friday nights, load up our dogs, and off we go. Nice "community" breakfast, we all take turns on the invites, and we also stay in hotels in the winter with many of our camping friends just to keep in touch. Come on next fri, its set up time in VA.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Anyone have any luck with space heaters? We try to use two instead of burn propane, but often trip the breakers. Anyone with a tip on this? We have 30 amp.
If your TT is like ours all the 15 amp plugs are on one breaker. If you try to run 2 heaters you will trip the breaker. I found that if I plugged one into the outlet for the water heater, i stopped tripping the breaker. I have thought about running an outlet off the AC breaker. You will not be running the air and heat at the same time.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #35
MI Camperz

Sounds like an easy solution. Do you have to unplug the hot water heater? Or, does there happen to be a plug near it that you can use?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #36

I unplug the water heater and just use propane to heat the water. If you leave the WH turned off and only turn it on about 1/2 hour before you need hot water you will not use too much propane.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
MI Camperz

Excellent suggestion. Thank you very much!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #38

We have used a 100lb. tank and you can get some type of an adapter (regulator?) with the longer hose. Ask at you local camping supply store. They'll know what it is. One tank takes us through from Spring to Fall, but we do most cooking outdoors and usually heat our water with electric, so only a minimal amount of gas is used, mostly for heating. We use an oil filled type electric heater (looks like the old steam radiators) and haven't had an issue, but we only use one.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomp58 View Post
We have used a 100lb. tank and you can get some type of an adapter (regulator?) with the longer hose. Ask at you local camping supply store. They'll know what it is. One tank takes us through from Spring to Fall, but we do most cooking outdoors and usually heat our water with electric, so only a minimal amount of gas is used, mostly for heating. We use an oil filled type electric heater (looks like the old steam radiators) and haven't had an issue, but we only use one.
Thanks, I plan to check with a couple of deals in the area. Also have a friend at work that has a 100 lb tank set up, I plan to stop at his trailer to check it out.

I plan to run the 30lb tanks during the summer. They are easier to refill as needed. The 100lb tank to more for nov and dec. I have a space heater but thinking of getting one of the oil fill heater as to help with the heating.

I just bought a Q100 grill for out side cooking as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #40
MI Camperz

Anybody wanna talk birds?

I have never been much of a bird lady, but my neighbor at our CG is. I only know 2 things that I chose to remember from her and that I plan to implement this summer.

1. Sugar water in a hummingbird feeder attracts hummingbirds. Those I love so will do this.
2. Thistle seed in a seed feeder will attract the most stunning, playful, bright yellow finches.
How Do I Attract Yellow Finches to My Yard? | eHow.com

Any others?

Lynn
Closed Thread