Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Seeing how this is the seasonal thread and I'm sure some of you are using a water softener. I ran across this today https://www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html.
Looks like a good price.
Any who looking for input as I would like to get one for next season.

That's pretty interesting. I'd like to hear first hand knowledge as well.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #702

I bought a similar one from the RV Water Filter Store (more expensive). I used it this past season but not very much due to health issues. Have not regenerated it yet due to the low usage. I also added a ceramic water filter upstream of the water softener. When I winterized the filter it had a large accumulation of rust. This probably took a load off of the water softener. I love the ceramic filter. It is expensive but it cleans the water very good and it is cleanable.
We are going to a new seasonal campground next year and I was told the water smells and tastes awful. Other campers said they use a water softener to make the water usable. I will see how it works next year with the poor quality of water.
P.S. Make sure you winterize the softener at the end of the season. I blew mine out with an air compressor. You can also drain the water out by turning it over with the hoses disconnected.
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/SoftenersMineral.htm
Old 02-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #703

Gotta be honest... i love the fact that i'm just relaxing and waiting... waiting and relaxing... and not stressing out about finding good sites, working around summer camps, or waiting on friends to decide what weekends they're available.
We will be stopping at our campsite on Friday to check things out. We cant camp or have services on until mid-April, but have 365 day access to our site/unit. All the nice weather last week sure got us chomping.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #704
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Gotta be honest... i love the fact that i'm just relaxing and waiting... waiting and relaxing... and not stressing out about finding good sites, working around summer camps, or waiting on friends to decide what weekends they're available.
We will be stopping at our campsite on Friday to check things out. We cant camp or have services on until mid-April, but have 365 day access to our site/unit. All the nice weather last week sure got us chomping.
Is it mid-April yet

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #705

Quote:
I have to agree, one of the nicest things about seasonal is not stressing about reserving a site. Drive out, unlock the door, put out the awning and grab a cold beverage.
We are planning to have our new rig delivered the third week of April. Should be right on time, just came off the line last week.
Hopefully your cleanup goes well with no surprises.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #706

Seasonal camping thread

We have decided that the initial plan is to leave the slide out all season, bringing it in once a month to keep things moving. What do you all use on your rubber seals to keep them in good shape? I read somewhere that aerospace 303 was good, but it has mixed reviews on Amazon. Currently using CRC silicon spray.
Also... I'm going to make steps up into the camper. Since I currently have 2 steps, I was planning on going with a two step riser. Any advantage/disadvantage of going to a 3-step? I was thinking a 3-step would give us a little more room coming out of the camper before the first step, but it would also extend out another foot at the bottom, possibly being in the way of foot traffic... Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #707
Insert witty title here

10 days until we start waking our camper up from her long winter's nap. There's still 6 weeks to go before our first trip but I have a long list of things to do get her ready.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 03-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #708
Site Team

Quote:
We have decided that the initial plan is to leave the slide out all season, bringing it in once a month to keep things moving. What do you all use on your rubber seals to keep them in good shape? I read somewhere that aerospace 303 was good, but it has mixed reviews on Amazon. Currently using CRC silicon spray.
I use this stuff. I believe you can also get it at Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-4.../dp/B0027MBE9U

Quote:
Also... I'm going to make steps up into the camper. Since I currently have 2 steps, I was planning on going with a two step riser. Any advantage/disadvantage of going to a 3-step? I was thinking a 3-step would give us a little more room coming out of the camper before the first step, but it would also extend out another foot at the bottom, possibly being in the way of foot traffic... Thoughts?
I just bought a couple of pre-cut risers and steps from Menard's I only have 3 steps on my trailer but had to go with a 5-step riser to get the height I wanted. I guess it really depends how much yard you have in front of your trailer. Ours doesn't seem to stick out too badly.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #709

Quote:
We have been seasonal campers for 5 or 6 years. We love it and don't miss the towing, the set up, take down, trying to get site, the cost of towing and wear and tear on the Suburban. We had built a deck and added stairs with a landing just outside the door so that we could step on there, stand there, even place items there, before going into the camper. It was the best move we made and it was suggested by my wife. Unfortunately I have developed Charcot foot, tho' I am not diabetic. Our hope is to get camping in late April, or at least set it up. We missed most of last year because wife had her knee replaced. Can't wait for spring . . . we are expecting up to 6 inches of the white stuff in Central WI today.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I use this stuff. I believe you can also get it at Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-4.../dp/B0027MBE9U
X2
Old 03-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #711

X2
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Is it mid-April yet
April 15 can't get here soon enough! Of course, on the first day of meteorological spring, the weather outside is more wintery than anything (blustery, cold, and snowy)... I haven't had a chance to open the camper up and do anything since mid-October, so I'm getting impatient for a stretch of nice weather to come back our way!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #713

Last weekend it was in the 60s on Saturday and Sunday (Mid-state WI) and we went up to our seasonal site, campfire, beer, stayed over night. Came home on Sunday. Campground owner said that he would turn on the water but I didn't want to have to re-winterize. We brought water along for coffee, washing, and toilets. Re-winterized the toilet and sink before we left. Camping last November and now in February. Never did that before.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
Last weekend it was in the 60s on Saturday and Sunday (Mid-state WI) and we went up to our seasonal site, campfire, beer, stayed over night. Came home on Sunday. Campground owner said that he would turn on the water but I didn't want to have to re-winterize. We brought water along for coffee, washing, and toilets. Re-winterized the toilet and sink before we left. Camping last November and now in February. Never did that before.
Living in Central WI we are envious of your ability to get to camper. Either too much snow or the ground was too wet and soggy. I haven't been to the camper since mid-September.

We don't have access to our camper from October through April. Have you found something that helps keep mice out or at least to a minimum??
Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #715

Fresh Cab, Bounce dryer sheets, lots of peppermint oil and mothballs.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #716

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Fresh Cab, Bounce dryer sheets, lots of peppermint oil and mothballs.
We use Fresh Cab (I have about eight packs of that stuff in the trailer right now) and dryer sheets. I've also heard that parking the trailer on a cement pad makes a difference.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #717

We use Tom-cat bait stations and single use stations on both the outside and inside of our camper. Maybe a half dozen outside and a dozen inside. Also expanded foamed all the pipes and holes that give the critters easy access. Some of our neighbors had significant issues last year but we didn't.

Our campground is open all year around. They even plow in winter. Until today, the Milwaukee area has been snow free for several weeks. When we got to our site, there was 50% snow coverage. When I started our campfire, some water appeared in the fire ring due to melting the frost out of the ground. We had a few neighbors around us too. Some just drove up for the day and a few others stayed over night, like we did. No trace of mice in our around our RV or in our shed.

We love our seasonal site.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #718

Smile First timers

This will be our first time seasonal camping and also first time having a trailer! Hopefully it will allow us to camp a lot more than on the past. The campground is about two hours from home. We plan on leaving after work every Friday. The owner said we could bring the camper up there any time and we hope to get it up there in the next couple of weeks, I want to get everything just the way we think we want it so we don't have to work on it much at the campground

Nights camped 2016 3
Nights camped 2017 46
Nights camped 2018 20
Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #719

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryNc View Post
This will be our first time seasonal camping and also first time having a trailer! Hopefully it will allow us to camp a lot more than on the past. The campground is about two hours from home. We plan on leaving after work every Friday. The owner said we could bring the camper up there any time and we hope to get it up there in the next couple of weeks, I want to get everything just the way we think we want it so we don't have to work on it much at the campground
Welcome to the seasonal side of the forum.
Have fun on your new adventure.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryNc View Post
We almost always travel on a Friday evening after 7pm and find the traffic in our part of the world is very light. At this time of day, the RV/cottage crowd has taken a half day at work and are already at their destination. We kind of have the road to ourselves. We arrive at the camper around 9pm, put out a bowl of water for the dogs, move stuff into the fridge, turn on the water, open a can of beer and we are camping.

+1 - Welcome to the seasonal side of the forum.
Closed Thread